• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Well there goes my aspirations of upgrading my gpu any time soon, the Amd 6800xt card were supposed to be a good bit cheaper than the Nvidia 3080 cards with a similar performance, and going by reviews they are trading blows except where RTX is concerend and Nvidia take the lead.
With the Launch event i was expecting the AiB cards to be around the £650 - £750 bracket not the £800+ prices ive seen from other vendors
Time to see if i can find that other Unicorn for my son the Xbox series X

Associate
AMD runs DXR 1.1, Nvidia DXR 1.0, both consoles run DRX 1.1 even if not by name also on the PS5, DXR 1.1 was codeveloped between Microsoft and AMD.

DXR 1.1 uses Inline Ray Tracing, which requires a completely different approach to Ray Tracing at the hardware level and DRX 1.1 is far more flexible and efficient than the legacy DRX 1.0 Nvidia use in Turing and Ampere.

Games need to be code for either DRX 1.1 or DRX 1.0, they are backwards and forwards compatible they just don't run efficiently when not properly coded for one or the other, as i keep saying all games other than Dirt 5 are RTX games, or DXR 1.0, which will work on RDNA2 GPU's but almost in a "safe mode" state.

AMD and Nvidia use entirely different ways of Ray Tracing, AMD's GPU's will never run RTX, or DXR 1.0 games properly because the hardware in RDNA2 GPU's is not natively compatible with the code Nvdia use (DXR 1.0) and far from AMD and Microsoft catching up with Nvidia they are already ahead of Nvidia, Nvidia will be using DXR 1.1 in their next generation of GPU's and unless Nvidia pay developers to use the old DXR 1.0 from here on out they will be making RT games with DXR 1.1.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/dxr-1-1/

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-directx-12-ultimate-gpu-driver-for-geforce-quadro-available/ before the release of the 30 series...

NVIDIA's DirectX 12 Ultimate Certified Driver Now Available - First Driver To Support DXR 1.1

Pre-Release Driver 450.82 For Windows 10

Or go here https://developer.nvidia.com/directx

This preview driver is intended for developers testing their applications with DirectX 12 Ultimate. This driver supports DXR Tier 1.1, Sampler Feedback, and Mesh Shaders.

Driver version 451.48 Release Date: 2020.6.24 http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/451.48/451.48-win10-win8-win7-release-notes.pdf page 8

Game Ready for DirectX 12 Ultimate
The new Game Ready Driver provides full support for the new DirectX 12 Ultimate graphics API. This includes support for DirectX Raytracing (DXR) version 1.1 as well as support for mesh shaders, sampler feedback, and variable-rate shading (VRS). Additionally, this driver supports Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling when used with the Windows 10 May 2020 Update.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/microsoft/directx-raytracing-dxr-nvidia-rtx-turing-mesh-shaders
The way NVIDIA sees it, DirectX 12 Ultimate "codifies GeForce RTX's innovative technologies as the standard for multi-platform, next-gen games."

They also add,
DirectX Sampler Feedback, meanwhile, is "a hardware feature for recording which areas of a texture were accessed during sampling operations." It's supposed to assist with two scenarios--Texture Streaming and Texture-Space Shading--to reduce the load times caused by rendering the highly detailed graphics found in many games.
https://news.developer.nvidia.com/dxr-tier-1-1/
https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/technologies/directx-12-ultimate/ for the 20 series.

Inline ray tracing (DXR 1.1) August 10, 2020 before the 30 series or the 6800xt releases
Use well-unified hit shading with inline ray tracing. As hit shaders are not invoked based on hits, all shading happens inline in the shader that casts rays. This means that classic shader optimization practices apply. I strongly recommend using unified hit shading that allows handling of different geometries with a common code path and avoiding übershaders with lots of divergent code. When multiple different shading models are required, I recommend using DispatchRays.

Use the hit specific system values for bindless resource access with inline ray tracing. As bindings in hit records are not available, geometry-specific bindings must be provided by other means. Accessing resources in unbounded descriptor tables based on the hit-specific system values such as InstanceContributionToHitGroupIndex and GeometryIndex is a good practice. I recommend avoiding indirections in accessing index, vertex, and material data when possible. For example, reading a resource index from a buffer based on system value like InstanceID for selecting an index buffer may cause latency that is difficult to hide.

Prefer the compile-time ray flags. Both compile-time and runtime ray flags can be used with inline ray tracing. I recommend preferring the compile-time flags when possible, as they may enable beneficial compile-time optimizations.

Monitor the register consumption of the query objects. After initialization, the query objects must hold state for the ray traversal when the shader is executing code that may continue the traversal. This consumes registers and complex user code may limit occupancy sooner than usually. The situation is similar to executing any-hit shaders in a DispatchRays pass. Variables initialized before using the query object and used after that may consume additional registers.

Consider thread group reordering to improve coherency. When using inline ray tracing from a compute shader, the default row major assignment of the dispatched thread groups to GPU for execution often does not result in optimal performance. Coherency of the memory accesses done by the thread groups simultaneously in execution on GPU can be improved by manually reordering the thread groups. For more information about reordering, see Optimizing Compute Shaders for L2 Locality using Thread-Group ID Swizzling.
source https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/best-practices-using-nvidia-rtx-ray-tracing/

AMD and Nvidia dont have to have the same hardware, they both support DX12u which means they support all the same features via DX12u. This means both cards must support DXR 1.0 and 1.1. Also if hardware cant just support DXR 1.1 as it just adds new driver features to DXR 1.0, DXR 1.0 is the full original standard. Any graphics card that supports DXR 1.1 must support dxr 1.0 also. This means DXR 1.0 is not legacy its the fully stardard and DXR 1.1 is a minor update adding new features. Stop making things up.

This is likely the why AMD supports RT https://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2019/0197761.html

Associate
Heh
Did you noticed BTW that the 3080 with RT is about 35% faster than the 2080ti. The same amount as without RT.
So seemingly the uplift under RT is negligible compared to Turing.

Ampere cards - as it seems at the moment - just faster, bigger Turings. They are as much faster as they need more power, RT and rasterization performance scales the same. (Except for veeery RT oriented games like Quake or Minecraft) They are not bad cards by any means, but after the biggest hype in the past few years, they are very underwhelming.

Please stop making things up.

Soldato
I would say it is has been slightly underperforming compared to nvidia in performance as well as stocks

Not quite it trades blows and sometimes out performs Nvidia and other times AMD is slightly behind. Normal rasterised performance AMD has in buckets. Falls short with ray tracing enabled in comparison. Not sure if it is unmatured drivers or hardware limitation. If all you need is out right grunt, I still think AMD has the better card. And I was looking at some screenshots and the image quality seems marginally worse on the Nvidia cards in comparison. But agree both terrible as each other for stock.

Associate
Please stop making things up.

Well if you take the time look up 4-5 reviews which include Ray Tracing Games, SOTTR, Control, Metro and get an average you'd see that with RT on th e3080 is about as much above th e2080Ti as with RT on. Somewhere a bit more, somewhere less.

Associate
So just to clarify did OCUK have no stock of the 6800XT or was it as it good as none

They didn't put any up.

There's a thread Gibbo put up about this - they got so much flack from having low volumes, huge backlogs and pre-order queues on the other releases that happened in the last few weeks, that they decided to hold off until they had a decent amount of stock. They got very few cards in for today and just thought it wasn't worth it.

(IMHO a very sensible move, rather than open it up and get screamed at)

Associate
They didn't put any up.

There's a thread Gibbo put up about this - they got so much flack from having low volumes, huge backlogs and pre-order queues on the other releases that happened in the last few weeks, that they decided to hold off until they had a decent amount of stock. They got very few cards in for today and just thought it wasn't worth it.

(IMHO a very sensible move, rather than open it up and get screamed at)

So any idea when we will see these in stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom