Kent—the best town/area to live for London commuting

Associate
Petts Wood here (not the posh side - but still a great place to live :p ). Brilliant from a commute perspective (22mins to London Bridge / 45mins to Canary Wharf) and a great mix of city convenience and edge of countryside relaxation. We have fields and woods at the end of our road and can be out into 'proper' Kent countryside in 20-30mins. There are a few options for flats under £200k but probably limited choice.

Man of Honour
I live in Surrey and work in Canary Wharf (well I did before the lockdown). If you buy a place in Kent then which train station would you come into? I can tell you that getting across from Waterloo to Canary Wharf on the Jubilee Line during rush hour is utter hell even on a 'good' day. On a bad day it's hellishly hell.

Soldato
I live in Surrey and work in Canary Wharf (well I did before the lockdown). If you buy a place in Kent then which train station would you come into? I can tell you that getting across from Waterloo to Canary Wharf on the Jubilee Line during rush hour is utter hell even on a 'good' day. On a bad day it's hellishly hell.

Can catch a coach from Maidstone / Medway to Canary wharf but not as predictable as trains - although with WFH makes traffic lighter now.

Soldato
Canterbury is lovely. My favourite day out was always drive down past Challow, nip to the village shop, go to Victoriana Nurseery then out for a day in Canterbury. Without a doubt the thing I miss most about Kent.

I loved living in Kent apart from the traffic to and from work in Dartford. Killer I didn't realise how stressed it made me till I left.

Soldato
I'm from Maidstone. Can confirm it's sadly gone downhill a lot the past 20 years :( such a shame.
I have actually been looking in Maidstone, I am looking for something with a reasonable commute into London and Maidstone isn't too bad.

I have been finding properties around the Maidstone Grammar school/mote park area. What is that side of Maidstone like?

Apologies to hijack the thread but saves starting a new one!

Soldato
I have actually been looking in Maidstone, I am looking for something with a reasonable commute into London and Maidstone isn't too bad.

I have been finding properties around the Maidstone Grammar school/mote park area. What is that side of Maidstone like?

Apologies to hijack the thread but saves starting a new one!

That's actually where I grew up and went to school - I lived on Hastings Road.

Mote park is lovely, and being close to it to go for a walk/cycle ride is very pleasant. My opinion is that it's better to stay east of Hastings road if you can. From memory as you go west it gets a bit rougher.

My comment about the decline is mainly related to the town center. It used to feel nice to walk around and spend a bit of time in. Now whenever I visit it's an "in and out" style affair.

Are you commuting by train or car? Getting to the M20 through that area isn't too bad, but there's a lot of traffic during the morning rush hour. You'd be better off leaving early as you can easily be stuck for 20-30 minutes on the outskirts of the town otherwise.

The train line is Maidstone east. This is a busy line as you'd expect, but walking from that area to the station isn't too bad, about a 25-30 minute walk.

EDIT: A slightly off the wall suggestion, but have you considered Flitwick? Some friends of mine moved there 2 years ago to commute to London. I've visited often and it's a nice area with housing that's not too expensive and a train line/close to the M1.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's actually where I grew up and went to school - I lived on Hastings Road.

Mote park is lovely, and being close to it to go for a walk/cycle ride is very pleasant. My opinion is that it's better to stay east of Hastings road if you can. From memory as you go west it gets a bit rougher.

My comment about the decline is mainly related to the town center. It used to feel nice to walk around and spend a bit of time in. Now whenever I visit it's an "in and out" style affair.

Are you commuting by train or car? Getting to the M20 through that area isn't too bad, but there's a lot of traffic during the morning rush hour. You'd be better off leaving early as you can easily be stuck for 20-30 minutes on the outskirts of the town otherwise.

The train line is Maidstone east. This is a busy line as you'd expect, but walking from that area to the station isn't too bad, about a 25-30 minute walk.

EDIT: A slightly off the wall suggestion, but have you considered Flitwick? Some friends of mine moved there 2 years ago to commute to London. I've visited often and it's a nice area with housing that's not too expensive and a train line/close to the M1.
Cheers for that mate, the one I found was closer to Loose Road up towards the grammar school as I said.

I'd commute be train, so I'd walk up to Maidstone East as you say roughly 20mins.

Haven't looked at Flitwick, will take a look.

EDIT; I presumed Flitwick was a place in Kent i had missed, unfortunately I do need to be in Kent which does limit my options a bit, looks nice though you are right!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom