Seeking advice on upgrade / new build

Associate
Appreciate there's a lot of these at the moment, but I'm looking for some friendly advice / input at what feels like an incredily poor time to be considering an upgrade / new build.

I planned to do a new build towards the end of this year in order to run games like Watchdogs, Assassins Creed and Cyberpunk in their higher settings - my current system (listed below) was originally built in 2012 and whilst it has had some upgrades here and there over the years, it barely meets minimum requirements for latest titles such as these.

However, I never envisaged the situation we find ourselves in, whereby the the latest CPU and GPU releases are almost impossible to get your hands on and current tech also seems price inflated. So I find myself in a tricky situation; I'd still like to improve my system and play these games, but I feel a bit disappointed that if I went ahead with a new build now it wouldn't be utilising the latest releases.

So based on my current system, is there anything I can do to squeeze out a bit more life and run the latest titles until the issues within the industry resolve, or do I accept I need to push ahead with a new build using whatever is currently available (which would likely still be a huge improvement on my current system).

Intel i5-3570k (oc'd to 4.2GHz)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H DDR3 Mobo
16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10
GTX 980ti
Corsair H100i v2
512GB + 256GB 830 series SSD
Super Flower Leadex platinum 850w
Corsair Carbide 500R

Currently using a 27" 1440p 60Hz monitor - refersh rate never been vital for the type of games I played, until recently I started playing Valorant so potentially looking to upgrade here as well for higher refresh rate.

Budget wise I set aside ~£2k excluding any monitor upgrade.

Soldato
You could get a second hand i7 3770K to increase core count but its going to be about £100 second hand so is likely just throwing good money after bad as they say.

Gpu wise you would need a 2060 super or 2070 super 5700xt to get a boost over your 980ti.

I would use this as a base build.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £395.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

You have a good case, PUS and AIO.
Then add a 5600x cpu and a 6800/3070 when they are available. Alternativly a ryzen 5 3600 £185 and a second hand 2060/2070/super or 5700/xt until you get what you really want.

Monitor

Total: £440.69 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Associate
OP
You could get a second hand i7 3770K to increase core count but its going to be about £100 second hand so is likely just throwing good money after bad as they say.

Yeah had a quick look at the pre-owned market, plenty available around that price, but not sure I'd see enough improvement to warrant the outlay and risk.

Gpu wise you would need a 2060 super or 2070 super 5700xt to get a boost over your 980ti.

Disappointing the prices for 20xx series are so high still, but suppose the demand is there given lack of 30xx stock and people wanting to upgrade right now.
Can see a few 5700xt's at other retailers for under £400 which seems best value to me.
Maybe some better offers will come up in the next few days.

I would use this as a base build.

Total: £395.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

You have a good case, PUS and AIO.
Then add a 5600x cpu and a 6800/3070 when they are available. Alternativly a ryzen 5 3600 £185 and a second hand 2060/2070/super or 5700/xt until you get what you really want.

Thanks, noted the parts for now.

In terms of PSU, mine has been in use since 2014 so would it be fine to continue using in a new build? Not sure what the life expectancy on these is.

Monitor

Total: £440.69 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Thanks, looks decent although not sure about curved screens and 32" seems huge for desktop screen! Does the curve make it feel smaller? Could actually pick this up via perksatwork at quite a discounted rate. One thing putting me off is 4ms for a 'gaming' monitor seems high in this day and age.

Soldato
You're probably best just waiting 3 or 4 months till all this launch craze blows over and then you can just casually pick the parts you need and have them delivered the next day and since you have had your current system for 8 years then a small wait wont hurt, buying now just means long delays and paying over the odds.

Associate
OP
You're probably best just waiting 3 or 4 months till all this launch craze blows over and then you can just casually pick the parts you need and have them delivered the next day and since you have had your current system for 8 years then a small wait wont hurt, buying now just means long delays and paying over the odds.
Certainly the wise move, but perhaps not the one I want to take haha. There's also the possibility this situation continues well into next year, Microsoft have already stated they expect stock shortages on the Xbox to continue until at least April so if that's anything to go by then future looks bleak.

Soldato
Do not buy that MSI X570 Gaming Plus board as it is trash.

This would be a much better option for the same price.

Total: £150.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Thanks @lee32uk . I couldnt remember which of the 'gaming' models was the bad one.

@ollies
The psu should be fine as it was a top quality model.
I have a 32" curved and it doesnt seem that huge. I barely notice its curved anymore. Its great for games.
I would look at the second hand market for a GPU unless you can wait to get a new model when they are more redily available or get in the ring for one now.

Soldato
Thanks @lee32uk . I couldnt remember which of the 'gaming' models was the bad one.

@ollies
The psu should be fine as it was a top quality model.
I have a 32" curved and it doesnt seem that huge. I barely notice its curved anymore. Its great for games.
I would look at the second hand market for a GPU unless you can wait to get a new model when they are more redily available or get in the ring for one now.

No probs. The only good MSI X570 boards are the Tomahawk, Unify, Ace, Creation and Godlike. The rest of the X570 lineup have pretty flimsy VRM's.

Soldato
One thing putting me off is 4ms for a 'gaming' monitor seems high in this day and age.
Then they're more likely closer to real value relatively.
Because all those 1ms ads are total BS and some cherry picked most optimal transition.
For average 4ms response time would be really good.
Though in case of VA dark shades propably have many transitions with many times slower response times.
That's why if having normal room lightning IPS is surer choise with its more stable response time behaviour.

You could get a second hand i7 3770K to increase core count
Hyperthreading doesn't increase core count any!
It only lets other/"secondary" thread to use core's execution units not used by main thread.
And it would still be less than half the CPU power of new Xbox.

Associate
OP
Then they're more likely closer to real value relatively.
Because all those 1ms ads are total BS and some cherry picked most optimal transition.
For average 4ms response time would be really good.
Though in case of VA dark shades propably have many transitions with many times slower response times.
That's why if having normal room lightning IPS is surer choise with its more stable response time behaviour.
Fair enough. I'd like to stick with IPS, but having a look around it seems higher refresh rate IPS monitors are a rare thing at this time. How do VA panels compare in terms of picture quality these days? I've been using my IPS monitor for at least 6 years and love it.

Soldato
Hyperthreading doesn't increase core count any!
It only lets other/"secondary" thread to use core's execution units not used by main thread.
And it would still be less than half the CPU power of new Xbox.

Your correct I meant threads not core count. Doh :)

Soldato
Fair enough. I'd like to stick with IPS, but having a look around it seems higher refresh rate IPS monitors are a rare thing at this time. How do VA panels compare in terms of picture quality these days? I've been using my IPS monitor for at least 6 years and love it.
In 32" size high Hz IPSes have been MIA until recently.
But in 27" size there must be dozens of models starting from about £300.

Back
Top Bottom