**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
+1 for the Ibywind. Cheap enough to change every few months, doesn't effect touch response or fingerprint and "feels" close to the glass experience. Best installation method for a TPU film as well.

I've recently switched to using the Whitestone Dome after unsuccessful experiences with Ultimate Shields version of liquid glue glass protectors. The Whitestone is so far very good in terms of staying stuck down and feel, but it's not quite as good coverage edge-to-edge like the US (can see light at the edges in bright full screen) and they have cut out the selfie-cam which I think is pointless as the glass never negatively impacted on the US. Remains to be seen if their warranty service is as good as it promises to be, as it will no doubt come loose or break during it's lifetime, they all do!

If you can master the UV glue screen installations they offer much more protection.

Soldato
Finally 11.0.1.1 has come through on OTA.

Now the question is, should I install? What does it break lol (currently on final 10)

I've just installed it. First impressions... It's not as bad as I thought it would be. I like that the brightness slider is on the first pull down. Look forward to testing AOD.

Edit.

Camera power shortcut working properly now. No longer locking phone before it launches camera! Yess.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just installed it. First impressions... It's not as bad as I thought it would be. I like that the brightness slider is on the first pull down. Look forward to testing AOD.

Edit.

Camera power shortcut working properly now. No longer locking phone before it launches camera! Yess.

Nice!

Associate
Just ordered an 8t 8gb with the £100 off. Coming from a Moto G5 so some upgrade. Was going to go for a Pixel for the camera but fancied a faster phone this time round.
Anything to be aware of?
Any must have apps? Is GCam worth getting hold of?

Soldato
Just ordered an 8t 8gb with the £100 off. Coming from a Moto G5 so some upgrade. Was going to go for a Pixel for the camera but fancied a faster phone this time round.
Anything to be aware of?
Any must have apps? Is GCam worth getting hold of?

I bought a Pixel 5 for work and while it's a good device, I was very underwhelmed by the lack of fundamentals they're still not getting right.

When I saw the 8T at £449, I bought it on the basis I'd sell my Pixel.

The 8T is the most iPhone-like Android phone I've ever bought, in all the right ways.

OnePlus are finally beginning to understand how to make a good device without major compromises.

Vibration motor is excellent, auto brightness seems as good as an iPhone (finally!), display is as good as my 12 Pro Max (to my eye), speakers are decent enough, built quality leagues ahead of pixel, but not quite stainless steel.

Overall, I'm massively impressed by the value for money here. Even the camera is pretty decent - I'll try and get some comparison shots between the iPhone and 8T

Soldato
I bought a Pixel 5 for work and while it's a good device, I was very underwhelmed by the lack of fundamentals they're still not getting right.

When I saw the 8T at £449, I bought it on the basis I'd sell my Pixel.

The 8T is the most iPhone-like Android phone I've ever bought, in all the right ways.

OnePlus are finally beginning to understand how to make a good device without major compromises.

Vibration motor is excellent, auto brightness seems as good as an iPhone (finally!), display is as good as my 12 Pro Max (to my eye), speakers are decent enough, built quality leagues ahead of pixel, but not quite stainless steel.

Overall, I'm massively impressed by the value for money here. Even the camera is pretty decent - I'll try and get some comparison shots between the iPhone and 8T

The 8T is certainly a great deal @ 450. The 120hz screen puts the 12pro max screen to shame given the price delta.

Soldato
The 120hz screen puts the 12pro max screen to shame given the price delta.

I switch between the two all day and can't really say I miss the 120Hz - the 8T has some weird jelly looking response times, especially from black-dark pixel transitions that the iPhone simply doesn't exhibit.

iPhone is also brighter.

But yes, overall I wouldn't choose one screen over the other :)

Edit: on an IPS display I would argue a 120Hz display is a necessity, to get the response times lower to help reduce the ghosting

Soldato
Some pretty decent deals on the 8Pro (£200 off) running up to BF. Glad I got mine back in April though as I just know I would have chickened out and gone for a Pixel 4a by now.

Soldato
So I've been using the OnePlus 8T now for about a week and it's honestly the best Android phone I've used/owned by a mile.

Sure, the camera isn't quite as good as the pixel but it is very good compared to OnePlus phones of old.

The new haptic motor is absolutely awesome :cool:

Associate
Had mine for a few days and similarly impressed. It's a massive upgrade from my old phone and the camera is great having never had a decent one on my phone before.

Associate
So I've been using the OnePlus 8T now for about a week and it's honestly the best Android phone I've used/owned by a mile.

Sure, the camera isn't quite as good as the pixel but it is very good compared to OnePlus phones of old.

The new haptic motor is absolutely awesome :cool:
what other oneplus phones have your used? ive had the 3t and now the 7t and tbh i dont think the cameras are that bad, just interested in what upgrades are worth it for me

Soldato
what other oneplus phones have your used? ive had the 3t and now the 7t and tbh i dont think the cameras are that bad, just interested in what upgrades are worth it for me
I had the original, 5, 7T (which I didn't really rate - it was my primary phone and the iPhone XS Max was better which I was switching from).

I now have a 12 Pro Max and the 8T as a work phone, and while it still isn't as good as the iPhone, it's definitely the best Android phone I've used :)

Associate
I had the original, 5, 7T (which I didn't really rate - it was my primary phone and the iPhone XS Max was better which I was switching from).

I now have a 12 Pro Max and the 8T as a work phone, and while it still isn't as good as the iPhone, it's definitely the best Android phone I've used :)
thank you

Soldato
Soldato
Hello chaps

I got a OP8Pro recently, and at night it has the notorious green tint issue at low brightness

Is this common and to be expected (fixed with the DC Dimming), or should I reject it?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom