• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Good start By Sapphire for their first 6800XT design, run's very quiet, cool and overclocks better than the Reference model running at near 2600Mhz overclocked.
AMD setting a high bar with their reference card this time round puts more pressure on AIB's to do better and so far so good.

That, is a nice card. Shame GPU power usage has increased so much, I'm always more impressed with cards that do more with less, where as with the cards at the moment it feels like they've just thrown power at them to increase performance. Feels less elegant. I think the powercolor card in the other vid looks like a better card, far uglier though. I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Soldato
I'm still just having a bit of a chuckle given how some posters in the Navi 23 thread were frothing about how bad nVidia's launch was and going to great lengths to find any and every way to mock it making sure to get in plenty of digs about paper launches and making a big deal of how glorious AMD's launch was going to be in comparison.

Sometimes it is best to wait until after the fact to start celebrating, especially if you are going to go to those lengths to slate the competition, or you end up looking a bit foolish.

LOL True. And don't forget about the ranting they did about the $649 price tag for the Reference 3080. Was waiting to see would any of the posters who complained that would complain about AMD doing the same thing.

Soldato
I have no idea if what you are saying will bare out in reality w.r.t future RT performance, but the failure of people to comprehend the point you're making is unsurprising going by the last 20% of this thread. I would just give up with it and revisit in a few months when it's less speculative.

I understand completely the point he is trying to make. And it's all nonsense. Nvidia will have been as much involved in the development of DXR as AMD. AMD's hardware is only now catching up to features that Nvidia have implemented for the last 2 years. DXR 1.1 is just feature update to DXR 1.0. The way he keeps saying RTX won't run on AMD's RDNA 2, of course it won't, It's like saying Nvidia's drivers won't run on AMD's GPUs. AMD's Ray Tracing solution is designed to run on AMD's card, Nvidia's solution runs on Nvidia's cards and both solutions use DXR and Vulkan's API.

Soldato
Probably good advice, some people just think i'm trying to put Nvidia down and need to rage against it, i'm not, RT is a brand-new technology in live games and at this early stage there are different ideas on how it should be done, its Microsoft who drive what way wins out and they have settled on a formula that suits them, it just so happens AMD are their console partners, Nvidia will simply follow that lead, Microsoft's lead. And the industry will settle on it, up until right now we had two different idea's in the wild, Betamax or VHS, Blueray or HD-DVD?

How wrong can you be all the time? We haven't had two ideas in the wild? It's always been DXR/Vulkan. This isn't like Betamax or VHS, bluray or HD-DVD. This is like two different brands of bluray players going to head to head with different hardware/software solution inside each but both performing the same thing. Playing BluRays.

Both AMD and NVidia have their own Ray Tracing solution. They are both using DXR(and Vulkan) DXR 1.1 isn't some great new API that only runs on AMD's hardware.

Caporegime
I understand completely the point he is trying to make. And it's all nonsense. Nvidia will have been as much involved in the development of DXR as AMD. AMD's hardware is only now catching up to features that Nvidia have implemented for the last 2 years. DXR 1.1 is just feature update to DXR 1.0. The way he keeps saying RTX won't run on AMD's RDNA 2, of course it won't, It's like saying Nvidia's drivers won't run on AMD's GPUs. AMD's Ray Tracing solution is designed to run on AMD's card, Nvidia's solution runs on Nvidia's cards and both solutions use DXR and Vulkan's API.

That's not what i said.

Associate
Well if you take the time look up 4-5 reviews which include Ray Tracing Games, SOTTR, Control, Metro and get an average you'd see that with RT on th e3080 is about as much above th e2080Ti as with RT on. Somewhere a bit more, somewhere less.

Why would I debate that sophistry argument? Who cares.

Soldato
You can see the price on the OCUK website.

I only noticed people saying they were unavailable to buy on OCUK so never even looked here. I just noticed this on Reddit. I'll go have a look now.

Edit: Hmm yeah looks pretty jacked up too. I think I'll do my usual and swerve OCUK prices for a competitor once the market stabilises.

Associate
Guys, remember a few months ago when people said AMD's GPU division is done because they can't counter the 3080 and even if by some miracle they could it would be far too late?

Yeah that was fun, check back in 3 months when they both launch.

Associate
Why the rush? Enjoy the reviews, i bet we'll see the Techpowerup reviews posted on every page by someone we all know. :)
How wrong can you be all the time? We haven't had two ideas in the wild? It's always been DXR/Vulkan. This isn't like Betamax or VHS, bluray or HD-DVD. This is like two different brands of bluray players going to head to head with different hardware/software solution inside each but both performing the same thing. Playing BluRays.

Both AMD and NVidia have their own Ray Tracing solution. They are both using DXR(and Vulkan) DXR 1.1 isn't some great new API that only runs on AMD's hardware.

It is not like that. Look what happened when Nvidia launched the 2080 and Battlefield V had RT. It didn't worked really well, it worked like Control is working on AMD right now. :)
So Nvidia had to work with the devs to optimize the game for their architecture.
It is not only the bluRay. You need to optimize what it is written on the disk for your decoder. Nvidia and AMD are using a different decoder. They are compatible with DXR, they will "read the bluray" but if the information of the disk is not optimized to their decoder, it will take more time to read it.

Soldato
No one cares about your made up story about 2080ti boys all championing RTX. Or the rest of the made up crap you just posted. Your not convinced because you have already made up your mind at the start and no amount of evidence will chance that.

Faster RT performance means better image quality in RT games. AMD based RT games and not really even RT games. They are most no different from the rasterization version of the game. RT in AMD games is a joke. Look at the state of RT in world of warcraft. Dirt 5 and Godfall. AMD support for RT is a laugh at the moment. There are like the nvidia 20 series after launch.

In games like Cyberpunk 2077 when AMD support comes, AMD cards like the 6800xt will have to perform at lower settings or 1440p like the 3070 (when AMD get super rolution if not 1080p maximum https://cdn-l-mkt.cdprojektred.com/image/16_9_EN_3-_02qt7qdkx3b50kqk.jpg) but the RTX 3080 will be able to turn everything up to full and go 4k. The performance grap will be obvious. At the moment a 6800xt will struggle to run a fully featured Dx12u game with full RT effects. Like Control or Minecraft. All the RT features used in Control are part of DX12u.
No. 3080 will go upscaled 4k, not "full 4k". Stop trying to move the goalposts. DLSS and RT are not in many titles yet. Sure rt in more, but not that many yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom