• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

First, they blew up my PSU:3080 FTW3 Ultra (XOC BIOS tested) Power from the wall numbers

Associate
^10900K overclocked + 3080 running on 600W PSU. So, does that mean a 600W PSU can happily give out 700W sometimes? Assuming Irog's lab results are correct.

Man of Honour
So, does that means a 600W PSU can happily give out 700W sometimes?

Will depend a lot on the PSU - for instance I used to have a OCZ Fatal1ty 700 Watt PSU which used an Impervio design (manufactured by IS Quasar according to Google) - tested better than most 800 Watt units and someone long term stress tested its ability to do 900 Watt! as stable as an average 900 Watt unit.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Will depend a lot on the PSU - for instance I used to have a OCZ Fatal1ty 700 Watt PSU which used an Impervio design (manufactured by IS Quasar according to Google) - tested better than most 800 Watt units and someone long term stress tested its ability to do 900 Watt! as stable as an average 900 Watt unit.

Some OEM's are better than others. Generally the price dictates the quality of components inside. If your lucky you can have a solid OEM make something for like coolermaster/corsair.

Associate
That's a troll video. With B-Roll footage of RDR2.
No actual in game video showing his findings other then him making it to desktop. And I know why too. :D
The 450W PSU makes it to desktop but gives out when trying to do 3D stuff. The 600W PSU works just fine. I have no reason to doubt him and don't think he's trolling.

Soldato
100 watts of headroom isnt enough, asking a PSU to work at 85%+ capacity for extended periods wont do the PSU any favours. Not only that, but numbers measured at the wall dont reflect the real power draw of the cards because what you read at the wall is averaged across x amount of time. As measured by igors lab, a stock 3080 can break 500w at peak transients and you need a psu to deal with that as well as powering the rest of the system. I would want 30-40% headroom minimum and more if i was using a very power hungry GPU.

Like i said, *I* would want a kw because i know i'd be clocking the nuts off both the gpu and cpu. I would not be comfortable knowing a have a cpu drawing 220w and a gpu that can peak at 500w plus being powered by a 750w PSU. That is not at all an overkill assessment.

B6Z6wK4.png

And that's a stock FE, not an overclocked FTW3 Ultra :o

That is correct, the power draw people see in apps like afterburner are not sensitive enough to pick up transient spikes - you may think your 3080 is cruising at 320w which actually it can be having 0.1ms little spikes up to 450w that you won't see in your monitoring software and then later you wonder why your 650w PSU blew up

Soldato
The 450W PSU makes it to desktop but gives out when trying to do 3D stuff. The 600W PSU works just fine. I have no reason to doubt him and don't think he's trolling.

That guy undervolts all his hardware - both that CPU and GPU will be significantly undervolted.

Soldato
Hmm, 230K views, 11K likes. That's one of the biggest youtube video trolls I've seen in a long time. Rick Roll still tops it though. :p

That’s interesting...

Last edited:
Soldato
My 3080FE pulls about 450W max if I up power limit and overclock according to GPU-Z. But I've undervolted it and running it around 1950Mhz. My whole system from the wall is using about 550W maximum - that's including the monitor, a Himalayan rock salt lamp as well.

Soldato
I've a similar rig to yours OP (8600k @ 4.8Ghz, 3080 ftw ultra) and I'm running a Seasonic Titanium PX 750W. You have me a little worried now with those figures. Are you running three separate cables from your PSU to your GPU? I'm not, but I don't think it makes a difference as my PSU is single rail.

ive tried two 3090's on my seasonic titanium 750w, i had power issues with both of them, had to give up and stick with a 3080 which has been fine so far, they are so marginal for these new cards though.

Soldato
My 3080FE pulls about 450W max if I up power limit and overclock according to GPU-Z. But I've undervolted it and running it around 1950Mhz. My whole system from the wall is using about 550W maximum - that's including the monitor, a Himalayan rock salt lamp as well.
I'm definetly going to undervolt as well. Been doing it with all the cards I've had over the past few years and have always been pleased with the results.

Back
Top Bottom