• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 6800 & 6800 XT MBA LAUNCH AT 2PM TODAY - EXTREMELY LIMITED STOCK!

Soldato
I'd argue that PC gaming is in a great place, probably the healthiest it's been.

Absolute madness. It's never been worse.

Hugely over inflated hardware pricing, disgusting price gouging, zero stock anywhere, boring monitors and very average games all year round.

Now has never been a better time to chin PC gaming off, Series X and PS5 are to good in comparison to how expensive PC Hardware and gaming on that platform has become.

Associate
Friend of mine who imports...
''Nearing impossible to get shipments out of China now. Charging £5000 a container (norm is £1800). If you are thinking of buying something, do it on Black Friday… as prices will be going up across the board until well after the summer months.''

''It’s not just the cost it’s that they are flat out refusing to ship to the Uk due to how long it takes to get the container back to China.''

Agree with GhostDog, It could be a while before cost come down.

Soldato
''Nearing impossible to get shipments out of China now. Charging £5000 a container (norm is £1800). If you are thinking of buying something, do it on Black Friday… as prices will be going up across the board until well after the summer months.''

''It’s not just the cost it’s that they are flat out refusing to ship to the Uk due to how long it takes to get the container back to China.''

A shipping container could easily contain 10,000 pieces of a GPU. That works out to only an extra 32p per unit. Why is this a problem?

Associate
Don't just blame AIB's for higher prices. Also have to ask if the MSRP is realistic enough for AIB partners and retailers to meet in first place.

At the end no one can force you to buy if you think the price is not reasonable.

Associate
Unless I see a 3080 or 6800xt pop up around 700 quid for a non dog **** version, then I'll simply wait or just not bother. My 2070s can just about cope with the games I play at the resolution and refresh rate I'm targeting. Just means I have to drop a few settings down.

Associate
heard about the shipping container thing from a MTB industry importer friend - its gone nuts so all 2021 MTB purchases are going to go up in cost by a large chunk
For airfreight TNT and FedEx have imposed 50KG per day per account so we have split a 250KG shipment from China in to 5 over 5 days. We have another 500KG shipment next week which they will take but have added another 50% per KG on top of the price increase from the first lockdown.

Associate
They say exactly the same negatives for the Nitro+

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-6800-xt-nitro-plus/39.html

None of these cards are worth the £200 premium over the reference model. As I said before, the benchmark has been set with the reference model at £600. That is what I want.

Same with the 3080 FE. That is the price we should be paying.

And in both cases you can't get reference cards, as they were just bait&switch more than anything else. Hence, MSRP is nowhere to be seen and likely won't be till many months later, if ever. Might drop there only when next gen comes, for all we know.

OcUK Staff
OP
For airfreight TNT and FedEx have imposed 50KG per day per account so we have split a 250KG shipment from China in to 5 over 5 days. We have another 500KG shipment next week which they will take but have added another 50% per KG on top of the price increase from the first lockdown.

We are experiencing similar with stuff as well, our Taiwan office books flights and containers to get product shipped over to us and this month has being hard, thankfully all our big stuff that is none price volatile we sorted months ago and paid for extra storage capacity here in the UK as we expected this November to be bad, it happens every year but this year it is even worse.

End of the day all we can all do is our best and a lot of people are going to have to learn to be patient.

Associate
What people don't understand is if you want to maximise your time with these new cards and enjoy high FPS gaming, you have to be prepared to pay the premium for buying a graphics card during the middle of a Global Pandemic. If not then stick with your existing graphics card and adjust expectations.

I know someone who is selling 3 PS5s for £600 each and people are buying them!- the cost of lack of supply is raised prices.

Trouble is with the pandemic nobody really knows if prices will ever get back to MSRP - even after vaccine they need to have less people on production line so less productivity and less graphics cards made = prices stay high

Sorry for the rant

This has little to do with pandemic or supply issues. If you look back in time, this is what always happened with every single new GPU being released for both AMD and NVidia - lack of supply and overblown prices by AIB. Though, back in the days reference designs had bad coolers, yet now they have very good ones. Yet it's impossible to buy one from either vendor. Also, supply usually normalised after 1-2 months in the past, yet for NVidia it's still bad after all that time since release. Hence, this time we'll have to wait longer, if not much longer, for any more normal prices to come. Pandemic will be just a nice excuses for AIBs to scalp us for as long as they can, I reckon.

Associate
A shipping container could easily contain 10,000 pieces of a GPU. That works out to only an extra 32p per unit. Why is this a problem?

I reckon the real problem is the latter part, which is that they flat out refuse to ship things to UK. If you haven't read that far before you answered... And so then we have airfreight only, which is much more expensive and much smaller, as per higher post by OC peeps.

Soldato
What's this fantasy maths that starts with having 10,000 gpus to ship :p

Everyone is putting in fat orders and getting nothing more than an end of **** dribble.

Associate
I reckon the real problem is the latter part, which is that they flat out refuse to ship things to UK. If you haven't read that far before you answered... And so then we have airfreight only, which is much more expensive and much smaller, as per higher post by OC peeps.

Agree, if they Flat out refuse, then its a problem, which has a knock on effect.

Soldato

Well without being in the business obviously im speculating here, but if they won't ship for £5000, maybe they'll ship for £10,000, or £15,000? On a 10,000 piece shipment, that still is only an extra couple of quid per unit.

Associate

i also work in shipping and china is currently causing me sleepless nights. We are owned by a haulage company who are clueless as to why my rates have currently gone from $2500 to $6500 per container, trying to explain it to them is like trying to understand mandarin.

Back
Top Bottom