What does ‘biased’ even mean anymore?

Soldato
It seems that these days ‘biased’ means anything that doesn’t align with a particular persons view rather than something being ‘unbalanced’.

How did it get this way and why don’t more people recognise this?

Soldato
It's just someone's preferences affecting their behaviour. Everyone does it, and so everything is biased.

I think more of the problem is bigotry, people being so certain of their views they are just completely unwilling to even consider opposing views.

Soldato
People just can't and will not listen to anyone's view that doesn't fit theirs.

Speakers corner is an example, you are either in camp A or B no middle ground it's all back and white.

Permabanned
I had a large picture in my office for ages. It depicted a Mafia Don sat at the head of a table with some sharp suited gangsters stood around. One had obviously just made some statement, and the Don was shown to be replying, "When I want your opinion I will tell you what it is".

Speaker's Corner reminds me of it... :)

Soldato
You are biased and a bad person - keep hold of those facts and work on improving it. That's life. Most people don't grasp it and the vast majority of those that do fail at it.

Soldato

(RIP)

We’re living in this world now.

This made for interesting watching and listening right up until the part he started reading a fairy tale. Which was a shame, because the first two minutes were rationale and made a lot of sense. Not taking away from all the good he did in his life though.

There is also much of an irony when someone talks about truth, lies etc and then starts to use religion in their message.

Soldato
We might not believe in water turning into wine or spirits etc and laugh at those that did/do, but we’re just as easily fooled today into believing things that aren’t true with absolute certainty today (hence the topic of this thread), because we’re human and humans don’t behave like logical/rational machines and the easiest person to lie to is ourselves. Everyone one of us has erroneous beliefs about something because we’re not capable of knowing everything, and some of those beliefs play an important part in how people live their lives - for better or worse - so it ends up being the same ****, different millennia, whether that’s Scientology, ‘Utopia can be achieved via x political system!’ or something else.

What Sacks sees as literal truth I see more as useful (at the time) fiction, but the difference now is instead of collectively having a more or less single grand unifying story/structure to live our lives by, we have numerous less grand, conflicting or competing narratives that don’t appear to be doing anything other than fracturing society back down into tribes or general indifference... and societies, especially the sort most of us live in now, don’t spring up out of nowhere and perpetuate by chance, it takes work from the individual to the collective level to maintain, otherwise eventually they decay and fall apart, and from the numerous historical examples of this it isn’t a nice place to be whether that’s a failed state or a slide to authoritarianism at either end of the political spectrum.

(I’m agnostic btw)

Back
Top Bottom