***The Wine Thread***

Soldato
@taB

Thanks for that. Nyetimber bdb is one of my favourites, but will check out some of those others.

Amazon had Moet for £23 on Saturday. It's not my ideal choice, but at £23 i think it's decent value. Sadly it was delivered and drunk yesterday. Wish i'd ordered more than one bottle really.

Soldato
It's one of the benchmarks I would say but there's a lot more interesting stuff out there.

This is worth a look for an up to date view: https://www.winegb.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/WineGB-Awards-Booklet-2020-FINAL.pdf

https://www.thirtyfifty.co.uk/wine-...takes-the-title-of-worst-press-in-2017-so-far...

Thanks Tab, I've just put an order in for the following:

1x Gusbourne Boot Hill Pinot Noir 2018
1x Breaky Bottom Cuvee Michelle Moreau 2014
1x Blank Bottle Jaa-Bru Malbec 2019
1x Savage Follow The Line 2019
1x Chateau du Moulin A Vent, Moulin A Vent La Rochelle 2015

Looking forward to them all. I adore Pinot Noir and not had an English one before, and this was the winner at WineGB. Likewise the Breaky Bottom Cuvee is another English wine winner, in the sparkling category.
I've had very good South African wine from the Coop recently so thought I'd try some more expensive stuff.
And the La Rochelle doesn't really need much saying, that'll be a nice drop!

Should be a good weekend! Just need to pick up a bottle of Chablis to go with some seafood on Saturday night.

taB

taB

Associate
@Ahleckz nice selection. Pinot is getting better and better over here. Still lighter in style like a spätburgunder but certainly drinkable these days.

One of the things I like about Breaky Bottom is all his wines are vintage and so different every time. The one you've got he made < 7000 bottles for example. If you compare it to Nyetimber to use the above example, they produce > 1 million bottles now I think. Can ping you a short youtube about Breaky if you want.

Soldato
@Ahleckz nice selection. Pinot is getting better and better over here. Still lighter in style like a spätburgunder but certainly drinkable these days.

One of the things I like about Breaky Bottom is all his wines are vintage and so different every time. The one you've got he made < 7000 bottles for example. If you compare it to Nyetimber to use the above example, they produce > 1 million bottles now I think. Can ping you a short youtube about Breaky if you want.

Yes please, that would be very interesting. I must admit, I've only ever drank Nyetimber be it their 'standard' one or Blanc de Blanc and I prefer it over the over commonly available French champagnes so really looking forward to this one.

taB

taB

Associate
Meant to add. Try an Albariño with the seafood if it's not cooked with a punchy / creamy sauce.

Picpoul another great affordable seafood wine; Chablisesque to a degree.

Sent a link to your trust for the above.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's a lovely bottle of wine from a great wine maker. It is still a little young so may be worth decanting for an hour or so, a little sample will tell you that when you open it.
There is some superb wine coming out of SA (as there has been for a good few years), both in terms of quality and value. My favourite wine region!

Soldato
English sparkling. Nyetimer Blanc de Blanc still the go to?

I still like the classic brut, stands up well against the midrange competition if it's on offer, <£30 little comes close at that price
Got a 3 potentially stunning bottles of Champagne recently which I'm itching to try but need to sit on at least 2 of them for a while. DP2002, DP2010, Pol Roger vintage 2012
Also still think Tesco's premier cru brut is worth getting by the truckload when @£15

kai

kai

Soldato
Just picked up a couple of bottles of each for Christmas in the Black Friday deals.

• Ruinart Rose (never tried this before, but have seen a few on here rave about it)
  • Laurent Perrier Cuvee Rose (standard go-to over xmas)
  • Pol Roger Brut Reserve
  • Dom Perignon 2010

kai

kai

Soldato
As mentioned above, there's some stonking Champagne deals around at the moment. Amazon have Veuve NV for £26 at the minute which is triggering me.

I'm about to buy the 3 bottle taster case from Breaky Bottom though. That's looking very tempting.

I am unable to find anything for £26. £35 is the closest on Amazon. You sure this not a half bottle?

Soldato
We drink mudhouse sauvignon blanc like it's fruit juice. Can anyone recommend anything similar in flavour? We just can't find anything that we like more than that, but we're always open to try new flavours.

Soldato
Had a bottle of Wiston NV sparkling this week. Nice enough, but I’m still not 100% sold on English sparkling given the relatively high price. The article above in decanter illustrates this well as the Limoux sparkling is not far off half the price and would be my absolute go to for a sparkling wine outside of Champagne. Probably going to stock up on BBR Cremant de Limoux for Christmas (although their own Prosecco is excellent too).

taB

taB

Associate
Thanks Tab, I've just put an order in for the following:

1x Gusbourne Boot Hill Pinot Noir 2018
1x Breaky Bottom Cuvee Michelle Moreau 2014
1x Blank Bottle Jaa-Bru Malbec 2019
1x Chateau du Moulin A Vent, Moulin A Vent La Rochelle 2015

Looking forward to them all. I adore Pinot Noir and not had an English one before, and this was the winner at WineGB. Likewise the Breaky Bottom Cuvee is another English wine winner, in the sparkling category.
I've had very good South African wine from the Coop recently so thought I'd try some more expensive stuff.
And the La Rochelle doesn't really need much saying, that'll be a nice drop!

Should be a good weekend! Just need to pick up a bottle of Chablis to go with some seafood on Saturday night.

More coverage for Breaky Bottom with a couple of articles in December's Vineyard magazine. https://issuu.com/kelseymedia/docs/vineyard_12dec20_issuu/22

Back
Top Bottom