Best RAM for a lower airflow/hotter case

Soldato
Which is the Best RAM for a lower airflow/hotter case, I currently have 4x8GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series C14 Samsung b-die, which apparently doesn’t do too well upwards of 55c, with the addition of my 3080 it’s dumping a lot of hot air into my case(hoping that changes when my waterblock comes), which is Inturn heating up my RAM(never had the problem with my 1080ti). I take it I will be better with 2x16gb sticks rather than 4x8gb sticks so I can get some airflow around the modules, which chips are more resistant to higher temps? nothing I can really do about the airflow in my case it’s a O11 WGX ROG with rads top and bottom.

edit, it’s definitely the airflow, take the glass side off and the ram drops down to 42c

Last edited:
Associate
Not knowing your case layout, is there any way you could move the bottom rad to the side mount position and use the bottom 3 fans as cold air intake? That's the cause of your issue. My other half has an o11 dynamic razer with an X99 system in it - that thing is a heat monster. Hers is fine using triple 120mm fans as a cold air intake on the bottom of the case, her memory is overclocked and overvolted but reports temps around 45c after a long gaming session with the central heating on. She has a Rampage 5 Extreme and 5960x under an EK monoblock and an RX480 on air.

Failing that how about a memory cooler? You could pick one of those up far cheaper than it will cost you for a new set of memory. Have a look on the auction site for a Corsair or G.Skill DDR4 cooler, you should be able to pick one up for £20 or less. Haven't seen these sold new for quite a while now.

Crucial Ballistix are pretty tolerant to heat but will be slower and are objectively "worse" than your C14 tridentz setup.

Soldato
OP
Not knowing your case layout, is there any way you could move the bottom rad to the side mount position and use the bottom 3 fans as cold air intake? That's the cause of your issue. My other half has an o11 dynamic razer with an X99 system in it - that thing is a heat monster. Hers is fine using triple 120mm fans as a cold air intake on the bottom of the case, her memory is overclocked and overvolted but reports temps around 45c after a long gaming session with the central heating on. She has a Rampage 5 Extreme and 5960x under an EK monoblock and an RX480 on air.

Failing that how about a memory cooler? You could pick one of those up far cheaper than it will cost you for a new set of memory. Have a look on the auction site for a Corsair or G.Skill DDR4 cooler, you should be able to pick one up for £20 or less. Haven't seen these sold new for quite a while now.

Crucial Ballistix are pretty tolerant to heat but will be slower and are objectively "worse" than your C14 tridentz setup.
Those temps were with a Corsair memory cooler, no can do with the side mount as that’s my Pump/res

Associate
It won't make a night and day difference as you'll still be dumping the heat into the case through the bottom radiator (which in turn means the top radiator gets warmer air and becomes slightly less efficient too). Id expect you'll knock about 5c off your case temps though, possibly enough to get back down to sub 50c memory temps. You must have a hell of a high case temp if the memory is still hitting 55c with a blower over it.

Aren't you using a PCIE 8x slot there for your GPU? Seems like you're sacrificing a hell of a lot just to have that EK combo thing when you can fit a standard pump res on top of the front most fan in the bottom of the case and gain all your airflow back so you don't have to buy new memory too.

Fingers crossed water-cooling the GPU works out I guess, at least you'll be able to move the card back up into the top slot.

Soldato
OP
It won't make a night and day difference as you'll still be dumping the heat into the case through the bottom radiator (which in turn means the top radiator gets warmer air and becomes slightly less efficient too). Id expect you'll knock about 5c off your case temps though, possibly enough to get back down to sub 50c memory temps. You must have a hell of a high case temp if the memory is still hitting 55c with a blower over it.

Aren't you using a PCIE 8x slot there for your GPU? Seems like you're sacrificing a hell of a lot just to have that EK combo thing when you can fit a standard pump res on top of the front most fan in the bottom of the case and gain all your airflow back so you don't have to buy new memory too.

Fingers crossed water-cooling the GPU works out I guess, at least you'll be able to move the card back up into the top slot.
Waterblock should be delivered today, meaning I can go back to the 16x pcie slot which in turn should give me better airflow, with the graphics card no longer sitting right on top of the Rad

Associate
Wow that zotac card was really kicking out some heat then! Glad its all sorted without having to replace the memory, it would've been annoying to have to take a downgrade as a result of an upgrade :)

Soldato
OP
Wow that zotac card was really kicking out some heat then! Glad its all sorted without having to replace the memory, it would've been annoying to have to take a downgrade as a result of an upgrade :)
So was the gigabyte 3080 I was using before it, these 3080 really kick out some heat

Back
Top Bottom