• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
I think you are comparing with rose tinted glasses. In a normal year the Nvidia launch was bleepin awful the worst ever IMHO. The only truth is AMD's 6000 series was worse ! :)

Compare people who have ordered a 3080, there money has been taken and still have not got the card weeks after launch to 6000 series cards you cant buy but at least you still have your money. :D

Then ask the 3080 people are they happy ?

44th in queue for the ASUS 3080 TUF OC (£720), ~70 due in. I'm very happy :D:D:D

Just got my email, Your Order has been packed and is in the process of being shipped.

Last edited:
Soldato
More AMD love.

OC versus OC - 3080 Custom vs 6800XT Custom vs 3090 Custom in SOTR 1440p.

3080 Customs OC

mVHnMrr.jpg

6800XT Custom OC

xNNUGR3.jpg

3090 Custom OC

zu3o49D.jpg
To save you doing a calculation, the math's suggest that AMD need to move performance up 14-15% from the 6800XT Red Devil to beat pretty much anything out there however, the 6800XT Red Devil performance against the 3080 customs is totally epic - good job Powercolor, from nasty little 3rd party nobody want's to buy to a front runner in under 5 years.

Pet Northerner
Don
My bad, still relative though, it highlights that either the 3080 is in a similar ballpark to the 6800XT power usage wise, or the 3080 causes the whole system to use less power (unlikely)

looking at that graph if we compare stock W the 3080 is about 35W more power hungry than the stock 6800XT. Not too bad, all in all.

The thing about those graphs is they skew a little away from real life usage a bit. My 6800XT pulls on average less power than my Vega64 purely because to hit the 75hz limit of my monitor it doesn;t need to go past about 75% usage, where the V64 was always at 100% to hit 60fps (if that).

The above would hold true for both brands, just pointing out my own case use.

Soldato
looking at that graph if we compare stock W the 3080 is about 35W more power hungry than the stock 6800XT. Not too bad, all in all.

The thing about those graphs is they skew a little away from real life usage a bit. My 6800XT pulls on average less power than my Vega64 purely because to hit the 75hz limit of my monitor it doesn;t need to go past about 75% usage, where the V64 was always at 100% to hit 60fps (if that).

The above would hold true for both brands, just pointing out my own case use.

Have you overclocked the 6800xt? As that chart would confirm the Vega 64 is more power hungry than 6800XT.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

My bad, still relative though, it highlights that either the 3080 is in a similar ballpark to the 6800XT power usage wise, or the 3080 causes the whole system to use less power (unlikely)

Yes, they are both fairly close - there is around a 10% gap between the 6800xt and 3080 (in the 6800xt's favour) inc when both cards or OC'd.

Associate
Unfortunately it's not far away from as high as these cards can go, its pretty obvious that water cooling is a waste of money on big navi.

Cards are doing 2700 on air right, well it's confirmed AMD only allows up to 2800mhz - thats the absolute maximum allowed in the BIOS, you'd have to hack it and make your own BIOS if you want the card to go any faster.

So what you're seeing is that on air it's getting about the same performance that you'd see on water and LN2 performance would only be a little better.

If you can unlock the frequency somehow and unlock the power limit to 500w, then put it under water then maybe we can see 3000mhz - but for now 2800mhz and 350w is the max, well actually 2700mhz is the max since 350w is too little

Quick shunt mod, some water cooling and 3k?

Associate
There is a 3rd place for a power slot on the PCB so we might see even more power hungry videocards with RDNA2 in the future. Probably custom 6900's.

Associate
There is a 3rd place for a power slot on the PCB so we might see even more power hungry videocards with RDNA2 in the future. Probably custom 6900's.

Yes it would be a fantastic offering from AMD, like the Kingpin 3090. I cant contain my excitement to check out future reviews of the real Kingpin 6900.
I am also equally excited about all the slick pictures that would go up during the unveil. Eagerly looking forward to all those overclocking competitions on youtube.
RDNA2 is truly a new chapter for AMD, they will only achieve unattainable heights from hereon.

Associate
It’s the AMD driver that’s doing the work this time, hardware mods won’t do it.
Well that's a bit poop! Sure some clever people will find a way! The overclocking the 6800xt looks really promising as is, and the inevitable (next year Tm!) 6900XT will give Nvidia a real run for its money! (he says having just bought a 3090).

Soldato
The 6800xt will be stuck at 1080p as it has the performance of the 2080 ti in RT and no DLSS. There is not that many full DX12u games made. Also because DLSS 2.1 is so good quality wise reviews state the extra performance of DLSS should be counted against the native render at 4k. Why is this a big issue? Because in every game with DLSS, AMD cant match NVidia on performance. This is why AMD are rushing to bring out their DLSS called super resolution which MS is working on. So if AMD is going to use it, then of course it should be counted. Its not anyones fault AMD are late to the party.

By the time upscaling tech/RT matters we won't be using using 6xxx series cards. DLSS is hardly in any games, and RT is hardly in any games. NVIDIA are ALREADY pushing DLSS perf mode which looks like trash as soon as you move for example.

4K gaming didn't become the standard overnight. This is an intentional marketing campaign.

Now, here's the reality check. If you bought a 6xxx series card, then you aren't really that fussed about upscaling or RT, so won't be "stuck" at 1080p like you are claiming.

Associate
4k gaming@60hz for the majority.
It's a starting point, the wait on high refresh good quality 4k gaming displays is an ongoing thing. Until high refresh displays at 4k become more affordable I'm sticking to my 2 1440p 165hz displays. I'm also one that just bought a 3090, Ray Tracing is a feature, it's not going to make a game that you want to play unenjoyable if you have it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom