• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X470 and B450 motherboards to get Smart Access Memory

Soldato
Oh AMD, you should have maybe anounced older gen support during big Navi fanfare.

If I knew X470 was getting SAM support, I wouldnt have been so quick getting a 3070!
They probably changed their mind once people start moaning and Nvidia quickly stepped up to try and be the good guy.

One thing that isn't clarified is does this work with Ryzen 3000 CPUs on 400 series chipsets or do you still need a Ryzen 5000 CPU.

Soldato
Soldato
For Nvidia also ? (Yes Nvidia will support SAM at some point - in case anyone tells me it can't be done with Nvidia) Soz can't read link blocked where I am.

Wonder if the performance uplift will be worth be upgrading from B350 to something to take advantage of SAM.

Associate
Good that it is supported as there isn't a hardware reason for it not to be. What would be more interesting is if it was also enabled for 3000 and 2000 series processors, again there isn't an obvious hardware reason for this not to be possible, seeing as the part of the PCIe spec that makes this possible in its current state was introduced with PCIe 3.0 (also version existed in 2.0).

Soldato
For Nvidia also ? (Yes Nvidia will support SAM at some point - in case anyone tells me it can't be done with Nvidia) Soz can't read link blocked where I am.

Wonder if the performance uplift will be worth be upgrading from B350 to something to take advantage of SAM.
It doesn't say, but considering it specifically states SAM which is an AMD product name it is safe to assume it is only talking about RDNA 2

Back
Top Bottom