Shucking a WD elements external drive for Synology

Soldato
I'm caught between these 12TB and the 16TB Seagate Expansion Desktop (EXOS Enterprise drive). While the 16TB are a bit more expensive it leaves me more physical room to expand in the future.

Also these drives will be going into some hot swap caddies and the white label drives and the pin mod might be a bit of a pain, just wish their was a bit more Black Friday goodness on the Seagates

Last edited:
Associate
I bought 2x12tb wd elements drives yesterday and took the drives out.

Both were recognised in my PC without any modifications, going to fit them in the nas today.

Soldato
After much humming/harring I went for 3 x 16TB Seagate Expansion Desktop (EXOS Enterprise drive).

I'll flog my 6TB REDs on MM when I've done copying data across and Gen8 Microserver on MM when I'm done.

<edit>

As expected drives contain ST16000NM001G-2KK103 Exos x16 Enterprise drive, SN02 firmware, I will shuck over the weekend.

Last edited:
Soldato
After much humming/harring I went for 3 x 16TB Seagate Expansion Desktop (EXOS Enterprise drive).

I'll flog my 6TB REDs on MM when I've done copying data across and Gen8 Microserver on MM when I'm done.

<edit>

As expected drives contain ST16000NM001G-2KK103 Exos x16 Enterprise drive, SN02 firmware, I will shuck over the weekend.

Are those the £254 drives..? Have you tried to register them using the serial number on the drive, and if so do they register for warranty ok as Internal drives...?

I'll keep my eye out for your advert in MM.
I did notice you have posted what you have bought to replace your Geen8 in the Server section. Most impressive. Thankfully a N54L still suits our needs...!

Soldato
Yeah, £254. I put the serial number on the drive into the Segate Support Website and it tells me the drive is covered until 2024, I know with other manufacturers it’s shows that the drive is part of a component and isn’t covered separately.

Yep I’ve put most of my new NAS together now, discs are the last component really. I’ve liked that case since it first came out and decided to take the plunge.

Soldato
Just replaced two oldish 5TB reds with a WD 10TB Elements drive from the same place, for £150 it seems to work out at the typical price of £15 per TB for external drives.
First time in a while I had seen the N54L as it is bunged away in the loft. Apart from a layer of dust it seems fine and thankfully no tape needed for the third pin when plugging the drive into one of the four bays.

You must be very pleased with that case you bought, as well as your storage options...! Just a pity that manufacturers charge as much as they do for internals compared to a shucked drive.
Good result with the drive registration.

Soldato
Here is what I can see from the drive

y4mJnsjmuzK1lE-ap5tfsFt-tA0aReP1iZzKydaz01iPXGK7DQEZEnqgUskz8MCQ3M0FiVeK4XialKnGvk02k2x26KDNvXXtg2y_gTpqobqvERTu2bhBmpBQH5Xnl6vGkOOo-1Tn57ZXXL_d6EKkgmU9NIslkKAuNGaJCinZaaI3BU8vtNYfQCANZ-oZ05G5Cmg

And what warranty shows

y4mypPrVYA458R9VkmIm0k3hmkzac-B7dxhL2PS1vz9lkLa8GNiMitqSNwHsIsEb4JU2du9oPzADlzjs7-rFITUyvuEjALddzMWi6W73u1swOs6L-hmKe384tM5O5Ippcph0jBuM-qmOIsXUXRyFcpn2iMv_jKMJDfLQ8mbcj3XOtwjuMjrOPl1NA8DKbbpbSpP

Cheers

HEADRAT

Soldato
You should NOT have posted that, damn I'm weak. I have spent enough already..!! I'll just wait for your old Reds to get to the MM

That is seriously impressive. Shows how little that I know, but surprised at an Enterprise class of drive being a 7200 rather than a 5400. But I suppose it is about performance as well.

The 10TB Elements....

10tb.jpg

No warranty to speak of, well two years if I can get it back into the case.

Last time tho I got WD to replace a 6TB Red without them getting the old one back, just had to show evidence of it being destroyed, which I provided.

Associate
thank you, can you pls provide further details on these , are they CMR/SMR, RPM, model, Air or Helium filled

my main objective is long term reliability, low power usage (& cost).
i will be backing up data anyhow offline

Associate
Just bought two of the 12Tb WD Elements drives in the sale. Both came with WD120EMFZ white label drives and both work with a Synology 918+ NAS without the pin mod. They were incredibly easy to get out of the enclosure without having to break it apart and (so far) appear nice and quiet when running. As far as I can tell, they're CMR drives, 5400rpm and air filled. For £164.99, delivered within 12 hours(!!) I'm more than happy!

(The delivery time was almost half of the time required for the NAS to run a parity check on each of the new drives - ha!)

Soldato
Just bought two of the 12Tb WD Elements drives in the sale. Both came with WD120EMFZ white label drives and both work with a Synology 918+ NAS without the pin mod. They were incredibly easy to get out of the enclosure without having to break it apart and (so far) appear nice and quiet when running. As far as I can tell, they're CMR drives, 5400rpm and air filled. For £164.99, delivered within 12 hours(!!) I'm more than happy!

(The delivery time was almost half of the time required for the NAS to run a parity check on each of the new drives - ha!)

That's a good success. I needed to move around 9TB of media from two smaller reds to the 10TB WD sucked Element, that took some time over our network. They are easy to get out of the enclosure, hope that I don't need to put them back in..!

What price did you pay for the 12TB drives, does it work out around £15 per TB...?

Deliberating at the moment as I seem to be at a turning point from using traditional Reds, expensive relatively, to now shucking the much cheaper options from externals.

Soldato
Doh, I had read that twice and still couldn't see the price. lol
Very good price indeed.

I'll have to hunt for that offer - is it still valid...?

Ah seems to have ended now if I found the right rainforest place, you did well there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom