Road Cycling

Soldato
Very quiet in here... :o

Had a mixed bag of weather here so far this week, concluding with a ride in sub zero and freezing fog this morning. -3°C! Brrr! Proper cold, but thankfully even with the fog/low humidity so although the air was much colder, there was very little ice around. Lots of frost though!

Soldato
Damn! I thought my morning ride was cold at about 4°C... Did 58 miles and really felt it. I haven't felt good the last couple of mornings (just 26 miles yesterday), maybe I'm just a little under the weather (my temperature was fine) or maybe I've just cycled too much in the last couple of weeks. With the gym's =being closed, everything is cycling! Last week was one of my highest 'Relative Effort' weeks in some time at 750.

Soldato
Very quiet in here... :o

Had a mixed bag of weather here so far this week, concluding with a ride in sub zero and freezing fog this morning. -3°C! Brrr! Proper cold, but thankfully even with the fog/low humidity so although the air was much colder, there was very little ice around. Lots of frost though!

Have you got ice spike tyres fitted just in case, or does the tag-along trailor make you pretty stable?

I squeezed in a rare outdoor ride after work on Monday afternoon, first time visiting a South Downs hill for ~5 weeks or so, legs died when I was almost home having almost certainly pushed my lack of fitness too much while trying to get back before it was pitch black... The fatigue I've felt since has been unreal, doing this short workout https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/back-to-fitness/week-2-1-slow-motion/ with a bit of free-riding afterwards was an absolute chore at gone 2030 last night and today I feel like I'd typically feel after beasting myself up several cat4s pre-Covid!

Supposedly my "power and relative effort" TRIMP score for Monday was ~250 (a combination of commuting, delivering and post-work ride), taking my fitness score very briefly to the highest it's been since mid March, at the cost of my form plumetting to -23 (which partially explains why I still feel so wrecked today at -6 having not done a thing on a day off work).

It's been a very surreal year in terms of cycling and general fitness (besides all the other aspects of Covid), by my standards I felt like a machine during late Jan and early Feb, but after catching Covid it's been a whacky rollercoaster and I'm now heavier to boot at ~81Kg.

Associate
Have you got ice spike tyres fitted just in case, or does the tag-along trailor make you pretty stable?

I squeezed in a rare outdoor ride after work on Monday afternoon, first time visiting a South Downs hill for ~5 weeks or so, legs died when I was almost home having almost certainly pushed my lack of fitness too much while trying to get back before it was pitch black... The fatigue I've felt since has been unreal, doing this short workout https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/back-to-fitness/week-2-1-slow-motion/ with a bit of free-riding afterwards was an absolute chore at gone 2030 last night and today I feel like I'd typically feel after beasting myself up several cat4s pre-Covid!

Supposedly my "power and relative effort" TRIMP score for Monday was ~250 (a combination of commuting, delivering and post-work ride), taking my fitness score very briefly to the highest it's been since mid March, at the cost of my form plumetting to -23 (which partially explains why I still feel so wrecked today at -6 having not done a thing on a day off work).

It's been a very surreal year in terms of cycling and general fitness (besides all the other aspects of Covid), by my standards I felt like a machine during late Jan and early Feb, but after catching Covid it's been a whacky rollercoaster and I'm now heavier to boot at ~81Kg.
I find I’m ok down to -25 and if I’m there for long it’ll destroy me :eek:

Soldato
Anyone have any experience of Fast Forward Wheels? or Know anyone who has. Been thinking about getting some carbon rims but haven't been able to completely decide which brand to go with. Fast Forward have a black friday offer on works out at about 720ish including shipping form Holland.

Soldato
Any I've come across are well made and even the standard hubs seem good quality. With DT hubs they are even better, haven't ever changed a bearing in a friends F2R or F6R.

The rims used to be quite narrow but I assume they are wider these days.

Soldato
Juat bought a 4iiii from Mantel for £205. PayPal finance £50 for 4 months to help cash flow.

Also signed for my house so expensive day :D

Good price that, best UK based 4iiii price I can see is £239 at https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cyclin...-3d-power-meter-105-r7000-black/12104435.html (unless you want a 170mm crank, in which case ~£213 using British Cycling discount at https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cy...ii-precision-105-7000-power-meter-234214.html ).

Don't you already have an "outdoor" pm, or am I all confused again?

Soldato
I had a powertap hub for a few months but thats about it.

I missed out on this for £185 during lockdown so I'm happy to pay £205 now with the way prices are.

I'll be riding a system six next year so I'll need to get a bottom bracket and shimano chainset on there or just keep power for training not racing.

Soldato
Anyone have any experience of Fast Forward Wheels? or Know anyone who has. Been thinking about getting some carbon rims but haven't been able to completely decide which brand to go with. Fast Forward have a black friday offer on works out at about 720ish including shipping form Holland.

I've had a pair of F4R for 4 years. Quality wheels. Raced on them heaps, crashed them and they still look new and hubs are perfect still.

I have a FFWD disc also which is superb. Can't say a bad word about it.

Associate
I decided in the end to replace my wheelset completely as it was going to be quite a bit to repair the old wheel, any excuse right? I went with the Prime Carbon Black editions 50mm, mainly because i needed somewhere that supported the Cycle 2 Work scheme. They turned up today, i'll fit them tonight for a first ride tomorrow.

Soldato
Anyone know of someone who repairs shoes? I was sure Alex Dowsett recommended someone but can’t find the tweet. Maybe I made it up.

I found one place but it’s custom artwork only on new or almost new shoes.

I was wondering about a minor repair (heel foam/cup coming apart) and maybe customisation or just let them choose. Mrs asking what I want for Xmas and drawing a blank, this could be something unique and funky while practical.

There isn’t anything wrong with the shoes just the heel needs minor repair from putting my feet in/out.

Seems wasteful to buy a new set of shoes for just that (these are Vaypor +) but it would need to be done properly as if it rubs or digs in then it would be a nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom