• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How are AMD & Nvidia such badly run companies?

Associate
If you had invested $100 in NVidia stock in 2017 it would be worth over $500 today, if you had invested $100 in AMD stock it would be worth over $800 today. Tell me in what way they are badly run companies?

Soldato
If you had invested $100 in NVidia stock in 2017 it would be worth over $500 today, if you had invested $100 in AMD stock it would be worth over $800 today. Tell me in what way they are badly run companies?

^^This. At the end of the day a company is only worried about profit/share price. And as these releases haven't affected this for either of them, they will carry on as they are. If anything these limited releases give them more airtime, hype and interest.

Gux

Gux

Associate
OP

By lying to the customers, releasing products, which they know they can't fulfil until the middle of next year. Instead of owning up for their own mistakes, they blame the demand & COVID for their own screwups of being unable to estimate & meet the demand.

But ok the stock price has gone up...which has been the case for 95% of companies in the stock market since 2017...

Not to mention that they both lost Apple as their customer due to being incompetent. Same as Intel... Oops

Permabanned
It's good to keep initial supply low as their may be issues such as Nvidia's Space Invader program that plagued the early 2080Ti. Or AMD's black screen.....

Gux

Gux

Associate
OP
Don't forget, AMD use TSMC's 7mn for all of their Ryzen, Radeon and Console silicon. The consoles are going to be taking up a huge amount of their allowance with TSMC right now.

Yeah you're right. That must have come out of nowhere for AMD. Microsoft & Sony probably only told AMD in September that they will need to produce millions of these chips. If only AMD knew that next-gen consoles are launching this year...

Associate
I honestly don't understand it, how is it possible that every new GPU launch is always supply constrained? No matter which month, which year, which decade, the story is always the same...

A new GPU is announced & then 2 weeks later we have the "paper" launch. Then we need another 4-6 before original orders can be fulfilled & another 4-6 weeks before stock is available.

I don't understand how both of these companies operate & why they can never learn from their previous mistakes?
  • They never seem to be able to accurately estimate the actual demand needed.
  • Quality control is always poor initially & general driver instability almost always present.
  • Always fail in being able to produce in enough quantities, no matter if there is pandemic or not.
Always blame the mystical demand, which simply does not exist. GPU's are not a high demand product, they are not iPhones. There should be no excuse why they can never meet the small demand there is.

Apple just released 4 new iPhones along with all of their entry level Macs. We're taking about 10s of million of units that need to be produced each quarter. Apple always delivers year after year with no/minimal delays.

Also why do we need AIB's? Why does this industry need some many middle men between a product being produced & before it gets to the customer hands. Why can't this process be streamlined? These are multi-billion corporations, not being able to do basics things & always failing to learn their lesson.

Apple rise prices and delivers few functions.
Basically apple stuff is crap.
Intel got stuck on 10nm for 7 years as they messed it up.
why didn't you mention them?
When they are a second tier company behind amd?

Maybe your feeling emotional, unhappy and depressed even and want to have things you cant have but feel entitled that you can have it even when the world works differently? Maybe your unrealistic about how the world works but want to live in a fantasy world of your own and then complain and whine?

To bad you didn't buy some amd stock when they were at bottom low as you be a millionaire now.
funny how that works

Associate
By lying to the customers, releasing products, which they know they can't fulfil until the middle of next year. Instead of owning up for their own mistakes, they blame the demand & COVID for their own screwups of being unable to estimate & meet the demand.

But ok the stock price has gone up...which has been the case for 95% of companies in the stock market since 2017...

Not to mention that they both lost Apple as their customer due to being incompetent. Same as Intel... Oops

That doesn't make them badly run companies. It just means that they have upset you. As an owner of either company I'd be pretty happy that they are delivering for me. At present I'd like AMD more than Nvidia. And looking at their prospects of continuing a duopoly, despite Apple, and keeping demand higher than supply I'd be inclined to invest more deeply. I'm afraid the fact that your upset wouldn't carry any weight in that decision.

Gux

Gux

Associate
OP
Apple rise prices and delivers few functions.
Basically apple stuff is crap.
Intel got stuck on 10nm for 7 years as they messed it up.
why didn't you mention them?
When they are a second tier company behind amd?

Maybe your feeling emotional, unhappy and depressed even and want to have things you cant have but feel entitled that you can have it even when the world works differently? Maybe your unrealistic about how the world works but want to live in a fantasy world of your own and then complain and whine?

To bad you didn't buy some amd stock when they were at bottom low as you be a millionaire now.
funny how that works

Apple can at least deliver the products they sell to the customers on time. This same Apple can deliver M1 (bottom of the barrel chip), which smoke both Intel's & AMD's...
Intel stuff is crap, but again they usually delivery their products when they go on sale.

Issue with companies like Nvidia & AMD, this keeps on happening over & over again at every launch. Wait for next GPU release, you will see the same **** show.

And I did buy AMD stocks, when it was nearly at $7 back in 2016. Worker out quite well for me, thanks for asking. :)

Only one feeling emotional & unhappy here is you mate. But you're right we should never dare to criticise these companies, they are the best & always deliver. Sorry AMD & Nvidia.

