Windows 10 FAQ

Soldato
Done that - it was first thing I did - I did exactly like you said -Using my backup PC W10 - Got the windows installation tool - Loaded W10 Pro (Have the key for that) - I unplugged all HDDs and deleted and formatted one of the drive so had a clean sheet - Went back to main PC - plugged in clean drive - put stick in and it did what I have described above - Did this on repeat with disc - -with W7 home - W7 pro -These by the way are all 64bit - W7 Ultima is 32 bit and one of the things I found online was the problem only happens on 64bit -a ll attempts to load W10 or reload W7 came up with the same thing - "load driver"

I am now at the end of my ability - out of my depth up to my nose and starting to drown.
Funny enough 6 months ago I would have been throwing this lot out of the window but for some reason I am just taking each day as it comes and not expecting much.

Right now is the time I wish I had gone higher up the chain from AMD1 board and chip - this backup PC is rather slow.:)

Soldato
Done that - it was first thing I did - I did exactly like you said -Using my backup PC W10 - Got the windows installation tool - Loaded W10 Pro (Have the key for that) - I unplugged all HDDs and deleted and formatted one of the drive so had a clean sheet - Went back to main PC - plugged in clean drive - put stick in and it did what I have described above - Did this on repeat with disc - -with W7 home - W7 pro -These by the way are all 64bit - W7 Ultima is 32 bit and one of the things I found online was the problem only happens on 64bit -a ll attempts to load W10 or reload W7 came up with the same thing - "load driver"

I am now at the end of my ability - out of my depth up to my nose and starting to drown.
Funny enough 6 months ago I would have been throwing this lot out of the window but for some reason I am just taking each day as it comes and not expecting much.

Right now is the time I wish I had gone higher up the chain from AMD1 board and chip - this backup PC is rather slow.:)

Installs only usually ask for a driver if it's set to e.g. RAID.

Are you sure BIOS is set to ACHI and not to some other setting accidentally? Reset BIOS to default?

Soldato
Bios is set to ACHI and I am using Samsung 250gig SSD but a old one. -- Motherboard is GA-Z87-HD3 - certainly not set to Raid.

Thanks for help so far lads. When all this is over I am going to update my back up PC :D

ps - I do miss dual monitors

Soldato
Bios is set to ACHI and I am using Samsung 250gig SSD but a old one. -- Motherboard is GA-Z87-HD3 - certainly not set to Raid.

Thanks for help so far lads. When all this is over I am going to update my back up PC :D

ps - I do miss dual monitors

Probably worth powering down and manually resetting BIOS with shorting terminals and retrying install?

Soldato
DXP55 - your forensic weekend!

1. manually reset the BIOS, disconnect any hard drive - reboot - what does it report?

2. make a Linux bootable usb distribution e.g. How to Install Linux OS on USB Drive and Run it On Any PC (tecmint.com)
does it run?

3. install linux on A DIFFERENT hdd/ssd (any old drive) from e.g. rufus - does it work?

4 if that works - try installing linux on your samsung. Does it work?

5. if that works try installing windows10 on the same components. ??

(or some combination of these activities)

Mel

Soldato
Mel
You are way over my head - really !

Would this work.
Take SSD out of my backup PC - put a claen one in and load W10 to it - if it works can I then remove SSD and install it in my Main PC - I would skip the add key part till it's in main PC.

Soldato
I think the problem lies either with the BIOS or the SSD.

Is there a "clear BIOS" button on the mother board? If so then turn off power and press button. See motherboard manual. If there isn't, turn off power and take out button cell for a few minutes.

When you have done this try the media creation tool using a
different SSD or HDD if possible. If you don't have a different one try the one that didn't work before. Format it again before if possible.

Soldato
I have been in bios and hit F9 - I am sure it works as it took a while for box to go.
Looks like i will have to take my time and plod on - I am sure one way or another it will get fixed - just have to make sure I don't bust the backup PC. - This main Pc has been faultless since I built it 7 yrs ago.

Thanks

Soldato
Does the bios actually see the SSD? Give us something to work with here, post photos where possible. :D

Go back to the BIOS and confirm that your SSD is listed in the drive - see page 58 - ensure SATA is set to ACHI

see GA-Z87-HD3 (rev. 1.x) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Then press F7 - load optimised defaults
then press F10 - save and exit

Then try windows install again?

WHY did you press F9? (unless I have a different manual?)

Soldato
Thanks so far lads - I am now taking a break and will use the back up PC for a while - will move it to where main one is so I can have my two monitors and sit and think about it then start again with the info you have posted - As you suggest I think i have a Bios problem so will read the manual again and again - This sort of stuff makes my eyse roll :)
I am even pricing up new motherboards and chips:(

Soldato
It's resolvable don't dump the hardware! - just settings or perhaps a new SSD will resolve it - Only £25-£30 from OCUK.

When you post again will be here (have it on my watch list). Best of luck - Mel

Soldato
@DXP55
I've had a Samsung 840 EVO die on me all of a sudden, with no warning or reason. Luckily I keep regular backups, but the sudden loss of files still annoys me.

I'm just wondering if it's possible that your Samsung SSD has also bitten the dust? It's quick and easy to test, just put another drive in the PC and let rip.

Back
Top Bottom