Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [27th - 30th Nov 2020]

Soldato
Just got back in and saw the Klopp interview and to be fair I agree with him. The broadcasters know how everything is at the moment but they have just been selfish picking the games that suits them instead of being reasonable.
Okay but why shouldn't they? They pay unfathomable amounts of money for the rights to these games, if the league or the clubs cared enough I'm sure they could negotiate a lower fee in exchange for protections for these teams, the mid week European/cup games into the weekend games isn't some new thing that only became a problem this season. BT aren't going to tell Sky they can have the Liverpool game so they can have a bit more rest and take West Brom - Sheffield United for their 'main' Saturday afternoon pick, that's an awful deal for BT.

Don
Okay but why shouldn't they? They pay unfathomable amounts of money for the rights to these games, if the league or the clubs cared enough I'm sure they could negotiate a lower fee in exchange for protections for these teams, the mid week European/cup games into the weekend games isn't some new thing that only became a problem this season. BT aren't going to tell Sky they can have the Liverpool game so they can have a bit more rest and take West Brom - Sheffield United for their 'main' Saturday afternoon pick, that's an awful deal for BT.
BT don't have to tell Sky that, that's the point. BT could have kept the Liverpool game and swapped the kick-off time with Sky, with Sky showing Everton - Leeds at 12.30pm and the Liverpool game at 5.30pm. The 12.30pm and 5.30pm slots are no more or less valuable (at least they're not sold as if they were) so nobody is losing out. It's not like we're not seeing games moved all over the place at the moment just to fit in more kick-off times for the extra non contracted games so there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't do this for the contracted games.

These TV contracts were agreed before covid, before we ended up with a full season being played in a 4 week shorter period. Everybody should be willing to compromise but the broadcasters aren't. They're pointing to their contract and saying sorry, tough ****.

Soldato

They could always have one of the teams that play on the Tuesday.

Soldato
Yeah I agree, if Liverpool had been away mid week then they would have a valid point, but were at home so it’s no different than a domestic cup game

Soldato
BT don't have to tell Sky that, that's the point. BT could have kept the Liverpool game and swapped the kick-off time with Sky, with Sky showing Everton - Leeds at 12.30pm and the Liverpool game at 5.30pm. The 12.30pm and 5.30pm slots are no more or less valuable (at least they're not sold as if they were) so nobody is losing out. It's not like we're not seeing games moved all over the place at the moment just to fit in more kick-off times for the extra non contracted games so there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't do this for the contracted games.

These TV contracts were agreed before covid, before we ended up with a full season being played in a 4 week shorter period. Everybody should be willing to compromise but the broadcasters aren't. They're pointing to their contract and saying sorry, tough ****.
Didn’t sky lose the 1230pm slot? I don’t think they can swap between broadcasters
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-channel-changes?dcmp=knc-ggl-brn-ec-1708794447-

Soldato

Problem is if there isn't a compromise then some of the 'top' teams aren't going to be very attractive to watch due to having most of the 1st team injured.

Soldato
They could always have one of the teams that play on the Tuesday.
That’s something the PL and the broadcasters have to arrange between themselves but seem reluctant to do so, Tuesday kick off CL clubs should be the only teams selected for sat lunch and 3pm kick offs, Wednesday kick off CL should be Saturday late and Sunday lunch and Thursday EL should be late Sunday and the Monday games

Don
Didn’t sky lose the 1230pm slot? I don’t think they can swap between broadcasters
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-channel-changes?dcmp=knc-ggl-brn-ec-1708794447-
Yes, my point is that Sky and BT can swap their slots. Nobody loses out if BT keep their pick of Brighton - Liverpool and swap the kick-off time with Sky. There's no reason why this couldn't happen other than Sky & BT not wanting to.
Have we not got a dedicated thread to discuss all things BT and SKY TV broadcasting rather than cluttering this thread?
There's a TV rights thread but we'll probably end up with spoilers in their given the context.

Soldato
Klopp is such a hypocrite. He's a happy chappy when things goes his way, everyone's best friend but when he doesn't get what he wants he turns nasty. I don't mind nasty, I object to this illusion of being nice.

He didn't make and coherent arguement why 2.5 hours makes a difference. He doesn't like 1230 but 3pm is fine? Why?

Ignoring that, football is about resource management. Liverpool are incredibly successful and can maintain a huge squad to compete in multiple competitions. Their financial reward is huge for doing so. This supports a bigger squad with more talent.

It is completely objectionable for Klopp to get on his high horse because he can't play his preferred team due to the congestion of fixtures. He has the resources to keep players safe, he chooses not to do so

Soldato
Yes, my point is that Sky and BT can swap their slots. Nobody loses out if BT keep their pick of Brighton - Liverpool and swap the kick-off time with Sky. There's no reason why this couldn't happen other than Sky & BT not wanting to.

leading down a dark path if sky and Bt start swapping time slots when they see fit, don’t the PL sell the prime time packages with other time slots for reason?

Don
leading down a dark path if sky and Bt start swapping time slots when they see fit, don’t the PL sell the prime time packages with other time slots for reason?
This season is a one off and Sky/BT would need the PL's agreement to do it. Who would argue if it was agreed to switch the 12.30pm and 5.30pm games today? Nobody. And yes, the different slots have different values - the Sunday 4-4.30pm is the prime slot then it's Saturday 12.30pm & 5.30pm pretty much level, then Sunday 2pm and finally the least valuable is Friday & Saturday 8pm. That's why swapping the 12.30 and 5.30 slots doesn't disadvantage anybody.
Klopp is such a hypocrite.
I know it won't get the press when he says it about other sides but Klopp has been making these same points since day one, when it's been an advantage to Liverpool and or gone against Liverpool's rivals. Whether you agree with him is another point but he's absolutely not a hypocrite. Just a few weeks ago, before Liverpool were scheduled to play at this time, he made the exact same argument when Utd were asked to play Wednesday and then Saturday lunchtime, when Liverpool played Tuesday-Sunday.

Soldato
This season is a one off and Sky/BT would need the PL's agreement to do it. Who would argue if it was agreed to switch the 12.30pm and 5.30pm games today? Nobody. And yes, the different slots have different values - the Sunday 4-4.30pm is the prime slot then it's Saturday 12.30pm & 5.30pm pretty much level, then Sunday 2pm and finally the least valuable is Friday & Saturday 8pm. That's why swapping the 12.30 and 5.30 slots doesn't disadvantage anybody.

I know it won't get the press when he says it about other sides but Klopp has been making these same points since day one, when it's been an advantage to Liverpool and or gone against Liverpool's rivals. Whether you agree with him is another point but he's absolutely not a hypocrite. Just a few weeks ago, before Liverpool were scheduled to play at this time, he made the exact same argument when Utd were asked to play Wednesday and then Saturday lunchtime, when Liverpool played Tuesday-Sunday.
It's his behaviour not the topic I take issue with. He's a total **** when he loses but wants to be everyone's best friend when he wins. I can't stand the two faced behaviour that I see in him. Other managers have the grace to maintain a personality even if it is unpleasant...they own it

Don
It's his behaviour not the topic I take issue with. He's a total **** when he loses but wants to be everyone's best friend when he wins. I can't stand the two faced behaviour that I see in him.
So what you're saying is he's angry when he loses and is in a good mood when he wins? :confused: And trust me, he's been a **** to journalists when we've won too, if they ask him stupid questions anyway.

Associate
It's his behaviour not the topic I take issue with. He's a total **** when he loses but wants to be everyone's best friend when he wins. I can't stand the two faced behaviour that I see in him. Other managers have the grace to maintain a personality even if it is unpleasant...they own it

The interviewer was the one goading him. Bang out of order. Doing everything to provoke a reaction.

Back
Top Bottom