£1k TV Question

Soldato
hola all - i know i can have a gander on the likes of rtings (which i've done) but i usually also like to ask for personal recommendations......
so with max £1k to spend on a tv what would you learned people suggest i be looking at?

i'd ideally like;

55 (or bigger if possible) sitting about 8 - 10 foot away from tv
tv and film only
OLED probably ain't gonna work for me, 2 small kids and a wife who pause tv and leave for hours through the day....a lot!

i've looked a lot at the samsung Q80T as it seems to be highly rated but open to any other suggestions.

Associate
I just came in here with that budget in mind and was looking at the XH95 as well. Toying with the OLED (A8H) but not sure if I should stretch the budget to accommodate. Awkward position where I'd like to see them side by side, but can't until after the BF deals likely end!

Soldato
OP
If it helps, i've decided to go for the Sony XH95 @ £999. Looks to be one of the best at this price point.
always helps to have to have another option to consider.
I just came in here with that budget in mind and was looking at the XH95 as well. Toying with the OLED (A8H) but not sure if I should stretch the budget to accommodate. Awkward position where I'd like to see them side by side, but can't until after the BF deals likely end!
I'd love to go oled but i just know it's not practical with the wife and kids tv habits!

Associate
always helps to have to have another option to consider.

I'd love to go oled but i just know it's not practical with the wife and kids tv habits!

Not sure if I helps but I have the LG oled from a couple of years back and it has a screensaver for whenever I leave something paused for a while.

There are also refresh routines that run on the display when it's on standby. Not sure if the later ones are even cleverer in this regard.

Associate
For sure, from all the reading I did, I think there's a lot in place to help OP out with burn in - also worth mentioning, although it costs an extra £140, John Lewis have an additional gurantee that specifically lists covering burn in at no extra cost. It does mean budget goes from £1k to £1439, which is a significant jump.

Soldato
OP
I've ended up playing it safe and going for the XH95 rather than the OLED for now, I'll let you know what it's like once it gets here :)
please do, i'm torn between it and the Q85T from Samsung
Shame as the tx-55hz980b is a cracking tv got one coming soon.Mine leave it on\idle as well but i think oled's have things in place now to protect static images these days.
mr essex! long time no speak :cool: much as i don't doubt you are correct i just don't trust my lot.....if summat can be broke, they'll break it!! i have also decided i'm sticking hard and fast to the 1k max budget.....gots me a new motherboard and gpu i wanna grab too in the not to distant future and with having just bought a new house i really should behave myself spending wise or she'll have my danglers in a glass at the side of the bed!! :p
For sure, from all the reading I did, I think there's a lot in place to help OP out with burn in - also worth mentioning, although it costs an extra £140, John Lewis have an additional gurantee that specifically lists covering burn in at no extra cost. It does mean budget goes from £1k to £1439, which is a significant jump.
as above really, as much as i'd love an oled, 1k is a strict budget and with my wilfully destructive kids they find a way to overcome any 'anti' burn-in measures lol

but cheers for the input :)

Soldato
nice, thoughts?

Impressive performance for non-OLED.

The stand is wobbly and pretty rubbish.

There’s a bug where the yellow-ish LED on the front that signifies the microphone is in use, gets stuck on now and then. Changing the time format from 24 to 12 and back to to 24 will turn it off temporarily until the TV is turned off and on again. Widespread issue, likely to be fixed soon.

Need to take your time with the settings to see what works for your preference, mainly where motion is concerned.

Lack of HDMI 2.1 was odd, but I don’t have any plans to really game much on it so not a problem.

Associate
Impressive performance for non-OLED.

The stand is wobbly and pretty rubbish.

There’s a bug where the yellow-ish LED on the front that signifies the microphone is in use, gets stuck on now and then. Changing the time format from 24 to 12 and back to to 24 will turn it off temporarily until the TV is turned off and on again. Widespread issue, likely to be fixed soon.

Need to take your time with the settings to see what works for your preference, mainly where motion is concerned.

Lack of HDMI 2.1 was odd, but I don’t have any plans to really game much on it so not a problem.

Can confirm the Sony XH95 has been great for me so far as well. Went straight on a bracket so I didn't bother with the feet, and even by just switching between the picture modes it's worlds apart from the last one we had from 2015.

We're also having the little LED stick on as well, hopefully that does get sorted soon as it somewhat ruins the effect of watching a film in the dark, makes it look like a one-eyed Jawa is staring at me all the time. It's been the only niggle so far, and even that could be remedied with a little square of black tape if need be. Do recommend!

Soldato
Update: Loving the XH95. F1 in UHD yesterday was great and Netflix In DV was impressive.

I'm impressed with the brightness and contrast.

So glad I went for the 55" over the 49". It soon disappears when you put it on the wall.

Soldato
OP
well i have to say i think i'm sold on the XH95 going by the responses in here :D many thanks gents.
Get the Sony if it's for TV and film

If gaming get the Samsung Q80T

Or if you want to go big get the Samsung tu8000

You can get 75 inch iirc for like a grand.
no, no gaming.

much as i'd like more than 55" i think i'd prefer the superior image quality over size and i assume that will be from the XH95 but cheers for the suggestion all the same.

Caporegime
well i have to say i think i'm sold on the XH95 going by the responses in here :D many thanks gents.

no, no gaming.

much as i'd like more than 55" i think i'd prefer the superior image quality over size and i assume that will be from the XH95 but cheers for the suggestion all the same.

It depends on what you are used to.

If all you have had is crap panels then the tu8000 is going to look amazing especially more so at 75 inches.

If however you are used to plasmas of the past then only a decent FALD or oled will do. Unless you have gotten over the fact the difference between a good TV and a top TV isn't that big unless the top TV is an oled.

Back
Top Bottom