• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How are AMD & Nvidia such badly run companies?

Gux

Gux

Associate
OP
Have read a number of posts now and got to here. You keep saying they both fail constantly but I don't know anyone whom really had any issues for anything right up to the 1000 series GPU.

With that it really has only been this generation that's had such massive issues. Further to that Apple are deffo going through issues too with having many phone on back order now for 5-6 weeks and similar.

Also the M1 isn't smoking the competition. At this point you sound more like a troll or just uninformed and think apple is king.

There have almost always been issues with stock when new cards are released. When was the last time you could buy a new GPU on launch day without having to F5 & pay ridiculous money on top of that?

With regards to Apple, yes there may be 5 to 6 week delay, but they actually do ship huge quantities of this stuff, while we're going to be waiting 3 to 4 months for the GPU stock. And Apple doesn't jack-up the prices because stock is low. Have you seen some of the AIB prices for 6800XT or the 3080's?

And in what universe does the M1 not smoke the competition? It has almost overnight doubled the battery life of Macbooks, has vastly reduced thermals & thermal throttling. The integrated GPU is a million miles ahead of what Intel offers. To top it off, this is the worst silicon Apple will ever ship in a Mac, while half of the software is still being emulated yet it still is outperforming the native Intel Macs. The only real downside is the RAM & ports limitation.

Last edited:
Associate
GPU's are not a high demand product

Yeah, they sort of are? Certainly massively more than normal too.

Lot's of people skipped 2000 series, lots of people working from home, lots of people bored at home upgrading or building new pcs.

Most common webcams are still out of stock and it's been the same for monitors at times too.

Associate
totally agree i work in retail and experienced the same thing, the supermarkets cant prepare for idiots hoarding bog rolls, was like a plague of locusts, our shop was stripped mulitple times, selfishness took over

Ditto. Distribution had the goods, they just couldn't keep up with how often we needed them. That was the problem, not a shortage of the product itself, as is the case here.

Associate
It's a good job food production, distribution, and sales aren't run the same way! ;)

Tens of tousands of tonnes of unsold food is thrown away in the UK each year.

I do think that AMD would have struggled with supply even if this was a normal year - launching/supplying so many products competing for the same silicon within a few weeks of each other was quite ambitious.

Associate
Tens of tousands of tonnes of unsold food is thrown away in the UK each year.

Precisely. Supply is outstripping demand by orders of magnitude, which means you'll never face being unable to buy food. Unless distribution breaks down and can't get it to the shops, which is extremely unlikely.

Now, imagine these two companies running the food retail industry! We'd all starve! :p

Soldato
When the PlayStation launched there were huge shortages. When the PS2 launched people were given tickets as they’d pre-ordered at stores like Game. Shortages are nothing new when it comes to Tech launches but some either don’t remember or are to young to actually realise. When I worked at Currys 25 years ago one Dad sat in the store all day waiting for our delivery to ensure he got one for his kid. From opening time right until the delivery arrived a couple of hours late at mid afternoon. We got about thirty I seem to remember and had people waiting in a queue.

Sorry, a PlayStation 1!

I remember that you couldn't get a PS1 for love nor money in the shops I eventually found one on my mother's mail order catalogue couldn't believe it when it actually arrived it was like winning the lottery.

Whats new these days of course is mass botting with the number of PS5 scalper listings running into thousands on eBay theres an awful lot of it going on its clearly a whole new dynamic has entered online retail and sites need to find some way of combatting it if regular buyers are to get their hands on anything.

Caporegime
I remember that you couldn't get a PS1 for love nor money in the shops I eventually found one on my mother's mail order catalogue couldn't believe it when it actually arrived it was like winning the lottery.

Whats new these days of course is mass botting with the number of PS5 scalper listings running into thousands on eBay theres an awful lot of it going on its clearly a whole new dynamic has entered online retail and sites need to find some way of combatting it if regular buyers are to get their hands on anything.
These are the same people that see an obvious misprice on a website and order 40 or 100 'just in case' when doing so immediately raises a flag on a monitoring or ordering system for unusual activity and the misprice is picked up. If people were only ordering one or two max there's a chance it wouldn't get picked up.

Associate
Simple, when you know you customers have no self respect, die to pay stupid prices for a GPU with (talking about Nvidia) 10gb Vram making it seems cheap as they literally robbed the poor souls that bought the most disastrous card generation (20xx) ever made in over 30 years that I play with computers (well okay back in the days Nvidia wasn't a thing nor GPU but to give some timeframe), would you not do the same?

Same as scalpers, people keep moaning, if people buy from scalpers there will be scalpers, not sure what's that difficult to get? Same reason why games have microtransactions and there are not so smart people playing F2P games, same concept.

What really strike here is how BAD AMD is....mostly fanboys "oMG AmD is So pRo ConSumEr", nope they aren't, they are usually the cheap brand and it shows, it is not the first time AMD goes ahead of Intel by some % but clearly they showed that giving them a tiny bit of power they are the worse of the lot. Jacked price up for no reasons, even on GPU where they have no pedigree, CPUs okay they Zen 2 wasn't bad value so there I understand. But come one as GamersNexus said they should stop bad mouthing other companies as they did now with the most disastrous launch, UK we all know as here and Sc*n numbers are clear, they delivered 53 CPU to them, that IS a paper launch, today both here and S...n said they weren't taking preorders as there is no stock of AIB at all. That killed even people saying "No you are crazy, it is strategy on the 25th AMD will let AIB flood the market" :D indeed...

Clearly Brexit has nothing to do with it (I am not from here by the way before someone puts it politic) as I was reading Germany has had same amount and I was speaking with a friend, one of largest retail in Italy (online) he said he will not sell CPU until Q1, so they will get zero...

It is always up to consumers, leave stuff on the shelves and they will change but hey people here roam around like zombies looking for brains not even they were running 286....

The good thing of Intel they make their own chips in their own foundries...this time we have two consoles, two gpu brands...then again is always "mystical" how iPhone are generally always supplied very very very quickly...my 2 cents there is that Apple pays for their priority whilst Nvidia just want to greed as much as possible, squeeze each consumers without any respect, as seen they are doing with AIBs with made up recommended price which can barely be met.

Permabanned
We need at least another one or two manufacturers, otherwise I genuinely fear price fixing is going to be a thing in the near future. The consumer literally has no other options but these two companies, and they know it!

Price fixing is possible regardless of how many companies there are. Because the owners and management of these companies is the world ellite and they do whatever they want without any democracy and fair conditions for the normal populace.

i did look at 5000 series, but pointless over my nitro, its not a million mies away at 1440p, 20% at most looking at benches, less when OC

The overall performance improvement is way over 20% - actually 170%. Or 2.7 times!

PassMark - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Price performance comparison (cpubenchmark.net)

PassMark - AMD Ryzen 7 1700 - Price performance comparison (cpubenchmark.net)

Soldato
Price fixing is possible regardless of how many companies there are. Because the owners and management of these companies is the world ellite and they do whatever they want without any democracy and fair conditions for the normal populace.

The overall performance improvement is way over 20% - actually 170%. Or 2.7 times!

PassMark - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Price performance comparison (cpubenchmark.net)

PassMark - AMD Ryzen 7 1700 - Price performance comparison (cpubenchmark.net)

Talking about GPUs

Back
Top Bottom