Your favourite supermarket thai curry pastes

Associate
Tesco has recently (since I last bought a jar, anyhow) reformulated their green thai curry paste to a gloopy flavourless mess, with the main ingredient being "green pepper". Bleurgh.

Which pastes that are available from regular shops do you rate?

I find the Sainsburys rendang/panang good. Got the Lidl ones in the cupboard to try next.

Associate
May ploy, cook it off for a few min cook your veg and meat put in your tin of coconut milk, palm sugar and fish sause to taste. Lime leaves to finish, job done

Last edited:
Caporegime
I used the asda ones a few times and they were fine but it says to use like 1 spoon or something.

I just used 2 jars for like 5 litres of curry sauce.
btw most of them contain fish extract or whatever it is so check the ingredients if your a vegetarian.

BTW if you use coconut cream it's way better than using cocunut milk (also get the one with as less additives as possible, you will notice the difference)

Soldato
May ploy, cook it off for a few min cook your veg and meat put in your tin of coconut milk, palm sugar and fish sause to taste. Lime leaves to finish, job done

This

having had a few green curries in various places around Thailand i find this is pretty close to the authentic taste

Associate
Yeah that coconut milk is decent. Shame it's like gold dust make for some reason? It's been getting increasingly hard to find coconut milk without sweeteners and additives nowadays :confused:

Local Chinese cash and carry is the best place (but aware this is a supermarket thread). I get mine from Chi Yip in Chadderton (Near Oldham) if any peeps are nearby and wondered where it's plentiful.

Soldato
Not so much sauce but Spice Tailor seems to be pretty good - the byriani, cool low and slow for an hour before adding the rice then cook for 15 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom