• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Nvidia managed to sell over $150 million worth of GPU dies to miners...

If they had that kind of relationship with some of the bigger mining farms I wonder if they would sell actual GPUs (though they do have better resale potential) rather than output-less compute cards which were optimised for mining (which would be much better for income for the miners). Because you are going to need some fairly serious industry relationships to sell that kind of volume to mining without openly doing so.

Associate
There are some gamers who also mine.. so its difficult to make a clear distinction anyways.
But nvidia sucked at launch so did amd. I just feel burnt out sticking out so long, if all i had to do was order a 3090 at launch.. bad taste. Hopefully, a new competitor will emerge to cater to the market of disenchanted PC Gamers. I want to see both of them begging for DIY revenues atleast once in my lifetime and have a good laugh about it.. thats another tantrum from my side.

Associate
:D
LAS-VEGAS-NV-JANUARY-04-Nvidia-Founder-President-and-CEO-Jen-Hsun-Huang-delivers-a-keynote-address-a.jpg

Soldato
ROFL

I can call AMD a liar just like Trump after they stole $10 after lied claimed they will have plenty of supply compared to Ampere launch and also AMD claimed SAM will be exclusive to Ryzen 5000 series and 500 series chipsets only. Motherboards manufacturers will have SAM enabled on 300 and 400 series chipsets in upcoming beta BIOSes.

What all the Nvidia haters are missing out in, I'm about to blow everyone's minds

Seems to be lots of people thinking Nvidia sold all their Ampete cards to miners

OK, but then those same people are indirectly saying that Nvidia has managed to sell all its cards to miners AND provide 10 times more launch retailer stock than AMD who doesn't sell to miners...

So really by pushing this narrative that all the Ampere cards went to miners just makes AMD looks worse, they didn't even sell to miners and still had 10 times less stock, how bad is AMD then

Soldato
I just did some measurements. I won't be able to fit either the Sapphire Nitro+ or the Red Devil in my micro ATX case. It can take full size cards upto 280 in length.

Hmm. It can fit a stock 6900 XT though lol.

I may have to swap my case back from the one I gave my daughter, and give her my EVGA Hadron case.

Soldato
A user from reddit has down some power limit testing with 3rd party software

seems the big Navi cards are either overvolted from stock or AMD has the overclocked the cards hard to make them competitive cause just like Ampere, Bug Navi retains most of its performance with significant power savings

you can maintain 95% of performance with a 20%/60w reduction in power draw

and you can maintain 75% of performance with a 50%/150w reduction in power draw

They're not clocked quite as hard as ampere though but still over their efficient peak, on the rtx3090 you can save 80w/22% and maintain 90% performance so the 3090 is overclocked from factory slightly harder than the 6800xt but both cards are clearly overclocked pas their peak efficiency and you can achieve significant power reduction for just 5-10% performance loss

e6rf1979oy161.png

Last edited:
Soldato
A user from reddit has down some power limit testing with 3rd party software

seems the big Navi cards are either overvolted from stock or AMD has the overclocked the cards hard to make them competitive cause just like Ampere, Bug Navi retains most of its performance with significant power savings

you can maintain 95% of performance with a 20%/60w reduction in power draw

and you can maintain 75% of performance with a 50%/150w reduction in power draw

Interesting logic.

How do you justify calling it overvolting and overclocked when it's the stock settings from the chip designer and manufacturer.

They've tuned it to fit performance and power and thermals plus extra for reliability when applied to every chip.

Soldato
There’s just too much performance left on the table to conclude that AMD overclocked their reference 6800XT.

There is ample room for a 6800XTX but why bother when the AIBs have done such a great job with their custom cards?

Soldato
It's not part of the earning report. An earning report is a disclosure made by the exchange traded entity.

Rather, its part of an equity research note prepared by a broker/investment bank (a third party). These contain various speculations and forecasts as well. These reports are aimed at institutional investors who discount them completely. They're bombarded by atleast 10 such unsolicited reports per day.

Btw i am surprised that you are not angry at AMD :confused:

Here is an excerpt from the note (which is clearly based on assumptions):
snip

Link to where you got that screenshot from please.

The site that i checked previously said nothing about estimates (from memory) and is now locked behind a paywall.

Soldato
Indeed. Both AMD and Nvidia are scummy, and only a fanboy moron would bother thinking that one is "less worse" than the other :D
Those tears are delicious.
Since you can't actually name what amd did other then price higher with low availability. I wouldn't call it scummy.

But sell all available stock to miners making people wait weeks/month. Along with all the other things mention and still defend them. You are right. It takes one to ignore all that.
Rolf
:D

Last edited:
Soldato
There’s just too much performance left on the table to conclude that AMD overclocked their reference 6800XT.

There is ample room for a 6800XTX but why bother when the AIBs have done such a great job with their custom cards?
Well according to the some people on the forums, RDNA2 has a severe memory bottleneck. So AMD could slap some GDDR6X on it or release a 384 bit version (assuming they were testing it in the lab), call it the xtx version and they would have the undisputed gaming crown.

Seriously if it is a memory bottleneck it would be intesresting to see if AMD releases a version with more bandwidth to take the crown on both fronts. I know i would if i was running AMD.

Caporegime
Well according to the some people on the forums, RDNA2 has a severe memory bottleneck. So AMD could slap some GDDR6X on it or release a 384 bit version (assuming they were testing it in the lab), call it the xtx version and they would have the undisputed gaming crown.

Seriously if it is a memory bottleneck it would be intesresting to see if AMD releases a version with more bandwidth to take the crown on both fronts. I know i would if i was running AMD.
If there was a memory bottleneck, oveclocking the memory would lead to gains, but it’s core overocking that scales well from my testing.

Associate
If there was a memory bottleneck, oveclocking the memory would lead to gains, but it’s core overocking that scales well from my testing.
GDDR6 will give you error corrections (so lower fps) if overclocked over 2150 or so. In fact you should check what is the frequency that gives you the most fps ( between 2000-2150Mhz ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom