Google Pixel 5

Associate
Snagged a pixel 5 for the mrs on a good black friday deal, will she need a case? She normally slaps a plain bumper on her phones straight away but is the metal/plastic back durable enough to run naked?

Any other set up tips? She's coming from a P20 pro so completely new to the pixel software.

The back will survive naked , but it'll get damaged if dropped. I don't imagine the "paint" over the metal is that strong.

I find ladies typically put phones in handbags with loads of stuff, so a case more essential, where as men put in pockets a with nothing, so less essential.

Soldato
Snagged a pixel 5 for the mrs on a good black friday deal, will she need a case? She normally slaps a plain bumper on her phones straight away but is the metal/plastic back durable enough to run naked?

Any other set up tips? She's coming from a P20 pro so completely new to the pixel software.
what was the deal ? am looking for one for my missus :D

Associate
Was a Vodafone deal, £30 a month for 60GB data, £10 upfront for the phone. Makes it £730 over 24 months. Was considering just buying the phone but contract works out cheaper, think the equivalent sim-only deal was £11 a month after cashback.

Associate
Was a Vodafone deal, £30 a month for 60GB data, £10 upfront for the phone. Makes it £730 over 24 months. Was considering just buying the phone but contract works out cheaper, think the equivalent sim-only deal was £11 a month after cashback.

I got a deal from phones4u I think they're called I paid £150 (up-front) for unlimited calls and texts and 30GB data for £26 a month. With vodafone.

Soldato
What follows is a brief review of 3 mobile networks, and how well they support the features on the Pixel 5. Might help someone.
  • Virgin: no WiFi calling or VOLTE. No 5G.
  • Three: WiFi calling and VOLTE, but no option to prefer either which is useless for me because my phone kept dropping calls when it thought the 4G signal was strong enough. 5G coverage was present in a few places I visited in North London.
  • O2: WiFi calling and VOLTE, with a preference toggle. Hooray! No more dropped calls. 5G coverage was present in one or two places I visited in North London. Also, they support visual voicemail. I think O2 is the only UK network to support this on Android. Double hooray!
Anyway, will be staying on O2 for now because they seem to be the best for features and signal where I live (EN3, London)

Last edited:
Soldato
Can those with this phone advise what the call quality is like? I’m in the market for a new phone and I’ve had a Pixel 3A previously, and liked it, but I’ve read that the earpiece speaker isn’t very good as it’s behind the glass. I spend a lot of time on the phone so it’s important it’s clear and this might be a deal breaker. Any experiences?

Soldato
Can those with this phone advise what the call quality is like? I’m in the market for a new phone and I’ve had a Pixel 3A previously, and liked it, but I’ve read that the earpiece speaker isn’t very good as it’s behind the glass. I spend a lot of time on the phone so it’s important it’s clear and this might be a deal breaker. Any experiences?

It works OK. The advantage is you can put your ear pretty much wherever you want and you'll still hear the sound. The disadvantage is that it does sound a bit muffled compared to a conventional speaker.

Soldato
I had to turn the old school style buttons on the bottom. I found the results quite inconsitent when trying to bring up the currently running apps, sometimes it popped up seemingly without moving my finger, other times it didn't recognise the swipe at all.

Back
Top Bottom