* The Metal Thread *

Associate
does anyone like Placebo? not metal but they are quite heavy live. would love to have been here. only seen them once like 20 years ago. their last album is fantastic 'loud like love'

Yes, in my opinion they are just about the finest band of the past quarter century. Such a strong catalogue of work, and Sleeping With Ghosts would be in a list of my top 10 albums.

Associate
Any good ones to watch on twitch? I've watched one called "moshtalks" but the guy is a bit annoying and is in to really heavy and brutal stuff. I'm more into melodic stuff like Sabaton, Nightwish, Iron Maiden ect.

The ones I mostly hang with on Twitch are mostly into the death,black,metalcore scenes but are mostly streaming games or chatting. They are quite small streamers (most of them don't get more than 20-25 viewers) but you get more interaction from them though, and they have a pretty wide knowledge of the scene too. A couple of them works as tour managers for various bands too in both Europe and the US so it's quite interesting to hear their stories.
One of them also have regular interviews with various bands. I've also been watching a bit of Herman Li from Dragonforce and Cristina Scabbiati from Lacuna Coil but they got pretty big communities so don't get that much interaction from them. There is quite a few "amateurs" doing music streams that play the melodic sides of metal though.
I've come across several guys from Tesseract that are on stream, all of the guys in Trivium streams as well, there is a girl called Noelle Santos that streams and mostly does Metallica stuff but she is good to watch.

Soldato
does anyone like Placebo? not metal but they are quite heavy live. would love to have been here. only seen them once like 20 years ago. their last album is fantastic 'loud like love'
Yes! Nancy Boy (whilst not metal at all) is one of my all time faves. Really need to check out more of their stuff

Soldato
Out of interest how does everyone keep in the loop regarding new music and such? Do people use spotify etc? I struggle to keep on top of bands that have released new stuff, new bands etc. Spotify was okay for it but there was so much that annoyed me with it but I am proper anal about my music collection, play counts are a biggy for me!
Invisible oranges and angry metal guy are probably my main source of new stuff. Don’t really agree with a lot of their scores (especially AMG) but they are great for highlighting new stuff

Soldato
Out of interest how does everyone keep in the loop regarding new music and such? Do people use spotify etc?

My mate, he almost lives on Spotify (probably 8hrs+ a day) and he drops me individual tracks or bands to listen to. We've both got mostly similar musical tastes so 9 time out of 10 I like wheat he recommends. Case in point he recommended this below, it's musically similar to Sabbath mixed with some Stoner aspects with a Dio vocal style - similar to Kyuss/Spiritual Beggars etc.

Associate
The funny thing with Floor for me is that I knew about her from her previous band (After Forever) but never actually listened to them and not heard anything with her until she joined Nightwish, but she got me hooked after the first song/video released with them (Ghost Love Score from Buenos Aires)... I think I played that song at least 15 times in a row....

Man of Honour
does anyone like "Unleash The Archers" ?

Belated reply to this, but I got into them a few months ago after YouTube kept pushing Awakening at me. The first album is dull, the second wakes up, the third and fourth are great, and the fifth sounds dangerously like Amaranthe with all the harmonies. (Edit: turns out to be the same producer.) I like it, but it's a fair change in direction. Hayes started off as a female Bruce Dickenson, but has learned a bigger range and more styles. And the drummer is great fun.

Also I agree with whoever said that video is possibly the most metal thing of the decade. Someone has spent way too much time playing Skyrim.

Last edited:
Soldato
Someone might have posted this already, but first time listening to this properly.

I dismissed it at first but now I think it's quite good.

Not a big fan of black metal or the vocals but the over all vibe of the album is definitely unique:

Associate
Still love listening to Wintersun. Always amazes me the lead (jari?) lost a part of one of his lungs to Tuberculosis and can still pump out the vocals.

Those songs are absolutely brilliant. Really hope they get a full length album released soon. I missed them at Wacken last year and when they played in UK last time as I had something else booked in the same night..

Back
Top Bottom