Ikea markus replacement?

Soldato
I’ve had mine since august, no noises here but I would be contacting support if mine did that.

The dust comments are interesting, perhaps he should clean more. I agree with his take on the nonlockable arm rests but not on the material. If your leaning on the arms to the point it hurts your not sitting up straight.

Im not going to say it’s as well built as a Herman Miller, it frankly isn’t (have a few at work). But for the money I cannot complain about the build quality and was far better than anything I have sat in with that level of adjustability at such a affordable (imo for the features) price.

Soldato
On offer on the official website, 15 day trail looks interesting. Did you buy from there, whats delivery like?

It was out of stock when I bought it so there was a lead time but they actually delivered it ahead of their estimate on the site when I ordered. It shipped from somewhere in Europe, took 2 days and was delivered by TNT IIRC.

One thing to note is that they are American and therefore don't add tax to their product page prices, its added in the cart. But also as they are American there are always discount codes/referral links floating around online.

I think I paid about £300 (inc VAT) after I found a discount code online. There about £30 more than that once you chuck a discount code on.

Associate
There were a lot of complaints about Auonomous Ai on the officechairs sub... seems like they're just rebranding some Malaysian companies chairs (which is a shame as I had a look at their site and they had managed to figure out how to rip off a HM Embody but add a headrest, which'd be a great addition, but I don't think AA had a copy of that one when I checked) ... also folks trying to return them were getting jazz from support about needing pictures they'd not damaged the chair ... others were unable to assemble them, even with the assistance of other people, due to poor manufacturing (leading to speculation that maybe that's why they were asking for proof of undamaged chairs before refunding, because it's semi-likely you might break it trying to put it together) ... so I'd discounted that company from my chair search ...

It was some months ago that I looked at it so I might be getting mixed up and you never know if you're getting it straight, but might be worth looking around for those threads if someone was seriously considering getting an AA chair, but maybe you'd get lucky and have no problems anyway.

Associate
How you finding it a week on bud?

Well a few weeks on and I think I'm about ready to give up with the Aeron, I'm back in my Markus.

I had good days and bad in the Aeron, sometimes it felt OK, but other times like a torture device. I've adjusted it every which way I can. My main complaint seems to be that the base is too firm and pushes into my legs and cuts off the blood supply leading to pins and needles and pain in the back and thighs.

As soon as I sit in the Markus again, it just feels so damn nice. I'm sure the Aeron is a great chair for those who it fits, but I appear not to be one of those people.

Soldato
Well a few weeks on and I think I'm about ready to give up with the Aeron, I'm back in my Markus.

I had good days and bad in the Aeron, sometimes it felt OK, but other times like a torture device. I've adjusted it every which way I can. My main complaint seems to be that the base is too firm and pushes into my legs and cuts off the blood supply leading to pins and needles and pain in the back and thighs.

As soon as I sit in the Markus again, it just feels so damn nice. I'm sure the Aeron is a great chair for those who it fits, but I appear not to be one of those people.

That's a shame mate.

I'm sure you'll have no trouble selling it on, assuming you're outside of the return window.

It's an awful time for buying a chair due to current circumstances, it's the sort of thing you really want to be able to go and check out before buying.

Associate
That's a shame mate.

I'm sure you'll have no trouble selling it on, assuming you're outside of the return window.

It's an awful time for buying a chair due to current circumstances, it's the sort of thing you really want to be able to go and check out before buying.

Not too bad in the end, I’m within the returns so the company is going to collect, all I will lose is the postage, which when I technically didn’t pay anything for it, isn’t a bad result really. As I never really had a problem with the Markus in the first place, I’ll just see how I get on with that. I’m pretty sure it was me at fault rather than the chair, but I’m sick of spending hours trying to get comfortable and dreading the moment I have to sit in it. I thought I would get used to it but I’m pretty sure it’s not happening.

Soldato

Honestly the Markus isn't too bad, and is quite modifiable due to its popularity.

You can cut the foam in the lumbar support if it is too much for you, you can 3D print or fashion some brackets to lower the armrests (look up thingverse) so that it fits under the desk, or you can just 3D print a whole new armrest. Hell, you can even 3D print a wedge to give the chair 5 more degrees of tilt.

Soldato
I nearly bought an Aeron on a whim but after looking at many saying they couldn't adapt I've sort of whittled it down to between a Haworth Zody or a Steelcase Please V2.
I'm thinking Zody as its meant to be an all rounder and spares are plentiful.

Associate
OP
I nearly bought an Aeron on a whim but after looking at many saying they couldn't adapt I've sort of whittled it down to between a Haworth Zody or a Steelcase Please V2.
I'm thinking Zody as its meant to be an all rounder and spares are plentiful.

Shame they only selling the boring black Zody one over here, love the smoke version!

Soldato
I opted for it due to being told it was probably the more all rounder that you can still slouch in if you want to.

The seat base slides in and out, the lumbar support isn't very strong but is noticeable. It can be adjusted per side of the back too.
The arm rests are multidirectional. Plenty options for a fairly cheap seat.

Soldato
Humanscale Freedom.
Worth every penny for me. I had a £50 generic office chair before that. It wasn't comfortable and getting through the day was difficult regardless of how many breaks I took.
The design of the Humanscale Freedom was strange to me at first - for example there is no recliner lever, instead you just lean back and you can stop at any position. I also thought the padding looked too thin. Took a punt on it and don't regret it one bit. Awesome chair, could sit in it all day comfortably.

I did have an Orangebox Flo just before that, but it didn't come with a headrest which was essential for me. That too was comfortable.

Soldato
Humanscale Freedom.
Worth every penny for me. I had a £50 generic office chair before that. It wasn't comfortable and getting through the day was difficult regardless of how many breaks I took.
The design of the Humanscale Freedom was strange to me at first - for example there is no recliner lever, instead you just lean back and you can stop at any position. I also thought the padding looked too thin. Took a punt on it and don't regret it one bit. Awesome chair, could sit in it all day comfortably.

I did have an Orangebox Flo just before that, but it didn't come with a headrest which was essential for me. That too was comfortable.

That was another one I was interested in too.

Back
Top Bottom