LG OLED + PS5 users (simplink problem)

Hi, I'm not sure how many of you use simplink, LG's HDMI-CEC feature that allows HDMI devices to talk to each other, for example, when enabled, powering off your TV will also turn off your PS5 & AV receiver all at the same time, quite a neat feature.

LG TV's implementation of HDMI-CEC is broken, as I had officially confirmed by an LG engineer today and LG support.

The issue being is if you turn off your TV which in turn powers down your PS5 (good so far), but if you want to turn on your TV again to watch 'regular' TV content rather than game the TV will turn on your PS5 again even if you do not wish it to be on, the reason why this is happens is because your TV will turn on the device that is connected to the input that you last used, and because you turned off your TV while on the PS5 input it will aways power that device back on again, this is quite frustrating and isn't how other TV manufacturers implement HDMI-CEC, this is unique to LG TVs.

As I stated this has been confirmed as a fault by LG, my complaint has gone through to head office but the agent said that the more people that report this fault the better chance there is to get this fixed in a FW update, so if anyone has been bugged by this feature not working correctly then please take the time to fill out the support form here,

https://www.lg.com/uk/support/email

Thanks.

Soldato
My LG has always done this, just assumed it was intended behaviour. Mine is a B7 but I assume it affects most of their models so I can't imagine they'll be looking to resolve this issue across their entire product line unfortunately!

Soldato
Hmm I know what you mean as it used to turn on the last input but I tried going straight to Netflix tonight via the TV remote and it did just that - it didn't power up the PS5. It used to.

Associate
They've always done this afaik (even with the PS4), the rubbish recommended solution has always been to switch your HDMI input before turning the TV off. That way when you turn it back on it doesn't turn the console on too. There are posts on avforums, lg, and sony forums and each says its an issue with the other manufacturer.

Soldato
I had to turn it off because if I turned my Ps5 using the controller, then the TV truns on, then the PS5 goes into rest mode!

The only way to avoid it is to turn on the TV, PS5 turns on, then connect the controller lol.

Hmm I know what you mean as it used to turn on the last input but I tried going straight to Netflix tonight via the TV remote and it did just that - it didn't power up the PS5. It used to.

Yes that is one way to bypass it as it goes straight to Netflix App, I've suggested to LG engineer to make it so that when you press a number on the remote it goes straight to that TV channel like some other TV's do.

Soldato
Yes that is one way to bypass it as it goes straight to Netflix App, I've suggested to LG engineer to make it so that when you press a number on the remote it goes straight to that TV channel like some other TV's do.

I've got quick access keys mapped to other apps like iPlayer and Disney+. I'll give those a try to see if I can also bypass it that way. The Amazon Video button - I need to test that as well.

Soldato
So I tried them all and yeah it's not launching the last HDMI input. Non-issue if you know where you want to be but if you just turn the TV on it'll go to where you were.

Soldato
Can you get to regular freeview without the PS5 turning on because I imagine that it still the most used feature of a TV?
No the guide or list buttons don't turn the TV on. I guess people might still use freeview but personally I just use Sky - though rarely. Maybe if there's rugby on or something. Everything else is via catchup or the streaming apps Netflix, Disney+, iPlayer or Amazon video. Personal preference though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom