Tell me about the BMW X1

Man of Honour
What items of spec do you need that you are finding it hard to find?

The only difficult one that springs to mind with BMW spec that's a total pain to find used is adaptive cruise.

Associate
OP
Vehicle BMW F48 X1 sDrive20i M Sport B48 2.0i LCI Chassis
X1MB F48 X1 sDrive20i M Sport B48 2.0i LCI
C1D Misano Blue metallic
PDSW Black Dakota leather w/ perforation

Options
ZT1 Technology Pack 1
3AG Reversing Assist camera
552 BMW Icon Adaptive LED Headlights
6NW Enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging
1RZ 18 M light alloy wheels, double-spoke style
223 Adaptive Suspension
2VC Mobility kit
420 Sun protection glass
674 Harman Kardon

This is what I have specced up with BMW, that basically is at the brink of 40k.. so there is very little wiggle room. So its hard to find that colour with those options as people either seem to burst the 40k or sit not far off the basic spec model. Especially where I am, I wont travel half the country to get one, so its sort of Dorset/Hampshire really.

Soldato
Vehicle BMW F48 X1 sDrive20i M Sport B48 2.0i LCI Chassis
X1MB F48 X1 sDrive20i M Sport B48 2.0i LCI
C1D Misano Blue metallic
PDSW Black Dakota leather w/ perforation

Options
ZT1 Technology Pack 1
3AG Reversing Assist camera
552 BMW Icon Adaptive LED Headlights
6NW Enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging
1RZ 18 M light alloy wheels, double-spoke style
223 Adaptive Suspension
2VC Mobility kit
420 Sun protection glass
674 Harman Kardon

This is what I have specced up with BMW, that basically is at the brink of 40k.. so there is very little wiggle room. So its hard to find that colour with those options as people either seem to burst the 40k or sit not far off the basic spec model. Especially where I am, I wont travel half the country to get one, so its sort of Dorset/Hampshire really.
Why wouldn't you travel half the country if it saves you thousands of pounds?

Man of Honour
, I wont travel half the country to get one, so its sort of Dorset/Hampshire really.

Why? You're buying cars a matter of months old from approved dealers. I once bought a 5 Series approved used from Scotland, negotiated entirely by telephone despite living 500 miles away. It was then maintained by my local dealer.

You're spending 40 grand, why are you so focused on very trivial elements like the road tax and the distance to the dealer?

I wouldn't travel for a 5k car from an independent, but a nearly new approved used?

Associate
Have you tried Carwow? Spec the car exactly as you want and then sit back and wait for offers. The dealers also do deals on finance, etc. They will often also deliver to your house. Try it and see how you get on. I have used it several times now with great success.

Man of Honour
Don't really know much about the X1 but I looked at the Tiguan and X3 before buying my pickup and have a bit of experience with the Tiguan and if I was spending that kind of money I think I'd be taking a long hard look at the new Tiguan R (yes it is a lot of money for a VW and not the most exciting vehicle but it doesn't look hideous like so many vehicles in this segment and overall has a fairly balanced feel to the package).

Associate
OP
I am on Carwow and for that BMW I can get it for 240 a month, thats not bad imo. I expect it can be tweaked lower, but still its not a bad starting point.

I know its 40k but I look at it as 240 a month, im not handing out 40 grand cash, so my mindset is probably focused on that. I want it to be smooth and easy, go somewhere, see the car I like and have it. Not deal with phone calls and hope that a car is nice if it arrives etc. Ill never travel miles to see a car and test it, im just not that way inclined. Id take the financial hit (its not going to be massive monthly) to have the convenience, but again I dont think many used options would come as I want and/or a lot cheaper per month anyway.

Ill see, im not 100% on the BMW atm, I have Tiguan and XC40 quotes coming in but like I say i need to see them all first, let alone test one. I am convinced the X1 is too small tbh, sadly as I like the look of it in the blue.

Man of Honour
I know its 40k but I look at it as 240 a month, im not handing out 40 grand cash

This is a very short sighted and dangerous mindset to have and will result you spending a massive amount of money.

You talk of taking financial hits for convenience, which is often a valid choice, but then you get so terrified of an extra 300 quid a year road tax that you'll compromise on specification in order to get under the 40k threshold. It's contradictory - either you're in the world of £40k cars or you're not?

This car is going to cost you a lot more than £240 a month and you are in danger of not realising this whilst you continue to focus only on part of the picture.

It is particularly concerning that you think this car is only £240 a month. It isn't, it is much more. You are paying for the depreciation on this car over the next 3-4 years and it's going to be a significant sum.

It is of course your money to do with as you please and I don't want to come across as being harsh but I do think this needs more thought as you're missing key information.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
They probably do.

Basically if I can get a car for 240 a month, 12 quid or so for tax a month, then that seems ideal to me. If I can get a 45 grand car for 200 a month, then id happily pay the 40 quid a month for tax as id not be losing out. But a 45 grand car will be what 300+ a month, plus tax, so im an extra 100 quid out of pocket.

If I can get something I spec up used, then ill give it a go, but no dealer can offer than to me as far as I can tell. I get given other options like the Tiguan I was looking at, came with a Tow Bar and something else like a bike rack... i dont need that, but it bumps the price.

I know I have a lot to learn and my approach is probably alien to many, but ive spent some money on crud used cars and im just sick of it. Hence why I like new as you get a bit more piece of mind with it, not saying its perfect but its there.

I suppose post lockdown it will be a bit easier, I want to get in before Brexit bites as well ideally.

Man of Honour
Basically if I can get a car for 240 a month, 12 quid or so for tax a month, then that seems ideal to me

But you can't. You think you can, but the reality is you cannot buy a brand new £40,000 car for £240 a month. You have quite fundamentally misunderstood something about how the agreement works.

I suspect you've not noticed the significant deposit you must pay up front which you should then amortise across the duration of the agreement to give a true monthly cost.

Otherwise it's like saying you can buy a brand new Porsche 911 Turbo for £10 a month (provided you ignore the £150k deposit).

Associate
OP
But you can't. You think you can, but the reality is you cannot buy a brand new £40,000 car for £240 a month. You have quite fundamentally misunderstood something about how the agreement works.

Yeah I understand that im sat on a back end payment, but I can flip it back in then and go again, or pay it off. But short term the initial outlay is 240 for example.

Man of Honour
To be fair lot of places at the moment doing very low initial deposit and 60m term at just under £300/m on some nice cars with a massive balloon payment.

Back
Top Bottom