*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
Probably a stupid suggestion, but are all the drivers up to date? Maybe worth completely removing the USB drivers and re-installing?

this sounds like a case of cheap leads and cheap expansion card combos. Unfortunately PC cables are unlike HDMI and stuff and to get anywhere near optimum speeds you need to make sure that everything from PSU to cards in PCIE 8/16 slots and the associated cable are all working in harmony. First thing I would do would be to go on Amazon, get a decent brand USB PCIE adaptor and the official link cable because if you keep going on your present route its going to cost you more in the long run anyway. Then if this stuff doesn’t work you can send it back to Amazon for a no quibble refund anyway. Start off with the cable first then work back to the adapter. The fact that people are getting only 2.3 Gbps on the average priced cables compared to 3 on the official cable and are then suffering stuttering tells you all you need to know.

Soldato
this sounds like a case of cheap leads and cheap expansion card combos. Unfortunately PC cables are unlike HDMI and stuff and to get anywhere near optimum speeds you need to make sure that everything from PSU to cards in PCIE 8/16 slots and the associated cable are all working in harmony. First thing I would do would be to go on Amazon, get a decent brand USB PCIE adaptor and the official link cable because if you keep going on your present route its going to cost you more in the long run anyway. Then if this stuff doesn’t work you can send it back to Amazon for a no quibble refund anyway. Start off with the cable first then work back to the adapter. The fact that people are getting only 2.3 Gbps on the average priced cables compared to 3 on the official cable and are then suffering stuttering tells you all you need to know.

Who was suffering from stuttering on the 2.3gps and then definitely ok on the official? Haven't seen reports of that specifically. It's only upto 500mbs right now I believe, so 2.3gps or 3gps, makes not a great deal of difference...

Soldato
Maybe I read it wrong, but I thought he bought a 'works on Quest' cable and plugged it directly into a PC USB at one point? So faulty cable or USB - at that point I'd say return cable for replacement and if it continued suspect the PC USB.

I appreciate other things were brought in, but maybe strip it back to the start.?

Soldato
Tried the new v23 oculus link and the 90hz and increased resolution is so much better! Still get terrible motion sickness though.

Just take it easy and build up your resistance. If you feel sick stop playing immediately and come back later when you feel better. If you push through you can train your brain to associate VR with motion sickness, and it's very hard to overcome that.

Underboss
Just take it easy and build up your resistance. If you feel sick stop playing immediately and come back later when you feel better. If you push through you can train your brain to associate VR with motion sickness, and it's very hard to overcome that.

ill second this
When i first used VR (light things) after like 10 mins i started to get like a headache feeling, stopped for like 30 mins to an hour until completely gone, then try again
I've built up my resistance a lot now, but i am still yet to experience things like roller coasters and horror games etc

Soldato
So my 80 year old dad just streamed 10 minutes live to facebook of him going through the Real VR fishing menu. I suspect he may have thought Cast = Fishing cast. Thankfully after 10 minutes, he then switched it to Cast to his phone :D :D :D

Soldato
Tried the new v23 oculus link and the 90hz and increased resolution is so much better! Still get terrible motion sickness though.

Ha, well, how good is your GPU? With the increased resolution and load on the GPU, it's probably making your motion sickness worse :p

Have you tried the steps of actually taking off your headset anytime you start to feel sick and going away from it until you feel completely better? It might take a few days or even a couple of weeks if you are especially sensitive. The trick is never to play though the sick feeling. Always stop immediately.

Soldato
Probably a stupid suggestion, but are all the drivers up to date? Maybe worth completely removing the USB drivers and re-installing?
Installed, uninstalled and installed again. Latest drivers used, drives on the CD used etc. All sorts.

I agree. A combination of poor expansion cards and poor leads.

Maybe I read it wrong, but I thought he bought a 'works on Quest' cable and plugged it directly into a PC USB at one point? So faulty cable or USB - at that point I'd say return cable for replacement and if it continued suspect the PC USB.

Okay so an update. I've received the Inateck expansion card today and this operates at full speed with my flash drive whereas the other two cards did not. Woo!! Good news!! However, I am still not able to get a USB 3 connection to the Oculus with the cable I'm using.

I'm at a point now where I feel the weak link is the cable. So, any more suggestions for a USB A - USB C cable for my Oculus? 3 down, however many more to go.

Soldato
Hello folks, Ive got some questions Id like to ask please:

1. Im primarily using the PC to game, do I really need the 256GB version or could I get away with the 64GB?

2. I assume this is for content that you want to install locally on the Quest 2?

3. I want to get the cable to attached to the PC, I read some posts earlier that there some question marks over some of the cables. Can anyone recommend anything? I dont have a USB C port on my rig, but I do have a USB 3.0 on the front, can I use that?

4. Is it easy to setup Virtual Desktop with Oculus Link?

5. Virtual Desktop just sounds like a wrap around desktop sitting infront of your eyes, or does it really mimic true VR?

6. Does the quest 2 have sound capability? or do I need my own earphones?

Soldato
1. Im primarily using the PC to game, do I really need the 256GB version or could I get away with the 64GB?
64gb should be fine if it's mainly PC you're playing.

2. I assume this is for content that you want to install locally on the Quest 2?
Yes, both Oculus store content and sideloaded content.

3. I want to get the cable to attached to the PC, I read some posts earlier that there some question marks over some of the cables. Can anyone recommend anything? I dont have a USB C port on my rig, but I do have a USB 3.0 on the front, can I use that?

Yes, the connector type isn't relevant - it's the actual protocol that matters. However type C ports can supply more power and thus charge the device better.

You don't need virtual desktop for Oculus Link - it's a separate, third party feature that uses wi-fi.

5. Virtual Desktop just sounds like a wrap around desktop sitting infront of your eyes, or does it really mimic true VR?
Virtual desktop can do a lot of things, including bringing your PC desktop into VR so you can work, watch movies or play normal PC games. But it also now allows you to play both Oculus and Steam VR games wirelessly, though results vary depending on your wi-fi setup and PC capability.

It has built in speakers that give a surprisingly good 3D audio experience. However it is leaky and not as good as dedicated headphones. It has a 3.5mm jack for your own headphones.

Soldato

1. Most people have bought the 64GB version. Most games are a few GBs at most, so even if you run out of space, redownloading stuff doesn't take long. Video tends to be the bigger storage hog, for example if you had a bunch of SBS 3D Blu-Ray rips and want to play them on the Quest rather than stream from a PC. You'd then definitely want the 256GB version.

2. Yes.

3. I'm sure someone else will give a helpful answer on this. I just use VD.

4. It's not "plug & play" simple. But providing you can run a cable from your router to your PC, and can tweak basic router settings, it's not overly comicated.

5. VD has two sides to it; as standard, it'll put you in a virtual location, looking at your PC's desktop. If you sideload the version on SideQuest (an unofficial PC application for loading content to your Quest) you will get support for VR applications. The latter version will allow you to play PCVR games remotely.

6. Sound is fine. You don't need other headphones. But you can choose to use them. I use my Bose QC35s sometimes.

Soldato
Can I just confirm again regarding the wired usage, is it right that using Oculus Link I read that its not a very good piece of software? Colours are washed out? etc etc?

Can you use Virtual desktop via wired?

Soldato
Had a mixed bag on my quest 2 today.
1st the good.
I picked up virtual desktop and played steam Arizona sunshine. In the lounge it ran flawlessly. It's a slower paced game so I am not saying it will work for all but for that I would not have guessed it wasn't tethered.... Aside from the lack of cable.

Fantastic.

However the bad.

Unfortunately I had bought it hoping to play in the conservatory where I have more space alas even with a WiFi booster it's very poor. I won't be refunding but alas I doubt my quest will get as much WiFi pcvr use as I had hoped

The Worse.....
I tried my £29 5m cable on 1st arrival it was flawless. 2.4gbps connection and it looked amazing. However today on setting up virtual desktop it refused to keep the headset connected for more than a few seconds. This was in all my usb2, front , rear and inateck pcie card.

Either the cable picked up a fault, an update to pc did something or I just got lucky for the 2 HR elite dangerous session .

It could be my pc, all my USB are 3.0...........
, 3.1 or 3.2 may be better. But 3.0 is meant to be supported the question is would the official cable be any better...... But either way I can't be doing with a flakey connection so I will be keeping the reverb G2 I think. The quest may have to stay mobile

i just put in an Amazon returns request

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08L1J8VDF?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Last edited:
Soldato
Can I just confirm again regarding the wired usage, is it right that using Oculus Link I read that its not a very good piece of software? Colours are washed out? etc etc?

Can you use Virtual desktop via wired?

Oculus link after the recent update is superb.... When it works. I bought a 3rd party cable which could be my problem but I am getting connection issues but when working it amazes me how good it is.

Soldato
I am quite surprised by the varying experiences people are having with the USB 3 cables. They will work for a period of time, then they will stop working. Some work flawlessly, some never work. What is the reason for this? Cheap cables? Although £30 for a cable doesn't seem that cheap to me.

Associate
Who was suffering from stuttering on the 2.3gps and then definitely ok on the official? Haven't seen reports of that specifically. It's only upto 500mbs right now I believe, so 2.3gps or 3gps, makes not a great deal of difference...
The 500 is the encoding bit rate of the video not the total transfer of data both ways. Plenty of people now suffering with increased stuttering that were fine before since the update has increased the bandwidth. Admittedly I plucked the 2.3 number out the air but I’d imagine there is a good reason why a USB 3 port is required and not a USB 2.

Back
Top Bottom