What "man jobs" have you done today?

Caporegime
I replaced a security light that had been faulty for nearly three years.

45 minutes to drill one hole for the bracket, 3 minutes to drill the other. Google told me a masonry drill bit had an arrowed tip which I took to mean a pointed tip.

I don't do a lot of DIY :(

Soldato
Shaved the bottom of the internal kitchen door, which had suddenly started rubbing on the floor.
When this happened to me it was a sign that there was a slow water leak under the vinyl flooring making the floorboards swell. I appreciate vinyl flooring is a bit unfashionable and solid floors are common, so this probably won't apply here, but I thought I'd mention it.

I sorted the door out twice before I twigged that it wasn't spillage from the dog's nearby water bowl swelling the bottom of the door.

Soldato
When this happened to me it was a sign that there was a slow water leak under the vinyl flooring making the floorboards swell. I appreciate vinyl flooring is a bit unfashionable and solid floors are common, so this probably won't apply here, but I thought I'd mention it.

I sorted the door out twice before I twigged that it wasn't spillage from the dog's nearby water bowl swelling the bottom of the door.

Good shout Andy, I'll investigate just in case.

Soldato
Any idea what the going rate to fit door architrave would be? Ive got architrave already. We have 4 doors it needs fitting on. Im up in Cumbria.

Soldato
Have you thought about doing it yourself, it’s a pretty simple piece of carpentry if it’s a standard door (e.g. no funny angles).

You only need the most basic and cheap tools most of which you’ll already have - tape measure, pencil, mitire block, tenon saw, hammer, nails, wood filler, caulk and sand paper.

Soldato
Another short stint painting my fence. Second coat this time albeit I've not finished the first coat on a couple of areas! I'll be doing that tomorrow and Sunday since the weather looks to be ok. Quite windy at times as well so that should dry things off pretty sharpish.

Soldato
Cleared a few rooms out ready for new flooring down tomorrow

Hall

IMG-20201122-150525.jpg

IMG-20201122-150545.jpg

IMG-20201122-150559.jpg

IMG-20201122-150614.jpg

Cloakroom

IMG-20201122-150554.jpg

And study

IMG-20201122-150606.jpg

Will make a massive difference !

Associate
Bent the aluminium curtain rail to fit the bay window, fixed it and hung the curtains.

The aluminium rail is sprung into metal/nylon clips; we'll see how long they hold. Screwing or using nuts and bolts would've made it much easier to mount; I had to dismantle a couple of the clips to get the rail in.

Soldato
Have been meaning to sort the patio for a few weeks now.

Found some algae stuff in the shed, that i thought would eat away it all and make pressure washing it easier. It says to wait until it's dry and won't rain for 4 hours. Have been checking the weather for the last fortnight, and yesterday finally looked good. Spent an hour spraying it all, and then 30 minutes later it decided to hail :(

Also found the ply on the roof of my shed is soaking. So the felt is doing absolutely nothing. Can't decide whether i'm best to try and re-roof it now, or try and botch it until April time when i can do a much better job with some decent weather.

~cw

~cw

Associate
This thread is 335 pages of peer pressure that I should be doing more DIY :D

Just sanded the bathroom door - when other half previously had builders in to fit new bathroom they didn't hang the door right. Not bad, just not quite right enough such that it snags slightly at the top corner of frame. Sanding was a less stressful endeavour than rehanging, the side frame is chewn up thanks to them repeatedly fitting then removing the door during works.

Serviced brakes - sanded down rotors (I get good mileage out of my sandpaper), cleaned, decontaminated, installed new wheels, paired new TPMS sensors and bled. Happy days.

Cleaned the recycling bins and unclogged TWO drains... :( no more U bend smells please

Soldato
Not technically today but over the weekend I:

Fixed a leaking gutter on the back of my garage, identified 3 more leaks on the house it’s self but the ground was too soft to get a ladder up to fix them. The seals have gone on the connecting joints so it looks like I’ll be replacing them all one by one. Cheap job but a PITA if you need to put a ladder up on a soggy lawn.

Built a new PC :D which I get to build again when my new case comes. :D:D

Soldato
Finally completed the walls in the lounge. Had to do 3 coats of Dulux Polished Pebble over what was quite light magnolia looking original paint. It just didn't look right with 2 coats. 3 definitely much better.

I've promptly ruined the area above the fireplace whilst trying to fit a mirror and left scratches on the wall. That blue is not very forgiving with scratches. So will have to go over it with another coat on that wall now.

edit: this is what it was originally

Still waiting on silver sofas to arrive and then got to figure out what to do with TV/Stand as mirror going above the fireplace.

Associate
Got a radiator moved in my sons bedroom at the weekend, fitted new trvs to it and another one while I had the system drained. Hopefully will get out over the next couple of nights to pick up some flooring for his room and that'll maybe finish me up with diy this side of Christmas.

Soldato
Anyone have any idea how I can tell what my fireplace is constructed of. Presuming it's masonry. Any idea if I can pop a nail in it. Need to hang a very light/spindly mirror which has a hook on its back?

Soldato
Anyone have any idea how I can tell what my fireplace is constructed of. Presuming it's masonry. Any idea if I can pop a nail in it. Need to hang a very light/spindly mirror which has a hook on its back?
Try a magnet. If it's ferrous, magnet will stick. If not, it's likely wood or masonry both of which should take a nail ok.

apg

apg

Associate
Removed old cement mortar from brickwork at rear of house with angle grinder and hammer and chisel. Now need to find the time to actually repoint it.

Back
Top Bottom