BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
Yeah the state of progress isn't great. I think I got ADSL in 2001 which was 512Kbps, then over the years this was upgraded to 1Mbps, 2Mbps, then ADSL Max before moving to Be and managing around 10Mbps on ADSL2+ around 2007 before upgrading to Infinity in 2012 which delivered around 65Mbps, and since then...nothing. It's been the longest period of being willing to subscribe to the fastest home internet service available to me without any increases in speed since I first started using it in 97/98 on a dial-up service.

Associate
Yeah the state of progress isn't great. I think I got ADSL in 2001 which was 512Kbps, then over the years this was upgraded to 1Mbps, 2Mbps, then ADSL Max before moving to Be and managing around 10Mbps on ADSL2+ around 2007 before upgrading to Infinity in 2012 which delivered around 65Mbps, and since then...nothing. It's been the longest period of being willing to subscribe to the fastest home internet service available to me without any increases in speed since I first started using it in 97/98 on a dial-up service.

When we were on ADSL2+ before FTTC we only got a max of 3.5mbps, so the jump to 75 at the time was amazing and was more than enough however with current demands with WFH and gaming if I had the choice I'd upgrade to 1gbps if it were available. Crikey 2012 is a long while without any speed bump, wish they'd prioritise a bit the exchanges who have been on FTTC for longest also, anyone know how they choose exchanges to be upgraded? The neighbouring exchange has been fully upgraded, sadly not the one I'm on.

Caporegime
When we were on ADSL2+ before FTTC we only got a max of 3.5mbps, so the jump to 75 at the time was amazing and was more than enough however with current demands with WFH and gaming if I had the choice I'd upgrade to 1gbps if it were available. Crikey 2012 is a long while without any speed bump, wish they'd prioritise a bit the exchanges who have been on FTTC for longest also, anyone know how they choose exchanges to be upgraded? The neighbouring exchange has been fully upgraded, sadly not the one I'm on.
Tbh the places that never got FTTC and those running slowest should have been given priority but its always been a commercial decision by Openreach rather than a need led rollout.

Soldato
Tbh the places that never got FTTC and those running slowest should have been given priority but its always been a commercial decision by Openreach rather than a need led rollout.

Didn’t the new announcement (or the details of the previous announcement) place an emphasis on a outside in build approach along with the lot bundling system?

Soldato
I don’t think there’s anything unfortunate about Virgin Media not being available when you can get that instead :D
Been with VM for years and great service hah, originally 350 now the 500mb. I think im the only one on my road who has it mind so maybe that matters!

But how is BT900, I take it you are saying its pretty solid?

Soldato
Hi everyone, i have a BT landline but not BT broadband. I know this is a shameless request from me, but im looking to get a PS5 for my nephew for his birthday. Our pre-order never arrived, and im desperately looking for one for him. Apparently if you have BT broadband you can log into My BT and can get an access code that allows you to get one through the BT shop area on the website. If anybody has a code and does not need it, i would be forever grateful. Mods, if this is not allowed, please let me know and ill remove the post. Thanks in advance.

Soldato
im just following what someone on HUKD posted - it seems some people were emailed a code, or if you access my BT tomorrow morning it may appear in the 'offers' section.

Associate
Just had my BT Fibre 900 installed - amazingly there was an unblocked duct under the lawn. I wasn't expecting that for a 1980 build house.

Currently downloading a game from Steam at 115 MB/s :D

I am however on the wrong upload profile of 50 Mb/s - I've read I should give it a couple of days before chasing BT as it can take a while for the right profile to kick-in. If I'm not on the proper profile by Monday I'll post on the BT Forums as theres an on-going thread there where the BT folks get it sorted for people.

Back
Top Bottom