RIP - Dave Prowse

Associate
Even though James Earl Jones gave Vader the voice, David gave him the menacing precense. in his very first scene, he strides in like the badass he is. And before he said a word, you knew who you were dealing with.

Soldato
RIP

Slight thread derailment, but we saw him do a joint talk at BlueDot Festival a year or so ago and I've never been more disappointed. He was doing the talk with the guy who crafted Darth Vaders helmet and then there was a Q&A afterwards. The guy couldn't have given less of a damn about Star Wars, frankly. The answers to pretty much all questions were disappointing, he cared little for the film, which if you're doing a talk in front of a thousand people you'd expect he'd show one scintilla of adoration for. Frankly, it came across as just a thing that made him tonnes of money. I suppose you can't blame him for that, it was a job, but if you are going to go on public speaking events then you at least have to act like you wanted to be there! The helmet/model maker was infinitely more interesting and engaging.

Remembered well for the Green Cross Code Man, of which he was very proud of.

Commissario
RIP

Slight thread derailment, but we saw him do a joint talk at BlueDot Festival a year or so ago and I've never been more disappointed. He was doing the talk with the guy who crafted Darth Vaders helmet and then there was a Q&A afterwards. The guy couldn't have given less of a damn about Star Wars, frankly. The answers to pretty much all questions were disappointing, he cared little for the film, which if you're doing a talk in front of a thousand people you'd expect he'd show one scintilla of adoration for. Frankly, it came across as just a thing that made him tonnes of money. I suppose you can't blame him for that, it was a job, but if you are going to go on public speaking events then you at least have to act like you wanted to be there! The helmet/model maker was infinitely more interesting and engaging.

Remembered well for the Green Cross Code Man, of which he was very proud of.

You should watch ‘I am your fathers documentary on Amazon prime. Interesting watch, I think that made him very anti Star Wars in his later years.

Soldato
RIP indeed.
Whether he loved or hated it, he was the embodiment of the role.
But at the same time, I knew of him as the green cross code man, long before I learnt he was vader.

Two major parts of my childhood in one swing.. do one 2020, just do one..

RIP

Soldato
You should watch ‘I am your fathers documentary on Amazon prime. Interesting watch, I think that made him very anti Star Wars in his later years.

The two things that immediately made me think something wasn't right was when he came out at the start of the talk and sang - to the tune of the Star Wars theme - "Star Wars......made me a fortune....paid off my mortgage.....bought me a car...."

Then watching him seemingly unwittingly break Star Wars fans hearts by tepid and uninteresting responses to their questions. It was just incredibly disappointing to witness. These people got the chance of a lifetime to ask him a question...I guess never meet your heroes.

I'm pretty sure the whole thing is available to watch on Youtube from the BlueDot youtube channel, well worth watching just for the talk from the model maker alone, he was fascinating.

Soldato
RIP.

It's a shame nothing has been posted on Starwars.com to honour his memory. I wonder if his fallout with George Lucas had something to do with that.

IIRC there was tension between the studio (Lucas) and David and they had fallen out many years ago. He wasn't included outside of the franchise much.

Associate
He did a great job of the physical acting of Darth Vader, though the idea his voice was also to be used was a step too far. Darth Vader with a West Country accent isnt quite as menacing.

He was great in all regards as the Green Cross Code guy though.

Caporegime
Apparently, his work as the Green Cross Code man was his favourite job, and like many, I have fond memories of him in those adverts.

Played the part of a Sith warrior with great poise. RIP, Lord Vader. :(

Back
Top Bottom