Complete pc freeze

Associate
Hello all,

For sometime I have been experiencing this problem when I play the game rFactor 2, my pc will just randomly freeze, its as if I have hit the pause button, the only way to get around this is to do a reset, then everything will be fine for a few days and bam it happens again, some night its just once other times its multiple times, I,m very happy its nothing to do with the game, I have reinstalled it a few times and still it happens.
I have looked in the event viewer and noticed this ,

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x3:0x0
Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:pCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2F08&SUBSYS_78851462&REV_02
Secondary Device Name:

Is this to do with the graphics card?

Many thanks Stuart.

Associate
OP
PSU is 6 years old,
here is my spec pc
4575893-252.png

Soldato
New system? New problem? How long has the system been running before the issue started? Have you changed anything hardware wise (new HDD, whatever) since you've had it?

Associate
OP
The system is 6 years old, the problem has been happening for say around 3 months, only additions by me is the 1080 card and an extra ssd, both of which I fitted last year, I have reinstalled windows as well recently to see if there was anything corrupt there.

Associate
OP
When I check under Device manager/Display Adapters and click on Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 , In Events it brings up this

Device PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B80&SUBSYS_119E10DE&REV_A1\4&6bf7e93&0&0018 requires further installation.

And under network adapters the same thing,

Device PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_43A0&SUBSYS_85DF1043&REV_03\04D900FFFF00000000 requires further installation.

Soldato
How many power connectors does the GPU require? 1x6/8, 2x6/8, etc? (if you're using a single daisy chain connector on a GPU with two sets of power connectors, that could be the issue).

Is the old GPU still around?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
IMG-1990-257.jpg
How many power connectors does the GPU require? 1x6/8, 2x6/8, etc? (if you're using a single daisy chain connector on a GPU with two sets of power connectors, that could be the issue).

Is the old GPU still around?
I have one power lead coming from the psu to the gpu and from that a chain lead to the other socket on the gpu,
IMG-1991-254.jpg

gnJdWTcy

gnJdWTcy

Soldato
Start with the simple things, checking your connections as above and making sure you're not daisy chaining the power supply if your GPU requires two sets of connectors. A bios update should be relatively safe, but were it me i'd run the system on the iGPU during that process just for some certainty of stability. That said, i'd exhaust other testing(problem solving) measures before doing that, given that the system has ran fine prior.

Soldato
Presumably you have spare cables (i'd be surprised if that's not the case with your PSU), hook up a second VGA power cable instead of daisy-chaining the single cable and see if that helps with the issue.

For clarity, you have one cable labelled either "PCI-E or VGA" from the PSU that feeds into the GPU? (it doesn't necessarily look that way in the image) If yes, find the spare/additional cables for your PSU and hook up a second VGA/PCI-E express cable in place of the daisy-chained connection.

Last edited:
Soldato
You should have a bag of spare/additional cables for that PSU, it's a fully modular gold PSU.

Black branded bag of cables (you get that with EVGA/Superflower gold PSUs).

box_bundle2.jpg

Just to add a little personal experience in, we have superflower leadexs in two systems now(at home), the lower end system has a (my old GPU) R9 270X which requires 2x6 pin connectors. I tried running that off a single daisy chain PCI-E connector from the PSU(because one connection is easier/cleaner than two) and it wasn't having it, immediately solved that adding a second cable.

Both PSUs, Leadex II and III came with two sets of VGA cables, i'd expect 4 with a 1000W version, i had 4 lots with my previous EVGA 750W (which i can be certain of because i ran crossfire 270x and i remember the volume of cabling as a result).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Found my special bag of spare cables and hooked up a second cable from the psu, this how my connectors are based, and my card details, INNO3D
I ran Furmark stress test for 10 minutes, my cards max temperature reached was 76c.
connector.png

Back
Top Bottom