Ice Cube Trays

Soldato
I used to use ice cube bags but they can be a bit of work getting ice out when you are under any kind of influence.

Im on the hunt for a tray that is covered but at the same time is easy to get the cubes out without dropping all the others on the table. Something maybe silicon with a sort of box underneath that you put the cubes in for storage. Actually storage is not that important more ease of getting a few out without dropping the rest and with a cover.

I was wondering if anyone had a decent favorite ice cube tray.

Soldato
OP
Big ice cubes are the best ice cubes. I have a couple of these trays.
I have been looking at the large ones recently because I bought some bags that give you really small cubes, but that was a pain as you got a mouthful of small ice cubes every gulp and it made me think about the right size of cubes. Ill probably go poncy and get the round ones.

Make your ice ahead of time and store en masse in the freezer.

This doesn't seem like a problem that needs over thinking for those moments when you've been over drinking.
Oh I have ice cubes. Lots.

I use the bags that you fill with water and they give you lots of cubes but as I say it can be a faff when you just want a couple of cubes. The bags you are meant to once frozen divide the cubes by pulling the bag apart and leave in the bag in freezer. Sounds great but when I did that they all then stuck together in a large frozen mass resulting in me getting the hammer out.

There is just too much choice for everything nowadays

Soldato
I have been looking at the large ones recently because I bought some bags that give you really small cubes, but that was a pain as you got a mouthful of small ice cubes every gulp and it made me think about the right size of cubes. Ill probably go poncy and get the round ones.

Oh I have ice cubes. Lots.

I use the bags that you fill with water and they give you lots of cubes but as I say it can be a faff when you just want a couple of cubes. The bags you are meant to once frozen divide the cubes by pulling the bag apart and leave in the bag in freezer. Sounds great but when I did that they all then stuck together in a large frozen mass resulting in me getting the hammer out.

There is just too much choice for everything nowadays

Just run the bag under the tap.

Caporegime
I don't care about my ice being cubes, I just fill a tupperware box with like 1/3 an inch of water than crack the sheet and stick a chunk in my drink.

if you want semi transparent ice boil the water to get rid of the chlorine etc, but it will still be cloudy from the salts.

obviously dont put boiling water in your fridge or freezer they cant cope with the heat

Associate
Just freeze them in trays (or whatever) and when they are completely frozen stick them in a ziplock bag for longer term storage. As long as they are completely frozen, and you do it quickly so they don't start to melt, they shouldn't stick together, it's only if they are wet they will do that.

Permabanned
I used to fill the plastic coca cola cups, The red plastic ones i guess they are a good 330ml and i simply froze the entore thing into a giant ice cube and when i wanted ice i ran the cup under warm water until this 330ml ice cube came out and put it into a pint glass.

Probably the best yet, Massive cooling potential, Little refills.

Associate
Thread nearly delivers. I'm still looking for something 'just right'. I do not want silicon as they are a bawbag to get the cubes out. I want a classic semihard plastic with a simple twist release with each cube being a decent inch or so in size. I'll try using the "bottom of a container, smashed up" technique whilst I'm looking.

Soldato
Sonny will be along in a minute to tell you that your ice cube trays are crap and you need to spend at least £500 for something remotely decent ;)

Associate
ASDA Silicone ice Cube Tray. £2 each. 15 big but not massive cubes, around 30-35mm. Very easy to remove the cubes.

I've kept three of these on the go in my ice cube tray for a couple of years. No complaints at all. Which reminds me, I should start bagging some up for family visits over Christmas.

Ice from supermarkets melts very quickly due to the way they're made, only for emergencies :)

Back
Top Bottom