HDMI Splitter - Connecting to 3 monitors help needed please :)

Associate
Is there a HDMI splitter out there that provides 4k @ 60hz and 1080p @ 120hz while connected to 3 outputs?

The outputs I want to have connected to my PS5 are:

1. 1080p 144hz monitor - used for competitive gaming
2. 4k 60 hz monitor - used for casual gaming
3. 4k Smart TV 60hz - used when I want to lay in bed and game on the TV

I also want to make sure since it's connected to 3 outputs that when I'm gaming on either my 4k monitor or 4k TV it does not downscale to 1080p @ 60hz (since I will be having a 1080p 144hz monitor connected) and instead remains at 4k @ 60hz if that makes sense?

If there is one out there currently in the market, which would would you guys advice?

If there is nothing out there, then what would you guys recommend to do in order to game on either 3 different outputs in its maximum resolution? Thanks! :)

Soldato
You are definitely right to be asking the question about ensuring the 4K-60Hz screen actually stays on 4K-60Hz with other non 4K-60Hz displays connected to the splitter, as in my recent searches for an HDMI splitter for a Sky output, I kept seeing comments and remarks about the splitter effectively only outputting at the lowest common denominator on the connected devices. It was not clear to me if this was both the resolution and refresh rate, or just one or the other, but it did seem a pertinent issue to look out for with splitters. I can't offer any help or advice cos the splitter I needed just needed to deal with 1080p, but just wanted to say that yeah, having different display types connected to a common splitter does seem to be you need to be clued up on.

Soldato
You may find it simpler just to arrange the cables in a way that makes them easy to swap. If you run an extension cable from each monitor and from the PS5, with some cable management, all to the same location, this sort of solution can be reasonably neat.

Associate
OP
You may find it simpler just to arrange the cables in a way that makes them easy to swap. If you run an extension cable from each monitor and from the PS5, with some cable management, all to the same location, this sort of solution can be reasonably neat.

Seems like a good idea but I'm trying to visualise how it will look! Do you have any pictures of how this may look exactly by any chance?

My 2 monitors are together and will be kept alongside the PS5 on the same desk (PS5 ideally will be kept underneath the desk), however, my TV which I also want to connect to the PS5 is on the opposite side of the room, so my initial plan was to get an extra long HDMI cable to connect it to the splitter.

Soldato
I imagine you would need a set of male to female hdmi cables of the appropriate length, all meeting to where you would have put your splitter, or somewhere convenient to do the cable swappage. Then one male to male cable coming from the ps5 to that point. Sounds like you may be able to do a splitter/cable swap combo if your two 4k displays are the same format, which will leave you with some level of convenience, and you would just need the one male to female lead for the 1080p display. Would have to ensure the splitter is relevant hdmi and/or hdcp format for 4k-60 though, most of the cheap ones are only 4k-30.

Edit: other option would be to get a 3 output splitter of appropriate hdcp level, and just unplug the 1080p display from the splitter when you are not using it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I imagine you would need a set of male to female hdmi cables of the appropriate length, all meeting to where you would have put your splitter, or somewhere convenient to do the cable swappage. Then one male to male cable coming from the ps5 to that point. Sounds like you may be able to do a splitter/cable swap combo if your two 4k displays are the same format, which will leave you with some level of convenience, and you would just need the one male to female lead for the 1080p display. Would have to ensure the splitter is relevant hdmi and/or hdcp format for 4k-60 though, most of the cheap ones are only 4k-30.

Edit: other option would be to get a 3 output splitter of appropriate hdcp level, and just unplug the 1080p display from the splitter when you are not using it.

Thanks so much for this! I think my ideal option would be like you said, get a 3 output splitter. However, the issue is I do not know which one would be suitable to use? As in one with a n appropriate hcdp level and provides 4k in 60Hz :(

Soldato
Thanks so much for this! I think my ideal option would be like you said, get a 3 output splitter. However, the issue is I do not know which one would be suitable to use? As in one with a n appropriate hcdp level and provides 4k in 60Hz :(

You are probably better off opening an account on AVForums or somewhere like that and asking there, as it does appear to be a bit of a minefield in making 100% sure you are getting a splitter that is guaranteed to work with the latest hdcp and hdmi standards. Going by the Amazon descriptions is always a bit hit and miss. The other thing I noticed in my research was that those which said they were 4k-60 had a lower max cable length compared to the lower spec splitters. Most of the 4k-60 splitters had like a max 10m cable length overall, with that being a max of 5m on the input and 5m on the output, rather than one of the cables being 10m on its own. If all you are doing is in one room then this probably wont be an issue, but if you wanted to pipe it up/down stairs then it does become a factor.

Associate
OP
You are probably better off opening an account on AVForums or somewhere like that and asking there, as it does appear to be a bit of a minefield in making 100% sure you are getting a splitter that is guaranteed to work with the latest hdcp and hdmi standards. Going by the Amazon descriptions is always a bit hit and miss. The other thing I noticed in my research was that those which said they were 4k-60 had a lower max cable length compared to the lower spec splitters. Most of the 4k-60 splitters had like a max 10m cable length overall, with that being a max of 5m on the input and 5m on the output, rather than one of the cables being 10m on its own. If all you are doing is in one room then this probably wont be an issue, but if you wanted to pipe it up/down stairs then it does become a factor.

Thanks for looking into this for me! I have made an account on AVForums.

In regards to the max cable length, that would be a bit of an issue! Because my TV will be on the opposite side of the room and in order to get the cable across nearly would be to cable it over the doorframes and that would require me to use a 10m/12.5m cable! :mad: Unless there is another solution of cabling it up? Lol

Soldato
The max cable length thing I guess in practice is only what the manufacturers guarantee rather than some hard limit, in practice they may work longer than this but obviously you would have no come back. Going beyond the specified length for a single hdmi cable you will be looking at hdmi over cat6/7 network cable, which if you haven't already looked into is doable at 4k-60 but is another whole thing in itself.

Back
Top Bottom