• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

First, they blew up my PSU:3080 FTW3 Ultra (XOC BIOS tested) Power from the wall numbers

Soldato
The Seasonic Titanium PX 750W and other PSUs of similar standard are be able to cope with spikes up to 110% or their rated output. (Maybe at bit more for the very best PSUs)

So 744 W = 818.4 W max spike output. 909.3 W spike from the wall, which you wouldn't see without professional monitoring equipment.

I guess overdoing my PSU will make future upgrades risk free, but I'm waiting to see what 7nm brings. :) It has been used for over 1,150 W from the wall usage before it was added to my gaming PC, so it wasn't an intentional over spec.

Associate
ive tried two 3090's on my seasonic titanium 750w, i had power issues with both of them, had to give up and stick with a 3080 which has been fine so far, they are so marginal for these new cards though.
Interesting thanks...My system is 100% stable the last few days, I'll probably try undervolting to keep power consumption and temps down. I'm definitely not risking the OC bios on my 3080 which pushes the power consumption up by another 50-60W.

Soldato
ive tried two 3090's on my seasonic titanium 750w, i had power issues with both of them, had to give up and stick with a 3080 which has been fine so far, they are so marginal for these new cards though.

So erm, what does happens when you do get power issues? Drop outs? CTD's? BSOD? I've never had any issues to my knowledge but its probably a good idea to be aware of them incase.

Soldato
OP
OK boys and girls XOC BIOS went on today. Worked up to the 118% power limit and set fans to manual 100% (quite a din produced!)

I tried up to + 150mhz on the core and saw a Glory-boost of 2160mhz in game (all testing is RDR2 as good indicator of stability I find). This however crashed.

Preliminary testing shows +100mhz on the core may be stable in RDR2 but this is literally only a few mins of gameplay.

Back to power, I saw a PEAK and I mean absolute new peak of 740.5W from the wall.

I would say using my app, with XOC BIOS and power limit slider maxed out you are looking at 690-700W average from the wall.

uc

uc

Conclusion, for this card + XOC BIOS + overclocking a good 750W is fine a 650W is not.

MY AX860 previously blew, I think it's about 8-9 years old. Roughly equates to 20-25W lost per year owned, at which point my 860 became more like a 650W PSU very roughly.

I strongly urge all 3080 owners with PSUs getting on in age (7+ years?) to replace it as a preventative measure. I was totally sat smug with my seasonic-built corsair premium 860W PSU only to have it blow up, not nice let me tell you with £800 GPUs connected up!

Soldato
Despite knowing what i know and seeing measurements from the wall previously, i figured a bit more headroom is better than running close to a limit that may or may not be there.

My wattage readings during gaming (watch dogs legion for instance) sits around 640-670w. Everything is overclocked but im not at tremendous voltages as ive managed to get a pretty decent 9900k running 5.0ghz at 1.225v after vdrop and the power limit on the rtx 3090 is only 104% which equates to around 370w peak (msi afterburner).

I could imagine a full synthetic benchmark would push the load beyond 700w quite easily but still well within a 750w gold rated psu efficiency at 90%.

Soldato
I've a similar rig to yours OP (8600k @ 4.8Ghz, 3080 ftw ultra) and I'm running a Seasonic Titanium PX 750W. You have me a little worried now with those figures. Are you running three separate cables from your PSU to your GPU? I'm not, but I don't think it makes a difference as my PSU is single rail.

Can't run three separate cables. Didn't realise the X4 PCI-E connector figure provided by Asus is just two pigtail connectors. Anyway that's how they've designed the PSU.

I wanted to buy 850/860W again, but there were just massive shortages. I was literally losing sleeping thinking my 3080 FTW3 was fragged and got the system going again as fast as possible.

Good PSUs from articles i've read over the years can provide continous power, not just transient above their rating. Obviously this shouldn't be relied on though.

It's kind of too late now.

I think i'll be ok, If I see 800W at the wall as a peak I need to worry... haha

Edit I think I've just pinned down the new noise in my system to the PSU fan bearing. It's not coil whine from the GPU and it's not the fans in the GPU.

It happens when I stress the system for a bit, just as you'd expect a PSU fan to then come on. It's a tally really audible even with headphones on and annoying as rest of system is quiet.
So it may be going back, at least my GPU survived:)

I was told it wasn’t wise to run a 3080/90 with 1 pigtailed pcie cable and you should always run 2

Caporegime
MY AX860 previously blew, I think it's about 8-9 years old. Roughly equates to 20-25W lost per year owned, at which point my 860 became more like a 650W PSU very roughly.

Im really not sure thats how it works. Especially not to anything like that degree. Your PSU probably had a fault.

A few review sites have re-tested old PSU's and the voltage control etc is sometimes out of spec and some of the readings get a bit sloppy, but they can still chuck out most of the juice.

I think its plausible that the reliable output could have dropped to 800W after 8 or 9 years without a design flaw or unusual failure, 750W seems unlikely, 650W absolutely not.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeh I was just theorising as it's never happened to me before. I think I may have received bad advice off the Corsair reps about a cable.
Anyway I've let them know that now.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Im really not sure thats how it works. Especially not to anything like that degree. Your PSU probably had a fault.

A few review sites have re-tested old PSU's and the voltage control etc is sometimes out of spec and some of the readings get a bit sloppy, but they can still chuck out most of the juice.

I think its plausible that the reliable output could have dropped to 800W after 8 or 9 years without a design flaw or unusual failure, 750W seems unlikely, 650W absolutely not.

Yeah there are far more intricacies to power supplies, what most people are fed is based on wifes tails or just bad experience heard from a friend.

Associate
I've a similar rig to yours OP (8600k @ 4.8Ghz, 3080 ftw ultra) and I'm running a Seasonic Titanium PX 750W. You have me a little worried now with those figures. Are you running three separate cables from your PSU to your GPU? I'm not, but I don't think it makes a difference as my PSU is single rail.

Is the separate cable thing more for multi rail? I've been worried about my 30A GPU rail on my 650w PSU but then if I have one cable coming from each 30A rail that would probably give the GPU enough room for transients. Any downsides to doing this?

Back
Top Bottom