Anyone have parking wars with their neighbours?

Caporegime
It was my only requirement. My partner on the other hand insisted in living in one of two areas, which happen to be the most expensive post codes in Bristol. This immediately took out nearly every property with 1 space, never mind 2, out of our budget, as a 2 bed flat with 1 parking space can reach £500k (not out of budget, but still, ridiculous money for what you get when you can buy houses for half that in other areas imo).

Luckily, we found a mortgage lender that would accept my situation and so managed find a 3 bed townhouse with 2 spaces in budget in the end, but until we got to that point my partner and I fell out a lot over each of ours refusal to budge on our requirements and my work situation.

This is where we're heading too. My wife wants the high life, to be seen with the Joneses and all that, whereas I just want some outdoor space and a garage. I can already see that it's good to cause massive drama :/

Soldato
I don’t know which part of this bit is the most pathetic, the parking “rules” or the WhatsApp group.

Definitely the "rules", having a neighbourhood WhatsApp group can be really helpful if you have good neighbours. Someone has always got a tool you can borrow or you can take delivery of their parcels when they are at work etc.

Caporegime
Definitely the "rules", having a neighbourhood WhatsApp group can be really helpful if you have good neighbours. Someone has always got a tool you can borrow or you can take delivery of their parcels when they are at work etc.

We manage that by actually talking to and being friends with our immediate neighbours. I wouldn’t want to be in any kind of social media grouping with the neighbours, hell, I don’t want to use social media tools at all if I can help it!

Soldato
This is where we're heading too. My wife wants the high life, to be seen with the Joneses and all that, whereas I just want some outdoor space and a garage. I can already see that it's good to cause massive drama :/

It's a grim battle dude. Although now I'm on the other side of it.... and I wont tell her this ever, but it is kind of nice being in a very fancy area. The shops are nicer, its quieter, there's never any trouble, people are nicer (if a bit snotty at first). I am also sure she is very very happy to have a parking space to come back to after work, and she won't admit that to me.

Caporegime
Yeah we already established that I said I don’t own it. The point is, if everyone stuck to a particular space or position their would be no need to have any issues. I know you park there, you know I park here now we can all be friends.

If everyone stuck to a particular “space” then what happens if a one car household becomes a two car household, or a household that had a Smart Car goes and gets an A8L? It doesn’t work like that, and nor should it. If people want somewhere guaranteed to park, buy somewhere that allows for it, otherwise be prepared to be disappointed.

Soldato
We manage that by actually talking to and being friends with our immediate neighbours. I wouldn’t want to be in any kind of social media grouping with the neighbours, hell, I don’t want to use social media tools at all if I can help it!

WhatsApp is hardly social media, its just like... a text message. Why just be friends with the immediate neighbours? I've got a nice grouping of 6 family houses in my Mews and its delightful. I take in all their packages whilst they do their 9-5's, they lend me tools (if I'm honest normally when I ask for the tool they come round and do the job for me!)

Caporegime
It's a grim battle dude. Although now I'm on the other side of it.... and I wont tell her this ever, but it is kind of nice being in a very fancy area. The shops are nicer, its quieter, there's never any trouble, people are nicer (if a bit snotty at first). I am also sure she is very very happy to have a parking space to come back to after work, and she won't admit that to me.

Exactly. Our next move is from Streatham Hill to Chiswick (which will be the last place we rent before buying) and there's simply no denying that it's an entirely different class of people there. As much as I detest not being able to get what I want, I'm sick of seeing all the shady trash gradually take over our neighbourhood.

Man of Honour
Don't miss my old house in this respect - while we had enough drive space of our own it wasn't a huge issue many of the neighbours had some kind of allergy to using their own drives for some reason and/or filled the drive then parked 1-3 cars on the pavement outside and to hell with anyone else combined with the gradual increase year on year of cars per household - so in later years the street was a mess of chicanes at night dodging parked cars and sometimes would get people parking inconsiderately in relation to our drive.

The best bit was when it resulted in parked cars blocking in a delivery driver and the police took no prisoners - put in the window of the worst offender (who was parked very badly) and moved it and then when the owner turned up and started having a go at the police they gave them a right proper dressing down - won't lie that was satisfying to witness.

Soldato
Slightly off topic but a flat I used to live in was murder for parking, the whole road was nose to tail with parked cars up one side with just enough room for a single lane of roadway left. People resorted to parking on junctions with 2 wheels up on the kerb. One day I was walking home and a fire engine came speeding up the road with blues and twos going, but they couldn't swing round the corner due to cars parked on the junction. A fireman got out to guide the driver and beckoned him forward, I stopped to watch because it appeared that he was going to hit a Corsa parked on the corner. He did but the fireman doing the guiding didn't bat an eyelid and kept beckoning him forward, and slowly the fire engine rounded the corner and slowly ripped the front bumper completely off the Corsa in the process. The fireman doing the guiding then picked up the bumper, dumped it on the payment next to the Corsa, jumped back in the fire engine and they all sped off on their way, presumably to extinguish a fire.

Brilliant!

Soldato
Exactly. Our next move is from Streatham Hill to Chiswick (which will be the last place we rent before buying) and there's simply no denying that it's an entirely different class of people there. As much as I detest not being able to get what I want, I'm sick of seeing all the shady trash gradually take over our neighbourhood.

The trick is is to be the shady trash moving into a nicer area.

Associate
I don’t know which part of this bit is the most pathetic, the parking “rules” or the WhatsApp group.

lol

The ‘rules’ are taken more seriously by some of the neighbours. Personally I don’t really care where I park my car. However I also know that Barry across the road always parks in the same spot (as do all of the neighbours) so I don’t bother parking my car in their spot. Even though I know that technically no one has an official claim on any of the on street parking.

There are 12 houses in our little cul-de-sac. Half of which have driveways and when you include the on street parking there is plenty of room for 2 cars per house.

It may come as a surprise but you can interact with people via multiple channels. I talk to all of the neighbours in person regularly.

The WhatsApp group is just another method of communication. Yes on the odd occasion some of the neighbours voice parking concerns, but it also helped out when a neighbour let us know that our fence had come down in the high winds when we were on holiday.

Last edited:
Associate

and yet you quite happily talk to complete strangers on here.......

Associate
We live in a new build estate and the roads are narrower than usual, which means bad parking has a bigger impact. Everyone has a driveway, but some just seem to no bother using them which makes it a bit like a slalom to get out of the estate at times.

What does annoy me is the lady who has a large car and parks it on the corner in front of her house, making it hard to get past (bin lorries and other larger vehicles really struggle past it). Her excuse is that she has mobilty issues and can't walk from her driveway which is round the side of her house. I get that, but why buy the house in the first place when you knew that would be an issue (whole estate is only 2 years old, mobiity issues were there before she bought it)!!

Soldato
If the MPs vote for banning parking on pavements that certainly would be an interesting one.

New build estates not providing ample provision for parking because they "want to encourage public transport use" has got to be the biggest cop out ever, they'd rather use that space to build more houses.

Man of Honour
New build estates not providing ample provision for parking because they "want to encourage public transport use" has got to be the biggest cop out ever, they'd rather use that space to build more houses.

It also just isn't true and hasn't been for a number of years now. Near me every new build semi detached house has off road parking for 3 cars (Garages on new build properties are now a very generous size), the detached properties often even more.. It is simply unreasonable for people to purchase properties like this knowing they need space for 4, 5 or 6 cars and then just leave them all over the pavement instead. Whilst it will sometimes be the case that peoples circumstances change in an unforeseeable way post purchase, more often than not people are happy to make the trade-off into a nicer house by just leaving their car parking problems to the neighbours.

It also just isn't true and hasn't been for a number of years now.

Its local council dependent and in some areas very much is still true, but they have recognised and updated to far more sensible levels outside cities basically.
Each council should have their own policy and that should take account of local services etc
Link to the local one for me, now says minimum, as follows (page 52)
https://www.suffolk.gov.uk/assets/p...-Guidance-for-Parking-2019-Adopted-by-SCC.pdf

1 bed 1 space, 2-3 bed 2 spaces, 4+ beds 3 spaces. It flipped round quite significantly from limiting to setting minimums.

The problem for many is they will have a garage but most people wont use it for parking so in fact its 1 less in many circumstances

Man of Honour
The problem for many is they will have a garage but most people wont use it for parking so in fact its 1 less in many circumstances

Perhaps a legal restriction on parking on pavements might encourage them to do so. It's just not fair to pedestrians that people litter pavements with cars when they've got a perfectly good off road parking space they could use if they did some tidying up.

Outside of specific examples where the pavements are wide and marked for parking by the local authority then a wheel on a pavement should unfortunately land you with a parking fine. It is, after all, a pavement.

Soldato
It annoyed me massively where we used to live. There was plenty of room to park on the road properly:

7B0jfqS.jpg

But people still felt it necessary to park like this:

UzjvONk.png

Associate
Here they don't even ticket for double yellows or dropped kerbs, blocking pavements. Crap I deal with every day whilst assistance my disabled partner and child, worse during holidays.

Edit: it is also a bus route road somehow

97909026_10219859942703025_3389511099635204096_o.jpg

96949778_10219860589919205_4812254252346900480_o.jpg

this is how it should be

Screenshot-2020-11-26-155052.png

Back
Top Bottom