*** The official late 2020 Mac mini thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

Man of Honour
First disappointment, and one that's my fault as I should have double checked. But M1 chips don't support multiple displays via USB-C like with the Intel Macs. So I currently can only use one of my monitors and have to buy an HDMI cable for the other one :( annoying

Last edited:
Associate
Been fine here on Bluetooth. Logitech K810, K380 and MX Master. Using a G703 as well, as the MX Master isn’t the best for gaming (_tiny_ delay playing WoW).

Managed to beach ball a bit on software though, after DaisyDisk scanned my unRAID server and took its merry own time doing that. To be expected though, really. Other than that and the gaming delay, all been fine though.

Soldato
How's the Bluetooth on these Mac Minis? Beginning to see reports of big problems with it which is a bit concerning.
Had my magic touchpad and magic keyboard drop out a few times, happened on my 2018 mini also, wouldn’t surprise me if it was a problem with the case or antennas as it’s the same design.

Doesn’t happen often enough to bug me but it’s there.

Associate
What external storage are you guys using?

I have the below, but cannot get better than 5Gbps

1TB NVME in external drive 400/450 approx Blackmagic test
2TB Samsung 860 SSD 400/450 approx with Blackmagic test

I have seen Orico Thunderbolt NVME 40Gbps external enclosure but its £99!

Oh yeah mine is running all good with my Samsung G9 49" 5120x144P (60hz)

Associate
Got a 2TB laptop SSHD in an enclosure for slow/large, and a 250GB NVMe in an enclosure and that hits 500 average, which I’m guessing is an interface limit of the 30 quid enclosure. Would live to get native speed of the NVMe drive, but suspect it needs a better quality enclosure.

To be honest, most stuff I’d be using - photos etc - is on unRAID box, although pointing a non native version of Daisy Disk at the share beach balled!

Monitor is a 32” 4K Philips via HDMI, no problems there.

Associate
So I've just caved and ordered the base model with 16gb of ram to replace a 2013 fully specced 15" macbook pro. When I purchased my mbp i would have classified myself as a 'power user' as I used to do a lot of heavy duty photo and video editing, but these days times (and careers) have changed and I've been holding out for something I could use at home to supplement my ipad Pro which i use on the go, as I'm returning to being a part time student and now only dable in the arts.

i stupidly ummed and arghed over whether this was what I wanted even though I'd been waiting for an updated mac mini so now I'm unfortunately in the batch that won't ship till start of Jan.

Looking forward to following along and seeing how you guys and gals fine using them in the mean time.

Last edited:
Associate
Re: the reported issues in various forums on WiFi and Bluetooth being a bit stroppy - just had around 24+ hours of pretty much zero WiFi and the Bluetooth devices being choppy as the North Sea in Winter... turns out the external hard drive had slipped and covered the Apple logo on top (wireless signal window I believe?)!

Cover the logo with something that's mostly metal, and it'll block the signal on the most part. Normal, glowing and Apple-fawning service resumed now I've worked that out.

Back
Top Bottom