Pink Floyd - i dont get it

Caporegime
I discovered pink floyd in my late teens combined with a lot of LSD and a small group of good friends.....:p So especially dark side of the moon just has special weird memories for me.
The Wall as well that's just as Nitefly perfectly said and then the Division Bell. I was just the right age and mindset to relate to it.
I sometimes listen to an album at work and i've had tears in my eyes. I have to be careful as not to shame myself infront of my colleagues :p

Im glad i read this thread.

its like when the dune trailer came out with eclipse as its music i was welling up.
It just connects me to my youth...

Jesus and wish you were here.... How could i forget that. Maybe im having the middle aged crisis and regrets

/gay :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I love The Wall and The Final Cut but I have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to them, whereas I can pick up and play DSOTM, for example, pretty much at any point.

Soldato
Floyd were amazing. Some of their stuff is so simple, yet so powerful. "Mother" is basic 3 chords (G, C, D) but the subtle mute of the A string with the G chord and the timing change, the subtle little hammer on and then when the key changes with the F bar chord and it's switched to 6/8.

You're left wondering, did they mean all that or did it just knit together?

Anyway, they're an absolute treat to listen to. Timeless. :)

Associate
To add some more why a lot of people like them, they've been around so long they originally pretty much crossed over with The Beatles and Rolling Stones, the Syd Barret version of the band was very much part of its time, a swinging 60's band with an artistic style, but still fairly conventional. Barely 5 years older than both bands so they still had a lot of that 60's London experience.

Over the years they changed so much that they were highly influential on the electronic ambient and techno scenes unlike most other bands from their era in the 60's. By 1978 Punk was writing them off as dead and done, as we've seen they survived and even picked some 80's and 90's style while keeping their integrity and packing out houses long after many of those punk bands died.

I think to really appreciate them you need to read up on Syd Barrett's descent and how they dealt with that, really is one hell of a story, some good autobiographies out there.

A lot of their appeal is the contrast between the highly accessible, soulful singing Dave Gilmour and the far less accessible Geddy Lee style mewlings of Roger Waters, who is not gifted with a soulful voice at all. Yet he still has a lot to say and his stuff could be considered be the more thought provoking 'harder listens' like the Wall.

Even some long time Pink Floyd fans like me aren't really that drawn to Roger Waters but still respect his output, but as has been mentioned the Dark Side of the Moon is both highly artistic and thought provoking along with a highly accessible musical style, pretty much why many regard it as their best album.

Soldato
I discovered pink floyd in my late teens combined with a lot of LSD and a small group of good friends.....:p
Same here.
I was never into PF, but one night round a friend's house we partook of certain illicit substances and he then put on his video of The Delicate Sound Of Thunder, and suddenly it all sounded amazing.
On a similar night he played some Beatles stuff and, for the first time, they actually sounded good... but that's probably what turned me off both of them - If I have to get stoned/high to enjoy or 'get' someone's music, it's probably not that good. :D

Man of Honour
The first date I had with Mrs Sexy was watching Pink Floyd on The British Winter Tour in 1974 and it also became the biggest selling bootleg in history for many years.
I went to see them 4 times in the 70s but I'm afraid they never really did much for me.
I was playing in a band a couple of years ago that did 4 Floyd songs so I did get a bit more appreciation for them and then somebody paid for me to go and see Think Floyd to see how it's done and I nearly fell asleep.

Commissario
Love Pink Floyd, my favourite band. So much good stuff. Animals is vastly underrated and is right up there for me. I'm also a big fan of Roger Waters and his solo stuff which is probably why I like The Final Cut as much as I do.

I really need to get my PF tattoo finished!

Associate
I like a bit of floyd, nothing major. I have the same issue with oasis, they seem to be universally liked/loved and some of my friends are obsessed, but I really dislike their music and could happily never listen to it again.

Soldato
Oddly I'm not a fan of their studio albums - not sure why TBH - and therefore don't own any, but the I find that their Live album "Delicate Sound of Thunder" is one of my favourite albums even though I don't particularly enjoy the studio versions of the songs they chose.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I believe they resisted going to iTunes for years because they wanted their albums listened to in their entirety as a musical work, instead of picked apart by song... and I kind of agree.

They’re definitely a band that you benefit from by listening to an entire album, with some headphones on and no distractions.

I’ve posted this rendition of “shine on...” because it gives me chills. As a guitarist, the clean tone that Gilmour gets on this live performance is chilling. Very powerful.

Associate
I was born in '71 and I recollect my Dad playing a few albums during the 70s as I grew up (recurring theme in the thread it seems!) that really left an impression on me, mainly Genesis - A Trick of the Tail, Supertramp - Crime of the Century, Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon and Animals.

I went through his vinyl collection a little while ago helping my Mum having a clear out in the attic (he passed away 11 years ago), to my surprise he had every Pink Floyd album. Don't know why I was surprised, he had a proper prog rock collection going on.

Animals is my favourite, never listened anything before Dark side, other than the odd song they've played live 'One of these Days' and 'Astronomy Domine'. Am going to give the early material a go.

Soldato
I never really got them either other than "Brick in the Wall" but apparently thats the one every Floyd fan hates. Go figure...

No denying their musicianship though especially Gilmour's guitar. But the albums just don't "click" for me. But then I'm crazy about some artists that other people go "I don't get it" either so horses for course I guess.

Back
Top Bottom