Help! Dead pc

Associate
Hi.
Just joined as I need a bit of help. Was in the process of removing my cpu fan when the cpu came out of the socket (AMD4) with the fan. Have removed the cpu from the fan and put Back into the socket but now the pc won't start up at all. Mb lights up but no chassis fans start when power button pressed. Any ideas? Have checked that the power pins are attached.

Soldato
The cpu came out with the fan? How on earth did the cpu lock become open...That must have either damaged the cpu or motherboard socket.

What socket was it? Because some socket locks dont just lock it, they actually push the cpu into place, so if the lock is damaged then there may be no connection at all even if the cpu is ok.

Either way follow the basic diagnostic rules...strip the machine, take everything out thats not essential, one stick of ram and see what happens.

I would double check that cpu aswell.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Done that it's an amd 4 socket. The locking arm was down, I just lifted the fan up and the cpu came with it. Had to pry the cpu off the fan as the thermal compound stuck it to it. Its an Asus strix x370-f. Is there a way to reset the mb?

Soldato
The board has a bios reset via jumper header (2 or 3 pin), if you dont have a jumper you can use a screwdriver to short.
Easiest way though is to take the battery out for a few hours.

Soldato
I'll try that. Gives me time to look at new mb and processor. How do I check if the processor is dead or mb for that matter.

No easy way without spares to swap in. Check the bottom of the CPU for bent or missing pins as you may have sheared some pulling it out. If there are any missing then maybe a sewing needle to try and pry them out of the socket.

Associate
OP
Can't see anything, unless they all sheared of nice and neatly. Unfortunately lack of AMD cpus is pushing me to the i7 10700k. Still a worthy upgrade from a ryzen 7 2700x.hope the Memory is still intact!

Back
Top Bottom