Windows 10

Associate
Anyone had this bugger ?

welcome-to-windows-on-startup-01.jpg

Mine doesn't have the skip for now bottom left, has remind me in 3 days (which i just selected), and underneath, ive got the like double arrowed wheel, Easy Access.

Is there a way to get rid of it ? , as im not interested in anything else. :p

EDIT: Think ive done it.

In the Settings > System > Notifications and Actions, i unticked, Show Me The Windows Experience After Updates, And Occasionally When I Sign In, To Highlight Whats New And Suggested.

Also, that settings banner, has now gone :D
I just got this after Windows Update rebooted my PC overnight. I think it's: Under the "Notifications" section, clear the Suggest ways I can finish setting up my device to get the most out of Windows option, as I already have the above option unticked. Windows 10 is a lot like a rollercoaster in the dark.

Caporegime
I just got this after Windows Update rebooted my PC overnight. I think it's: Under the "Notifications" section, clear the Suggest ways I can finish setting up my device to get the most out of Windows option, as I already have the above option unticked. Windows 10 is a lot like a rollercoaster in the dark.

Ive never had it come back yet, only that damn settings bar. :( :D

Man of Honour
FFS booted up one of my tablets... Welcome to Windows screen no option to skip, pretty sure I've already done it twice on this system in the last couple of months, and typically at the most inopportune moment as well (always seems to happen to me).

Get your ******** **** together MS.

EDIT: And now this system has that banner at the top of the settings page but it isn't rendering correctly for some reason......................... (EDIT: To be fair rendering issues seem related to me messing about with onedrive to prevent some other annoyances but still it should cope better than that if designed properly) if I did my job this badly I'd be lucky to have a job.

EDIT2: Just checked and Welcome to Windows isn't ticked in the notifications area either (pretty sure I checked that was disabled last time it happened).

EDIT3: LOL so it launched into the updates process in the background, ignoring my settings, so I ended up going to another system to do what I wanted assuming it would go through the updates process unattended but no this time it decides after chugging CPU for awhile and disrupting me trying to use the system it is going to go into a waiting for downloads state and I have to manually press the download button to start the actual update process itself... so I guess it kind of sort of went with my update settings but not in a meaningful way as in why I would have those settings set that way!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Windows 10 Defrag TRIM bug still not fixed after six months - BleepingComputer.com

After the release of two Windows 10 feature updates and numerous cumulative updates, Microsoft has still not fixed a bug causing Windows Defrag to TRIM non-SSD drives.

In May 2020, Microsoft released Windows 10 2004, the May 2020 Update, and introduced two bugs causing SSD drives to be defragged too often and for the TRIM operation to be attempted on non-SSD drives.​

V F

V F

Soldato
Windows 10 Defrag TRIM bug still not fixed after six months - BleepingComputer.com

After the release of two Windows 10 feature updates and numerous cumulative updates, Microsoft has still not fixed a bug causing Windows Defrag to TRIM non-SSD drives.

In May 2020, Microsoft released Windows 10 2004, the May 2020 Update, and introduced two bugs causing SSD drives to be defragged too often and for the TRIM operation to be attempted on non-SSD drives.​

Imagine being a major software company and not testing your crap.

Man of Honour
Maybe about time they split out feature and security updates again and actually implemented them in a non-pants on head retarded kind of manner.

Amusing (but frustrating) how the updates options has, as I predicted it would, now become a mess of special casing rather than just acknowledge the issue and implement the common sense approach.

Permabanned
Maybe about time they split out feature and security updates again and actually implemented them in a non-pants on head retarded kind of manner.

Amusing (but frustrating) how the updates options has, as I predicted it would, now become a mess of special casing rather than just acknowledge the issue and implement the common sense approach.

I don't understand why they don't do it like this security / feature - would make it much better.

Man of Honour
It is a pain for me as I use mobile devices a lot - I have 2x GPD Pocket, as well as other Windows tablets and a couple of laptops which I like to keep abreast of security updates in a timely manner due to the environments they might be used in - which isn't always my trusted home network - but I definitely need full control over feature updates with that kind of usage - an inopportune feature update with on the go usage can be double the ball-ache especially if it doesn't take properly - the last thing I need to be doing in that kind of context is trying to fix system problems.

Sorry but MS have some real dimwits in development who lack the ability to see the broader picture or don't care and it is one time I'm not going to hold back on what I say about it - I an many others have tried to submit feedback and so on through the proper channels and it has gone nowhere.

Consigliere
Thought i would post here and see if anyone can help. :)

I went to to update and shut down. It was stuck at 0% cleaning...so i turned it off. :o

Anyways booted it and it made the Windows welcome noise but black screen so far.

HDD sounds busy so guess i leave it..?

Solved: Left it for 40mins then rebooted even with a black screen. Yay!

Last edited:
Soldato
Caution with, kb4586786, the latest update. This seems to take ages (can be hours) to install. It stuck on 20% for about 20 mins! Some people seem to report hours. So WAIT. If you reboot thinking it's stuck you may get the BSOD.

The restart / configure is quite fast / normal.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Any recent updates likely to cause BSOD and the BIOS to complain that the CPU overclock failed? My CPU isn't overclocked and stays under 60 degrees full load. It's been rock solid for months in loads of games then suddenly starts crashing last night.

Soldato
I tried updating my Lenovo laptop sound driver to the one that is supposed to allow v2004 update. The only outcome was that after it loaded windows it suffered a BSOD. Had to go to safe mode and uninstall the sound driver. Will now boot but still cannot update past v 1909. Just have to sit and wait till MS sort this problem. Humph!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Any recent updates likely to cause BSOD and the BIOS to complain that the CPU overclock failed? My CPU isn't overclocked and stays under 60 degrees full load. It's been rock solid for months in loads of games then suddenly starts crashing last night.

Nothing Windows does should cause the BIOS to complain about a CPU overclock failing. CPUs failing is fairly rare so I'd check other stuff first like memory stability, maybe try reseating stuff, etc. check PSU voltages are OK and temperatures are in check and so on.

Soldato
FFS booted up one of my tablets... Welcome to Windows screen no option to skip, pretty sure I've already done it twice on this system in the last couple of months, and typically at the most inopportune moment as well (always seems to happen to me).

Get your ******** **** together MS.

EDIT: And now this system has that banner at the top of the settings page but it isn't rendering correctly for some reason......................... (EDIT: To be fair rendering issues seem related to me messing about with onedrive to prevent some other annoyances but still it should cope better than that if designed properly) if I did my job this badly I'd be lucky to have a job.

EDIT2: Just checked and Welcome to Windows isn't ticked in the notifications area either (pretty sure I checked that was disabled last time it happened).

EDIT3: LOL so it launched into the updates process in the background, ignoring my settings, so I ended up going to another system to do what I wanted assuming it would go through the updates process unattended but no this time it decides after chugging CPU for awhile and disrupting me trying to use the system it is going to go into a waiting for downloads state and I have to manually press the download button to start the actual update process itself... so I guess it kind of sort of went with my update settings but not in a meaningful way as in why I would have those settings set that way!!!

After read your post, I ticked Welcome to Windows in the notification area and it showed up in Settings banner and I went back to unticked it and checked it is gone. It still worked on VMWare too.

I uploaded video clip below.

https://i.imgur.com/8nDo33I.mp4

Man of Honour
After read your post, I ticked Welcome to Windows in the notification area and it showed up in Settings banner and I went back to unticked it and checked it is gone. It still worked on VMWare too.

I uploaded video clip below.

https://i.imgur.com/8nDo33I.mp4

What I'm talking about mostly is the big blue Welcome to Windows screen that comes up over everything else - something seems a bit buggy/glitchy in the behaviour as it seems on some systems periodically appear at start up and occasionally just pop up sometime within a short time of booting into Windows and doesn't always have the option there to simply skip it and/or differ it. It seems to happen regardless of what settings you choose and/or whether you've gone through it to the end or not previously.

The settings banner is another thing entirely.

V F

V F

Soldato
So I took the plunge for the 20H2 update over the weekend. It wasn't showing in Windows Update but used the upgrade assistant. On day 3 now and it seems to have been fine. Even with the Creative Audigy 2 ZS with its drivers released in 2018.

Back
Top Bottom