Downsizing from TT Core X9 to the O11D XL + EK Front Distro plate

Associate
OP
@OC2000 how easy your loop to bleed mines being a right batch, I've had the case all over the shop getting air locks out here and there. think my pump may be dying says its at full pelt but all I'm getting is a dribble out the top rad return

Im not quite there yet unfortunately. Still waiting the the CPU and Motherboard (Dark Hero) before I start the build. Will let you know once I'm there.

Associate
I have actually now decided to do Bottom and Side fans as intakes and Top and rear as exhaust to follow the natural direction of hot air rising. It shouldn't look too much worse as I'm using the QL120s which are designed to go either way.

I've just switched the rear fan on mine to exhaust. It hasn't made an iota of difference to temps, but it looks better.

3x 120 in the bottom as intakes, 3x 120 in the top as exhaust. Both mounted to 360mm rads.

Associate
OP
So yesterday I decided to put the water block on the 3090 Strix to do some testing and ensure everything was working properly. I will be re applying everything with much better thermal pads tomorrow as well as adding the MP5works on to it.

Its a shame as I won't be using this water block. The back plate causes horrendous coil whine when thermal pads are applied to the VRMS on the back. I have now Pre Ordered a Kryo Next 3090 Strix with active back plate, but will have to wait 2 months for it to arrive. I will continue my build with this in the meantime without the thermal pads on the back. Hopefully there will be enough room on the Active Backplate to fit the MP5works on it too.

Here are some pics.

FllVcdqh.jpg

R7P4xbrh.jpg

shpEhBMh.jpg

vN2Gh0T.jpg

J51xTZH.jpg

eCj5TYj.jpg

Initial testing has confirmed a 480 HW - SR2 struggles cooling this in a single loop with a CPU too. Temps were hitting 50 and the water was getting warm really quickly. Hopefully the 2x 360 Rads in the new build will do a better job.

Associate
OP
Now all the parts have arrived, and my testing is complete its time to build the new PC. The following pics are the last parts.

1E76xNqh.jpg

LGGUNrch.jpg

XIGOJnFh.jpg

jwUHZLih.jpg

5950X next to the old 3950X

AjvkDaLh.jpg

3RaADmSh.jpg

Associate
OP
For the motherboard assembly I tested spreading the thermal paste all over the die and in an X pattern. Ill be using the EK Quantum Momentum Monoblock as the CPU/VRM cooler.

With the X pattern I was able to run the 5950X at 4.9 / 4.8 all core at 1.37V and run prime95 at stock at 37C
With the all over paste I was able to run the 5950X at 4.85 / 4.75 all core at 1.35V (Anything more caused a reboot with temp warning) and prime95 at stock at 44C

Ill be using the X pattern in the final build. Kryonaught Extreme isn't easy to do a cross pattern as it comes in a pot with a spatula.

MeDr6ePh.jpg

SkkX59Vh.jpg

Bu8LlLbh.jpg

Ill be continuing the build later today.

Associate
OP
During my testing, I found the Ram runs really hot and needs some form of direct fan cover to cool it. Running OCCT the ram reached 50C in minutes. With a fan blowing over it, it never went over 30C.

Because of this, I will be changing the fan setup to have both Radiators as intakes and the sides as exhaust. The top radiator fans will then cover the motherboard with direct air, which is still better than ambient. The bottom rad will be blocked by the 3090 and most likely funnel out through the side exhaust.

Associate
OP
Love the board with the block on it. What coolant are you going to be using?

I have both the EK Mystic Fog and EK Electric Purple. Im going to use Electric Purple though as I would prefer the tubing to be a different colour to the fans rather than blending in.

Associate
OP
Update on the build. Yesterday I focused on wiring in the fans and finished with installing the motherboard and connecting some of the cabling to it. Realised II bought the wrong RGB splitter, so will have to order the correct one leaving me with only 2 none Corsair devices I can connect RGB to the motherboard too. For now it will be the mono block and the case lighting. The Corsair AX1500i technically shouldn't fit, but does only just. The AX1600i would have been a better choice here, but I wanted to use at least on thing from the last build.

Wiring 10 fans with RGB is a nightmare!

Mr6sma2h.jpg

ItCui1ch.jpg

Quick test to see it all works

qhGXV62h.jpg

Motherboard installed

ZOyvlAwh.jpg

Ill start tidying up the cables in the back before moving on to tubing with these.

sPFKX09h.jpg

Associate
Build is looking great, I’ll be looking to do something similar next year.

Can I ask why you’re using a 1500w PSU? I’ve just got a 750w psu and was hoping to run a similar set up to yours (although lower spec components). Am I going to need to up the PSU?

Associate
OP
So Far its been quite challenging. The first issue was trying to keep the cables tidy. Which I have decided is impossible lol. Second the mono block inlet is on the wrong side, so had to do a work around. Really didn't want to do any tube bending, but I had no choice.

Here are some pics of todays progress. Still a ways off, but got the leak testing done.

6kQCRojh.jpg

The RGB cable fell off this one. I have an Aqua computer block ordered though so not bothered.

CeM1XwSh.jpg

IsdgwnYh.jpg

YrKI98th.jpg

aow7VZCh.jpg

9QKFbMQh.jpg

KXUOSPth.jpg

1FaPU85h.jpg

Sorry for the awful photos. Its been a long day!

Associate
Sorry for the awful photos. Its been a long day!

Thanks for this, I also am choosing between the XL or non-XL. I was going to go non-XL since I don't want a distro plate, but do want 3 slim rads and a vert mount GPU. Your build makes me see that it will will not look like too much empty space in the XL version. Now, given I won't need the HDD space I just have to decide if it is possible to fit everything into the non-XL.

Associate
OP
Thanks for this, I also am choosing between the XL or non-XL. I was going to go non-XL since I don't want a distro plate, but do want 3 slim rads and a vert mount GPU. Your build makes me see that it will will not look like too much empty space in the XL version. Now, given I won't need the HDD space I just have to decide if it is possible to fit everything into the non-XL.

what’s not shown is the sound card that fits very comfortably you won’t get that with the non xl version. If you don’t plan on that you’ll get two slim 360 rads easily in the smaller version

Associate
Looks great, nice job well done.

On the inlet outlet port dilemma, one of the cleanest solutions I have seen from someone on Reddit looks like this:
rE9rdDJ.jpg
If you wanted to avoid bending, you could probably have an extension come out of the waterblock to make things line up, and turn the upper 90 degree fitting so that it aligns straight to the distro.

That said, your upside down U loop makes the build stand out

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Looks great, nice job well done.

On the inlet outlet port dilemma, one of the cleanest solutions I have seen from someone on Reddit looks like this:
http://imgur.com/a/VtCMsCb.png
If you wanted to avoid bending, you could probably have an extension come out of the waterblock to make things line up, and turn the upper 90 degree fitting so that it aligns straight to the distro.

That said, your upside down U loop makes the build stand out.
JFJGUgS.png

That looks really good. I had unfortunately not anticipated this, so had to do a make shift solution. Ill apply this though when my new GPU block comes. Thanks for the share.

Associate

If you go xl, you can go dual loop. I'm using flt 120 d5 with PE in push pull for one loop right now and will fit an xe push pull with flt 240 d5 for the 2nd loop.

Back
Top Bottom