• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Games also just don’t work in that way, they are not highly parallel repetitive workloads like video editing. You’ll never see a game maxing out all 8 cores in the way rendering does.

Games are much more as-hoc and have ‘spikes’ loads that peak and trough all over the place as the action changes.

Soldato
Think this is from anandtech but don't quote me

5950X: 6.12 Watt/Core

5900X: 7.85 Watt/Core

5800X: 14.55 Watt/Core

5600X: 10.20 Watt/Core

The 5950x will also consume 14 watts limited to 8 cores as well...

Edit - TDP budget is the reason.

Last edited:
Soldato
A while back, I said that the pricing would be justified if each price point outperformed last gen's offering at the same price point.

I look at price points and performance rather than getting lost in details like cores and clocks.

What's the price? What's the performance?

Had the $300 Zen 3 chip outperformed the $300 Zen 2 chip in all metrics, we really wouldn't have a legitimate gripe against AMD. However, after years of trailing Intel in games and touting multi-core performance, AMD is offering less multi core performance for the money than last gen and touting gaming performance.

I'm happy AMD took the last bit of territory from Intel, but if they start overcharging like Intel, there's not much to celebrate.

Caporegime
Games also just don’t work in that way, they are not highly parallel repetitive workloads like video editing. You’ll never see a game maxing out all 8 cores in the way rendering does.

Games are much more as-hoc and have ‘spikes’ loads that peak and trough all over the place as the action changes.
Yes, this too... the load during a game even when spread across multiple cores is generally low. Not to mention many CPU-intensive games that use turn-based systems can only use one core at a time due to the sequential way they process the game computations.

Most modern games like FPS etc that are graphically demanding are NOT very CPU intensive. Joxeon just doesn't get how this all works and simply thinks "more cores are better" as a blanket assumption.

Associate
A while back, I said that the pricing would be justified if each price point outperformed last gen's offering at the same price point.

I look at price points and performance rather than getting lost in details like cores and clocks.

Had the $300 Zen 3 chip outperformed the $300 Zen 2 chip in all metrics, we really wouldn't have a legitimate gripe against AMD. However, after years of trailing Intel in games and touting multi-core performance, AMD is offering less multi core performance for the money than last gen and touting gaming performance.

I'm happy AMD took the last bit of territory from Intel, but if they start overcharging like Intel, there's not much to celebrate.

Ordered a 5600x today so 4 weeks to go then before it arrives or so.
Price can be set by demand and supply a bit, while the price hike haven't happen here like with gpu cards amd been resonable and its not likely to change much.
They added $50, removed the cooler that is a big deal of difference right there.
Intel charged $1700 for 10 cores 5 years ago and amd $800 for 16 cores and faster :D
16 years or so ago intel released a cpu at $700 and it dropped to $320 after 6 months due to amd.

I would say todays 320 euro for a 6 core cpu is cheap all things considered.
new node 7nm more expensive vs 12nm etc...even while one can fit more transistors into the chip.

I personally would say amd haven't done anything really to do a Intel crap decision yet

G J

G J

Associate

Agreee and another point AMD sell a 6 core now for £300 when a 8700K sold for around £350 3-4 years ago and people are saying the 5600X is good value. :confused:

Caporegime
the problem is all the amd fan boys been waiting for 15 years for their triumphant return so will pay any price :p

maybe once stock is decent we will get decent prices or proper prices. the thing is by the time this happens intel will probably have something faster with stock you can just drop in and works. :D

Associate
So it is good value then as it's £50 cheaper a better across the board? :confused:
6 core equivalent now is 10600K, think it can be had cheaper than 5600X.

5600X is good value for a top-tier gaming CPU. Reliably beating 10600K, trading blows with more expensive 10700K

Soldato
6 core equivalent now is 10600K, think it can be had cheaper than 5600X.

5600X is good value for a top-tier gaming CPU. Reliably beating 10600K, trading blows with more expensive 10700K

Yeah 10600k can be had for £220 easy and for the £60 difference (£280 was RRP) it does make it rather expensive for that particular chip. At £250 I don't think many questions would have been asked but £220 would have been excellent then.

Soldato
the problem is all the amd fan boys been waiting for 15 years for their triumphant return so will pay any price :p

maybe once stock is decent we will get decent prices or proper prices. the thing is by the time this happens intel will probably have something faster with stock you can just drop in and works. :D

I plan on getting a zen 3 chip once they are "old news". Maybe Summer time when people start getting hyped about zen4 leaks.

Associate
in case anyone is interested the 5950 is available for pre order at a forest near you!!! gutted i havent got the fund for it, and prob should get the 5900 instead, or just keep my trusty 3600! who knows

ooof sorry too late it went,

Associate
hyped about zen4 leaks.
Hype about Zen 3 (around the time when 3950X was just getting over release supply problems) was the only reason I didn't pull the trigger on Zen 2.
Worked out well I guess. But AMD lost a sale last year, learned from it. Now keeping AM5 news under control

Soldato

what a load of non-sense. Every argument in this entire thread has been about gaming performance. No one gave a two bit care about r20 scores.

5600x is faster in all games to all zen2 skus by a significant margin. Makes it win on all metrics that matters to people who wants a 6c12t cpu.

Get real man, what kind of mentalist would buy a 6c12t for serious productivity work rendering and video encoding. You go out buy 12c or 16c parts with respective budget. 5800x is faster in MC scores than 3900x at the same price point, 8c vs 12c. 5900x is just single digit % slower than 3950x but much much cheaper than 3950x. 12c vs 16c. Values there. 5950x is faster than the previous threadripper at a fraction of the cost. It is incredible and give productivity system builders a lot of options - cheap options.

If I ever seen a load of crap, this reply has got to take the biscuit of it all.

Caporegime
what a load of non-sense. Every argument in this entire thread has been about gaming performance. No one gave a two bit care about r20 scores.

5600x is faster in all games to all zen2 skus by a significant margin. Makes it win on all metrics that matters to people who wants a 6c12t cpu.

Get real man, what kind of mentalist would buy a 6c12t for serious productivity work rendering and video encoding. You go out buy 12c or 16c parts with respective budget. 5800x is faster in MC scores than 3900x at the same price point, 8c vs 12c. 5900x is just single digit % slower than 3950x but much much cheaper than 3950x. 12c vs 16c. Values there. 5950x is faster than the previous threadripper at a fraction of the cost. It is incredible and give productivity system builders a lot of options - cheap options.

If I ever seen a load of crap, this reply has got to take the biscuit of it all.
What I'm expecting to see from AMD now, assuming they keep their performance lead, is +15% (ish) performance for +12% cost (each gen).

At the same price points, you'll probably get +3% or so :p And next gen the quad core will be the £300 chip :p

AMD are just as capable of pulling our trousers down as Intel or nVidia ever were.

Soldato
What I'm expecting to see from AMD now, assuming they keep their performance lead, is +15% (ish) performance for +12% cost (each gen).

At the same price points, you'll probably get +3% or so :p And next gen the quad core will be the £300 chip :p

AMD are just as capable of pulling our trousers down as Intel or nVidia ever were.
Not disputing that at all mate. If anything going by past history, the only thing that benefits consumer is competition. When competition is dead we get stuffed. I really hope that rocket lake pulls one out of the bag (but I doubt it will happen) cos I want cheaper parts. I want intel to sort out their fab and other foundries to start challenge TSMC and someone else to come to the VRAM market like micron or Hynix etc. So we don’t end up with this pathetic supply vs gigantic demand situation and lots of competitions.

but the previous post by twinz is just wrong in so many ways.

Soldato
Is a 5700x or 5600 happening this gen? A slightly slower 5800x producing less heat for less money would do very well at the right price I'd imagine.
Indeed, an 8 core 65W TDP part would be nice and should be perfectly possible. Could still give more power per core than the 5900X.

Soldato
Is a 5700x or 5600 happening this gen? A slightly slower 5800x producing less heat for less money would do very well at the right price I'd imagine.
There is very likely to be a £200 part. But no idea what that will be or when. AMD wants to make a load of money before selling their golden goose for the cheap.

Soldato

Zen 2 money was faster than Zen 1 money....full stop.

Not faster here but slower there...just better performance for the same money. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom