Downloading and Making a Bootable Mac OS USb on a Windows machine

Associate
Something I'm trying to do at the moment. I don't often use macs but i'm trying to fix one that needs an OS reinstall, but only have a windows machine to do it on. I'm looking at tutorials online but I can't seem to find a Mac OS Image file online, Id rather avoid torrents if at all possible.

The standard method of trying to reinstall OS from recovery partition yields the "this item is temporarily unavailable " error and Ive heard making a bootable USb is the better/easier option

its a Macbook Pro 2015 running on El Capitan

many thanks for any help

Associate
OP
There isn’t a legit way to do it unless it’s macOS. Try using Cmd + option + R on the Mac in question.

Ive used that option, there is no time machine backup and the reinstall OS option just comes up with temporarily unavailable for some reason

I have used the software at https://github.com/corpnewt/gibMacOS to get images in the past.

It's just a python script so should work on Windows.

Not sure where to even start with that solution but i appreciate the post, where would I even attempt doing this with a macbook that refuses to boot up

Associate
It shouldn't be that difficult, if you've got Python installed on your Windows PC it should just be a case of downloading the software from github and running the gibMacOs.bat file.

On the Mac I just run the gibMacOS.command file and it launches a command prompt with a menu where you can choose an ISO to download.

Back
Top Bottom