• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any Merit To Buying An "Interim" CPU?

Soldato
I had a 3600 for a week before shifting it on and buying a 5800X on an auction website. Paid £100 more but got it next day instead of next year!

Associate
I bought a 3200G from eBay to test all my Mobo/Memory/NVMe etc whilst waiting for the 5800X but as i've only moved 4 places up in the last few weeks I may just bite the bullet and get a 3700 or something today. Can at least build the PC and swap out the CPU when/if it arrives...

Soldato
OP
I had a 3600 for a week before shifting it on and buying a 5800X on an auction website. Paid £100 more but got it next day instead of next year!

I'm not sure I could face taking that kind of hit. I'm thinking about it but it may hurt too much...

Soldato
I'm not sure I could face taking that kind of hit. I'm thinking about it but it may hurt too much...
I had already wasted too much of my time calling competitors for updates, checking website updates and going to retail stores standing outside for 30 minutes (x3) Not to mention checking multiple websites and an auction website for any deals on 5900X or 5800X.
Easier to bite the bullet. £550 with next day tracked delivery seemed ok. Obviously more than RRP but the seller/scalper would only stand to make £20-£30 after fees and postage

Man of Honour
I bought a 3200G from eBay to test all my Mobo/Memory/NVMe etc whilst waiting for the 5800X but as i've only moved 4 places up in the last few weeks I may just bite the bullet and get a 3700 or something today. Can at least build the PC and swap out the CPU when/if it arrives...

3200g is not supported on b550 x570 motherboards but it mite work.

Soldato
I had to do the same. I managed to get an order in for the 5600x at around 3pm from another retailer on launch day, showing in stock at the time.
Almost a month later and I still don't have it. Glad I made the choice a few days after my 5600x order to get an interim 3600 (£165), else all my components would be sitting in a box.

Soldato
I had already wasted too much of my time calling competitors for updates, checking website updates and going to retail stores standing outside for 30 minutes (x3) Not to mention checking multiple websites and an auction website for any deals on 5900X or 5800X.
Easier to bite the bullet. £550 with next day tracked delivery seemed ok. Obviously more than RRP but the seller/scalper would only stand to make £20-£30 after fees and postage
you went and queued for an indian dish :D

Soldato
OP

You make a good point. Time is valuable and if you "charge" yourself an hourly rate for time wasted it's easier to justify paying higher prices to waste less time.
I either need to stop looking or pay the inflated prices. I just don't want to encourage the scalpers.. Hmmm

Associate
Just bought a 5700xt new £380 so with that and a 3600 they should tied me over till a ti version of a 3080 is available next year.
Not to bad as the next few months will be spent on the ps5 anyway.

Associate
Good afternoon :)

I really really want a 5000 series Ryzen CPU for my new build, however I am fully aware that stock is limited at best.

I have read elsewhere on this forum that some have opted to purchase an older Ryzen CPU to fill the gap between now and a time when the 5000 series are more readily available. I like the idea and would be happy to make a few quid loss (max £50 say?) to get my new PC up and running.

I am only building my PC for Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD, with a bit of scope for some slightly more demanding programs should my work require it. I have been tempted to go top of the range with everything and max out, but after some thinking and reasoning that I don't seem likely to use multiple cores, I'll probably settle for the 5600X.

I have the MSI X570 Tomahawk. Can anyone advise on a decent but reasonably priced (so I will make minimal loss) CPU that would see me right until I can buy a 5600X? I understand I will need a cooler so if that would suit both there's a bonus. I could be reasoned into purchasing a used CPU if it's a sensible avenue.

You can pick up a Ryzen 3 3100 for £95 quid. Works on the oldest bios for the X570i and is fine as a gap filler.

Soldato
You make a good point. Time is valuable and if you "charge" yourself an hourly rate for time wasted it's easier to justify paying higher prices to waste less time.
I either need to stop looking or pay the inflated prices. I just don't want to encourage the scalpers.. Hmmm
Exactly. Based on my hourly rate I probably wasted over £200 farting around waiting for stock, emails, calls, walking to places and standing around (in the rain twice)

I'll let the scalpers do the dirty work again next time whilst I do a 2 or 3 hours overtime at double rate :D

Soldato
OP
I have just passed on the opportunity to bag a 5600X for £340. I just can't face being ripped off that much when AMD list it for £270 on their site. I have likely already wasted the difference in my hourly rate but it still doesn't feel right.

3600 here I come....

Soldato
I have just passed on the opportunity to bag a 5600X for £340. I just can't face being ripped off that much when AMD list it for £270 on their site. I have likely already wasted the difference in my hourly rate but it still doesn't feel right.

3600 here I come....
3600 is a good chip. For ~£550 you can pick up a 5800X

Soldato
OP
It appears I have just successfully purchased a 5800X somewhere it was showing in stock. I will find out if this is all real tomorrow hopefully.
Now to find a GPU.

Back
Top Bottom