Schoolboy error - need help in choosing Motherboard

Associate
Hi All, i am upgrading after 5 years. i wanted to go via the cheapest upgrade path to a mid-range spec pc. I hurriedly purchased a couple of items from ebay sellers brand new, seeing they were at a decent price. I got a 1TB NVMe M2 pci Gen4 ssd and then i purchased a Intel i5-10400F. Only after purchase i read that the CPU will not support pci gen 4 and it will limit DDR4 memory speed too ! (Should have gone for Ryzen 3600)
Now i am trying to find memory and a motherboard to go with the CPU and SSD i already purchased. I want to make it future proof so if i change the CPU, i can make use of PCI Gen 4. What motherboard is best to go with the components i have already purchased. Also the motherboard must have usb type C header. looking for the best value for money board.

Associate
The msi gaming edge wifi b550 board is a great price at ocuk at the moment, I bought one today and it has the features you are after. It has a decent vrm on it as well. Some good reports on youtube.

Associate
OP
Hi thanks for your responses. sorry if I was not clear. I already have have the Intel i5-10440f waiting for delivery. Now I need a motherboard for it. I wanted to have pci4 features and benefits but I think the CPU is going to limit the function.should I still get z490 or alower spec mobo

Soldato
I'd go with a Z490 as that will mean you can use higher speed memory and you may even get PCIe 4 enabled if you decide to upgrade to rocket lake later on which comes out around March time.

A PCIe gen 4.0 nvme will work fine on a gen 3 although it's speed will be limited but unless you move a lot of data around on a regular basis then you won't really notice a difference.

If want to go with a cheaper z490 then this is worth a watch before buying anything.

Back
Top Bottom