Associate
Apple can at least deliver the products they sell to the customers on time. This same Apple can deliver M1 (bottom of the barrel chip), which smoke both Intel's & AMD's...
Intel stuff is crap, but again they usually delivery their products when they go on sale.

Issue with companies like Nvidia & AMD, this keeps on happening over & over again at every launch. Wait for next GPU release, you will see the same **** show.

And I did buy AMD stocks, when it was nearly at $7 back in 2016. Worker out quite well for me, thanks for asking. :)

Only one feeling emotional & unhappy here is you mate. But you're right we should never dare to criticise these companies, they are the best & always deliver. Sorry AMD & Nvidia.

bless...

Gux

Gux

Associate
OP
That doesn't make them badly run companies. It just means that they have upset you. As an owner of either company I'd be pretty happy that they are delivering for me. At present I'd like AMD more than Nvidia. And looking at their prospects of continuing a duopoly, despite Apple, and keeping demand higher than supply I'd be inclined to invest more deeply. I'm afraid the fact that your upset wouldn't carry any weight in that decision.

Again they are badly run companies, from the point of the consumer? In case you haven't noticed I'm specifically talking about the consumer side of things, while you're specifically talking about the investor side.

If you're an investor & happy with their performance, then all good for you, go ahead & invest more, don't mind me.

Associate
I think you forget that AMD and Nvidia are racing each other all the time. It's about perception of the two companies. Who has the higher frame rates and who has the best features?

Nvidia knew Big Navi was coming, so they tried to launch first, even though they didn't have enough stock. AMD then sees that they are losing sales to Nvidia, publicises the fact their cards are just as good, tries like mad to make enough cards for launch day and fails to do so.

Neither company wants to be the one that launches 2 months later with adequate stock, only to discover that everyone has already bought the competitor's product, or has been waiting so long on some waiting list that they decide they might as well stay in that queue.

People behaving as if large companies like AMD/ Intel and Nvidia have to behave a certain way because of community expectations or out of a sense of duty to customers is confusing. These companies exist to make products and sell them and do it better than their competitors. They don't care about anything other than your money. Some companies pretend to, because fanboys are fearsomely loyal so it can benefit them, but they don't really give a **** about anything except for whether they can sell their product. This isn't a lack of integrity, it's literally their reason for existing.

Associate
I have no sympathy for people ultimately whining because they can't get what they want when they want it.

I am, however, annoyed that AMD/Nvidia, whoever, seem able and happy enough to dish out hundreds of cards to reviewers and 'influencers,' which does seem like a kick in the teeth for joe public.

Suspended
They only care about the bottom line, upsetting customers who they know will buy from them regardless isn't really a concern for them.

But lets be honest, it happens at every launch, we hope it's going to be different every time but it never is, £649 at launch for the RTX3080 was too good to be true, it costs whatever the market dictates and right now it's £800+ if you're "lucky" enough to find one in stock.

Associate
Yeah you're right. That must have come out of nowhere for AMD. Microsoft & Sony probably only told AMD in September that they will need to produce millions of these chips. If only AMD knew that next-gen consoles are launching this year...

Exactly, I mean surely AMD could have stockpiled these two different consoles chips years ago before MS and Sony even told them what they wanted or AMD had even designed them :p

That way they would have had more than enough capacity at TMSC to make 100 million RDNA2 chips to satisfy demand now :rolleyes:

Way to troll

Soldato
I have Aspergers but I can still feel the sarcasim here!

Associate
Greed, poor management, general incompetence at all levels, and laziness. The only reason either of them survive is because they have no real competition, aside from each other.

It can only get worse, and has done year on year for some time. About the only thing either of them can do reliably!

Soldato
Don't forget, AMD use TSMC's 7mn for all of their Ryzen, Radeon and Console silicon. The consoles are going to be taking up a huge amount of their allowance with TSMC right now.

And in reality thats where the mass market is PC gaming is a niche product so guess which gets priority

AMD and Nvidia design chips they don't manufacture them and thats where the bottleneck is even leather jacket man was exercising his frustation in lack of stock in a internal memo. High demand and high prices only benefits them if theres any stock to shift in the first place

Soldato
Greed, poor management, general incompetence at all levels, and laziness. The only reason either of them survive is because they have no real competition, aside from each other.

It can only get worse, and has done year on year for some time. About the only thing either of them can do reliably!

I don't see they are poorly managed or incompetent, the hardware has been brilliant lately (in reviews anyway, nobody else would know!). Gpus are very complex, how many transistors are they up to now? At what node, 7nm? It would be naive to expect high yields for starters, plus with Coronavirus impacting every single part of the value chain, initial stocks will be even lower than normal. Then, any shop that does get a few will end up giving a few to friends etc. so we are left with virtually nothing. They could sell these cards at £999 and they would sell out, easily. I think I'll leave it til next year and just not buy any new games either til the cards are properly out. I still have a load of old games to play anyway plus Warzone.

Back
Top Bottom