Buying first house

Caporegime
Its racist because you made a negative generalisation about an entire race of people based on your limited experiences.

Okay tell me how many white folk you know in their thirties and forties living with their parents through choice?

Because it's pretty much the norm for Indians.

Although today a lot are moving into their own homes it's probably a 50/50 split in the new young generation.

Whereas I'm guessing that the numbers of white British are in the high 90's that don't live with parents. So a massive disparity between the two.

It's a cultural thing. British folk kick their kids out as soon as they are able to.

Indians stay with their parents until they die unless you are a daughter then you move in with your in laws and stay with your husband's parents.

Therefore it's easy for folk that don't understand how other cultures work to say that having loads of people in the one home sounds like hell. When for others it's normal and tbh much better for family relations and friendships. Asians are much closer with their extended family and treat cousins like siblings. They literally see their grandads brother as their own grandad, etc. A first cousin is the same as your own brother or sister.

It's not racist pointing out cultural differences.

Caporegime
Okay tell me how many white folk you know in their thirties and forties living with their parents through choice?

Because it's pretty much the norm for Indians.

Although today a lot are moving into their own homes it's probably a 50/50 split in the new young generation.

Whereas I'm guessing that the numbers of white British are in the high 90's that don't live with parents. So a massive disparity between the two.

It's a cultural thing. British folk kick their kids out as soon as they are able to.

Indians stay with their parents until they die unless you are a daughter then you move in with your in laws and stay with your husband's parents.

Therefore it's easy for folk that don't understand how other cultures work to say that having loads of people in the one home sounds like hell. When for others it's normal and tbh much better for family relations and friendships. Asians are much closer with their extended family and treat cousins like siblings. They literally see their grandads brother as their own grandad, etc. A first cousin is the same as your own brother or sister.

It's not racist pointing out cultural differences.

You don't seem to grasp the difference between choosing to move out and being kicked out. You also didn't say that originally, you claimed British people can't wait to get rid of their siblings and children. Not some. All.
You're also conflating cohabitation with having a good relationship.

Caporegime
Yet every single iota of modern data says young "british" people are living with their parents "forever" because getting on the property ladder is extremely hard.

The only parents that kick their kids out at 16/18 tend to be complete scum bags in my experience.... Probably didnt even want their kids in the first place.

Also "british" people stopped having families with 12 kids. THe "british" culture tends to look after their elderly citizens (in theory) , no need to beg for support from the kids.

I guess you dont know this cos you're scottish... No i'm kidding... Obviously.

Soldato
Honestly didn't think the pointless responses to the op could get worse than the drivel on the first page apart from rippers and diddums post on the second page which had relevance to the OPs question for advice but **** me we've gone full retard quicker than normal :rolleyes:

Soldato
I was going to respond to PS but then I realised the only person it'll annoy is me.
Dear Lord what a response. Yeah good shout.

I do wonder how you give your partner a good servicing without getting awkward looks at the dinner table in such a busy household though. Or does everyone hold up score cards? :D

Associate
If you can see you life developing to the point where you'd end up buying that 5 bed house anyway, buy it now.
Bedrooms 3-5 are a bit on the small side, but i'm not sure i'd care - It's your house so you won't be the one sleeping in them & th eother two are a good size. A home office & a couple of kids rooms don't need to be big.

Soldato
So when I have people stay over they have somewhere to sleep.

Also the bigger the bed the better. Sure a single bed is okay up until you are a teenager. However a double bed is always going to be better.

I just upgraded to a king size John Ryan and wish I'd done it sooner. I couldn't go back to a double now.

I've got all my bedrooms occupied by my own kids, so guest space is limited.

I got a king size years back. It's still not big enough. It's ok if you're small, I guess.

Commissario
It helps if you aren't white though Asians tend to have much better relationships with their families. Whereas I have noticed British people literally see siblings and children as burdens to be shot off as soon as possible.
I've sus'd people for less, suggest you watch your posting please.

Caporegime
Having loads of bedrooms and having them all occupied by guests is my idea of the seventh circle of hell. :D

Yes! Mine too.

Wales is lovely.

I'm actually a bit peeved that work from home may be a thing just as I bought house in good commuter distance of town. (Cardiff, Newport, even Bristol) I want a decent sized house in the country.

But 5 bed is to big. Its too much cleaning.
I've a smallish 3 bed detached and it's a much work as I want to be fair. No kids and not planning on any. I think if each room was a little bigger that would be great.

Don't underestimate upkeep costs. And the bigger the house, more likely to go with junk!

My parents house (boomer gen) is absolutely massive. And absolutely filled with tat.
It's always got some mess and dirt because animals and its too much work to keep clean

The garden is also over an acre. Waaaay to much work! Seriously. Half my childhood felt like working in the garden!

Next house is going to depend on work from home potential. 1 day in the office? I'll move into a village somewhere. 5 days in the office.. I'll stick where I am

Id never go back to anything other than detached.

Caporegime
Hi all! I’m just after some advice.

is it best to buy a small house first time or invest in something substantial?
I can buy a 5 bed detached house for 250K or a 3 bed terrace house that’s not as desirable for 125K. I’m trying to deduce if it’s best to jump in deep end or start off small first time, investment/profit wise.

if you were me, single 28 year old with 60K in bank, what would you go for ?
I can provide links to property if interested.

cheers

I'd get the 5 bed tbh... you can get in a lodger or 4... maybe just start out with one first then build up and see how you like it, you'll perhaps be able to not only pay your mortgage as a result but also get a bit of profit on top... I mean by the time you complete we'll be close to getting a vaccine rolled out etc.. so perhaps move in, then once it is spring time and the pandemic has settled down etc.. then get in the lodgers.

It does look like 2 of the 5 bedrooms at the back are rather tiny mind...

If I did it all again I’d borrow as much as I could on interest only trackers.

I’ve spent a fortune chipping away at a tiny amount of mortgage and locking myself into rates that dropped soon after.

All from listening to the parents, pay off your mortgage, fix your rates etc etc

I've been on a tracker for nearly a decade now, though I'd not go with interest only, capital repayment is a good idea too (unless you're really disciplined and maintain some seperate investments that you absolutely won't touch/draw down* on for the duration of the mortgage)

*unless for some situation where you'd otherwise remortgage

Soldato
Im hoping the one good thing from this year will be the population and housing stock spreading out a bit more, that seems like a gamble worth taking imo. Unless you are married and wanting children or part of a large family, buying the large house is pretty speculative but if you can plan out the finance (and bank agrees) and you think its viable then its your choice. If you spend forever paying off the mortgage you will be buying the house twice over, one for you and one for the bank to keep.
Its too long to discuss but interest rates wont be silly low forever, aim to be overpaying is probably best as an initial stance then if rates go up and you are pushed you dont fall over.

Associate
Dang the size of their utility room is still bigger than my actual kitchen...and I rent :(

Also actually interested in OP's question. Almost bought somewhere for 170k in Jan, but pulled out due to covid. Have since managed to get a 5k wage increase so once I've got 6 months of new income to show, will be looking at places of a similar price bracket.

Back
Top Bottom