Spec me a new vacuum cleaner, please!

Soldato
OP
You guys are legends!

I will try and persuade her to get a corded one as I'm spending 300 plus to have to clean the thing every week for half an hour.

The house is a mixture of carpet and hard flooring so it needs to just be an excellent all rounder, will search for Henry or vax I guess, thanks you lot!

Man of Honour
Get one that sucks m8.
That's the problem - his current one sucks.

I have a Dyson V10 cordless and it's great for portability. But it's noticeably less powerful than my really old, heavy, upright one from about 10 years ago. The problem with all modern vacuums is that EU regulations limit their power.

Associate
Shark are good. We got one last year during Black Friday and it's the best we've ever owned (had 3 Dysons)

Was down to £119 at Amazon last year - NV601 Lift Away.

Caporegime
Watching with interest.

I'd never buy a Dyson again, the two I've had fell apart. My Vax has lasted for 9 years but now needs replacing.

I'm toying with one of the pod style ones to make cleaning the stairs easier. I have a mix of hard floor and deep pile carpet. :p

MY DC07 has been going strong for nearly 20 years. I also don't think there is anything on the market that sucks as much due to EU legislation on noise.

Soldato
Cordless is great as a second device (we have a little refurb Dyson which is handy for minor jobs). But I have a mains Shark on my radar now. Keep seeing things like this...
https://twitter.com/HolyCrayons/status/1327622041277784066
New vacuums are not always a good measure, as they can lose a lot of efficiency while all the internal surfaces are shiny, shiny. Once they get a smear of general living grease plastered all over the unreachable parts, they tend to impress less. But our cheapo Vax is still doing a great job three years on, so maybe modern machines retain optimum performance for longer. Probably depends how greasy your household is. Our border collie is a greasy hair hazard at the best of times. My days as a hair hazard are long gone.

Soldato
I have sworn by Henrys for decades, mine from 1981 still works (just about). 2 years ago I caved in and bought a Shark, the difference is night and day. The Shark is so much easier for carpets as the brush nips at the carpet pile and easier to push round as they have a motor in the head that assists with forward movement. They are very logically designed and easy to use.

So my advice is just up your budget a bit and get a Shark, they always come up in Black Friday deals.

Soldato
Very happy with my shark lift away, can just take the cylinder bit outside to vac car out or take off to get under sofas
Also love the fact it strips down without screws and the little hair removal tool ect.
Pretty powerful as well of course

Soldato
OP
I have sworn by Henrys for decades, mine from 1981 still works (just about). 2 years ago I caved in and bought a Shark, the difference is night and day. The Shark is so much easier for carpets as the brush nips at the carpet pile and easier to push round as they have a motor in the head that assists with forward movement. They are very logically designed and easy to use.

So my advice is just up your budget a bit and get a Shark, they always come up in Black Friday deals.
Very happy with my shark lift away, can just take the cylinder bit outside to vac car out or take off to get under sofas
Also love the fact it strips down without screws and the little hair removal tool ect.
Pretty powerful as well of course
Thank you guys, are there particular models that are decent? Any that are poo In the shark range?

Soldato
I have a Vax Blade 32V and it is excellent, much better than my Dyson which was twice the price. The electric roller head makes thicker carpets easier to deal with than a lot of cordless units can. I had a shark liftaway previous to the Dyson I replaced with this, and whilst the Shark was good, it was bulky and heavy and required plugging in.

Soldato
For £100 I'd say get something trusty like a Henry.

Probably one of the better cheap vacuum cleaners you can get

Or.. I know it's not that exciting but treat yourself to a good cordless vacuum. We have the Dyson V11 and while it was a fair chunk of money for a vacuum it's worth it's weight in gold.

I find we vacuum so much frequently now it just means clicking it off of the wall

hux

hux

Soldato
Another vote for the V11, on boost it feels like a good mains.
It's the only cordless I've used that feels like a mains replacement.

Soldato
I'd spend a bit more and get a Dyson v11 personally, but then I'm biased. ;)

Another vote for the V11, on boost it feels like a good mains.
It's the only cordless I've used that feels like a mains replacement.

I always keep mine on Auto, I love the way it adjusts itself once it senses what floor type it's going over.

Caporegime
Are they reasonable prices?

My wife wants only a cordless, i did try and say that maybe we should get a normal one but she is set on cordless...

Cordless and £100 lol.

Even a decent corded hair dryer costs around that.

Spend more or buy a corded Miele.

If going cordless you need to spend £250-£350 on a shark or £600 on a Dyson v11.

Man of Honour
Its a steep price for a vacuum, is there nothing we powerful but cheaper?

Job done... or any miele vaccum.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8109817?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=30f62ea9-9626-4cac-97c8-9ff3921f8558&istItemId=ixwlilqam&istBid=t&&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59157|acid:598-923-9094|cid:9568021372|agid:98508730016|tid:pla-891346123831|crid:423285393089|nw:g|rnd:2577874552965309535|dvc:c|adp:|mt:|loc:9045030&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=9568021372&utm_term=8109817&utm_content=shopping&utm_custom1=98508730016&utm_custom2=598-923-9094&gclid=CjwKCAiAnvj9BRA4EiwAuUMDfwI5F3yxdC1FvYjFJ2S-0ex1RdeKC6A8dQK87BrqAaOnmY7XOt8DlhoCo-UQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Mines the older version with the 20 odd meter cord. Suction wise my one is a winner so would assume this one is as well. I actually replaced a couple of dysons and have been perfectly happy. Next time ill grab a cordless I think but hundreds on a vacuum cleaner still feels mental to me.

Warning though, my wife can struggle with this when doing deep pile carpets as she is tiny (5ft) and the suction can make it feel heavy on deep carpets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom