House Networking solution advice - Hardwired it but ?????

Associate
So I was fortunate to be able to rewire my house in CAT6 cable and now have 18 ends in my study to terminate next to my router, although may not need this many currently.
My friend gave me a D-Link DGS-1510-28X So I have a 28 port switch for free that I can use.

The house is Approx 14mx10m foot print 3 story, so a nice enough 6 bed sized house built in 1967 so cavity walls, the issue being my income BT line in in study (good) but thats at the front of the house (bad). Currently have Sky Fibre (runs at 30-80mb so happy TBH) However this router doesnt give Wifi at back of house or upstairs in many rooms (Trying to give an idea of home wifi compatibility)

Usual house, though we dont have many wireless devices, just phones,tablets and laptops. So dont need huge speed, just would like seamless coverage for phones all over house.
I have a large garden 100m at the back so I also have a CAT6 placed in ceiling at back of house encase I need a point there also (maybe do in future?)

So what do I need?
Will a Ubiquti Lite placed upstairs on the landing likely cover the whole house? (I put a CAT 6 there)
Does the sky router just plug into my Switch and my Ubiquiti?

I also have approx 4 x CAT6 in places where Is like a PoE Camera, shall I just do a standalone system? (Id like to be able to view the cameras from phone when away from house)

Would drawing a diagram of house help?
I dont want to spend a fortune straight away if I can help it, but would like to add to it as I go, for example Im not buying the cameras yet as still putting house back together and will let technology evolve for another few months before I get them. Happy to buy just a single AP now and the key thing and "see" if covers whole house.

Soldato
I'd buy a single AP and try it.

You don't necessarily need the 'key thing' if you only need the basic AP functionality (or have somewhere else to run the controller). I have my UniFi APs cloud-hosted. It didn't initially cost any extra and the renewals are cheap.

Associate
OP
Cheers will do. Does something have to "host" it all the time its being used? Like a PC or a Phone or RassPi? Do you just need a PC to setup and hen PC can be off?

Soldato
There are some features that require the controller to be running. The core functionality doesn't.

I think it's possible to configure them without any controller. I seem to remember it as an option in the phone app.

Associate
OP
Cheers all. Setup 2 x AC LR and they are great! (only needed one really) Also got a toughswitch to power it and give me a few ports. Will have to get a switch at somepoint for everything

Back
Top Bottom