• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 6800 & 6800 XT MBA LAUNCH AT 2PM TODAY - EXTREMELY LIMITED STOCK!

Man of Honour
Nobody knows, OcUK have gone for the approach of not putting them on sale until the release hype has died and they have enough stock to sell so they can manage it better.

Pretty much same story everywhere - lots of places waiting for enough stock to make it worth enabling purchasing.

Caporegime
they are mostly automated anyway with sceleton crew
if we can have a cars factories why not a PC components ?
I don't think that's the case.

Look at Foxconn's mega factories in China. They have tens of thousand of employees on site, doing repetitive assembly jobs, for very low wages (compared to the West).

Fairly sure that's the case for most of these companies. Low wages, lots of cheap assembly labour. Very little automation outside the actual chips themselves.

Associate
Worse launch ever.
ball-face-hit-whoops-batshuayi-football-gif-12080239
MasculineCheeryHerald-size_restricted.gif

Associate
But then the only explanation is that TSMC have massively reduced capacity.

I suppose it could be the consoles launch causing it.

There was never going to be enough capacity for all 3. I suspect the Huawei situation may have further bu%%ered things - they will have been rushing to fulfil orders before the cut off date, impacting other customers. The slack won't be reigned in until probably Q2 next year.

Also bear in mind that CDNA and Zen 3 server / TR already started production some while ago, and take priority over desktop. New Cezanne & Lucienne chips will be in production by now too.

This is why I strongly suspect AMD will launch RDNA 3 and potentially Zen 4 (or an optical shrink of 3) ASAP. They have their own custom 5nm node which TSMC are pouring billions into. People claiming it'll be 18 months (many in tech press) are off their rockers. AMD need to make hay whilst the sun shines ... and they can't sell anywhere near as many of their top CPUs or GPUs, or rout Intel in laptops, if everything is on a finite supply of 7nm. As soon as that custom 5nm production line is ready, it'll be go time.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
The Twitter link was the last straw for me, that was beyond stupid or they wanted more visitors to the site, I guess we will never know.
It was an honest 'mistake'. The marketing guys were just doing their jobs, oblivious of the situation unfolding on the website.

For launches like this they are essentially under contract with the vendor to do certain activities in return for regular MDF payments, game promotions and launch allocations. Of course, we have the ability to veto anything that we don't think is reasonable (as shown with the AIB launch). But last week we they no reason to give the standard social posts a second thought.

We're all on lockdown, working from home, so they were more 'disconnected' than usual.

Associate
So undervolting can improve performance? I've never done any GPU overclocking. On CPUs, you normally need more voltage to run faster. But undervolting can help get more performance on a GPU? Is that because of the power limits?

Back
Top Bottom