BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Nice, it might be that you are going from FTTC to FTTP.

For FTTP speeds above 150mbps they need to install an ONT device on the wall inside somewhere (mine is in the cupboard under the stairs).

New Hub is needed I think for FTTP as well so that makes sense also.

FTTP should also hopefully give you nicer pings by a bit as copper isn't as fast.

Yes, I am FTTC and moving to FTTP afaik, so they need to install something, maybe I picked the chap up wrong and its inside, but i am reasonably sure he said outside.

Associate
What router are you using? It isn't necessary to use the BT Smart Hub, I'm getting the full 900Mbps without it. Have you restarted your router since the upgrade went through?
It's a mikrotik rb2011, got an ubiquiti mesh network set up working through that. On the email from bt they say the speed will got up and down for up to 10 days?

Soldato
Restarting the router would also restart the PPPoE session so that's fine. I don't think the ONT needs a restart but it's worth a try I guess.

What testing have you done that's shown you're still getting 150Mbps? Did you do your test whilst hard wired or using wifi?

Soldato
I thought there were a few different versions of the RB2011, which version is yours? What's the exact model number? I'm trying to find out of it'll be able to route at line speed hence wanting the exact version. It most likely will but it's worth checking.

Can you connect your PC directly to the ONT then create a PPPoE connection (https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-setup-and-use-pppoe-internet-connections-windows-10/). What speeds do you get?

Soldato
Yeah, give the BT router a try. Ignore the mesh network for now. Connect the ONT to the WAN port on the BT router and then connect your PC directly to a LAN port on the BT router. See what speeds you're getting.

Associate
FTTP just been enabled in my area and I got a good deal from Sky for a 150Mb package which is getting turned on in a month. I see a couple of people in the street already have it setup but they've got the fibre drilled through into their living room. I was hoping when Openreach turn up they would run the external fibre up the outside of my drainpipe and I'll pull it through the loft space and drop it into my kids bedroom where the ONT and router can be situated to have a good wifi signal and avoid any unsightly cables along the skirting to a less than optimal location downstairs.

Anyone know if Openreach will let me do that?

Soldato
FTTP just been enabled in my area and I got a good deal from Sky for a 150Mb package which is getting turned on in a month. I see a couple of people in the street already have it setup but they've got the fibre drilled through into their living room. I was hoping when Openreach turn up they would run the external fibre up the outside of my drainpipe and I'll pull it through the loft space and drop it into my kids bedroom where the ONT and router can be situated to have a good wifi signal and avoid any unsightly cables along the skirting to a less than optimal location downstairs.

Anyone know if Openreach will let me do that?

Bit odd having a router in a bedroom.

Instead I'd be tempted to do something like what I did, run the ONT and router to somewhere out of the way, then consider running ethernet cable into your loft space instead to a switch or something.

I think you can also get those wifi discs to help with wifi coverage, although I don't know how they work exactly. I'm guessing it repeats the WiFi signal from a plugged in disc.

Last edited:
Associate
Bit odd having a router in a bedroom.

Instead I'd be tempted to do something like what I did, run the ONT and router to somewhere out of the way, then consider running ethernet cable into your loft space instead to a switch or something.

I think you can also get those wifi discs to help with wifi coverage, although I don't know how they work exactly. I'm guessing it repeats the WiFi signal from a plugged in disc.

I've not got many out of the way areas unfortunately that are easily accessible without running the fibre cable around the whole outside of the house. My plan was to drop the fibre into a bedroom and plug into the ONT and that goes into the Sky hub, run a couple of ethernet runs from that into the other bedrooms via the loft and a couple of 5 port switches in each bedroom.

As all I ever hear about is lagging and ping times during fortnite then I really want to go cabled this time so having the cable through the loft into an upstairs bedroom seems the neatest way. I suppose if it comes to it I can just get them to run the cable along the front of the house, with the shape of the house it won't really be noticeable anyway and drill into an upstairs bedroom that way. Got a couple of weeks still to get ready for a few possibilities anyway.

Soldato
I've not got many out of the way areas unfortunately that are easily accessible without running the fibre cable around the whole outside of the house. My plan was to drop the fibre into a bedroom and plug into the ONT and that goes into the Sky hub, run a couple of ethernet runs from that into the other bedrooms via the loft and a couple of 5 port switches in each bedroom.

As all I ever hear about is lagging and ping times during fortnite then I really want to go cabled this time so having the cable through the loft into an upstairs bedroom seems the neatest way. I suppose if it comes to it I can just get them to run the cable along the front of the house, with the shape of the house it won't really be noticeable anyway and drill into an upstairs bedroom that way. Got a couple of weeks still to get ready for a few possibilities anyway.

I am not sure if they would connect it in via the ceiling. Running around the house isn't too bad if they can do so at low level and clip it out of the way, however you may need to enquire when they arrive.

Soldato
I check my house regularly. I swear the FTTP roll out is like a freaking donut around my town.
I know the feeling.

Half of my street was FTTP'd on build, the other half was copper. I'm on FTTC and luckily get 76/20.

They seem to have forgotten about us and have gone around other streets lighting up FTTP. It's frustrating but would be even worse if the FTTC connection was shocking.

Caporegime
I know the feeling.

Half of my street was FTTP'd on build, the other half was copper. I'm on FTTC and luckily get 76/20.

They seem to have forgotten about us and have gone around other streets lighting up FTTP. It's frustrating but would be even worse if the FTTC connection was shocking.
I know I’m quite lucky. On DSL I got as high as 22 on occasion and on FTTC I get 80 on the button but I want more.

Associate
Had BT FTTC for seven years now, one of the earlier adopters of it, first signed up got 75/18 on speedtests, now due to crosstalk I think they call it, It manages 70/18 on a good day, rarely get 75 any more. Been great over the years and I know a lot of people have worse connections but after seven years still no sight of FTTP being installed in this area which is really sad. Can't justify the costs of FTTPoD as they'd probably then cable up the area for FTTP soon after, has happened a few times. Do have virgin available in the area but for separate reasons would not like to use them.

Back
Top Bottom