Poll: Bahrain Grand Prix 2020, Sakhir - Race 15/17

Rate the 2020 Bahrain Grand Prix out of 10

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Not really. Big money celebrity sponsorships are a more recent thing.

I disagree. I remember Schumacher earning massively from sponsors in his prime. Alonso too, though all before 2008.

Alonso brought with him over $100m of sponsorship from Santander. Sure that went to the team, but I bet he had a nice chunk himself.

Even after 2008 and after drinks and tobacco was banned, Schumacher was earning well. In 2013 he was earning $3m a year wearing caps with the investment firm DVAG logo on. Navyboot and Jet Set also used to pay him $4m a year before his accident.

These days it seems the drivers sign over more image rights to the teams in return for a higher salary.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone else find that drivers need to accept change regarding future tyres?

Personally, I just don’t think you can trust drivers when it comes to tyre choice and feedback. They all want a tyre that will do 40 laps at full pace while giving amazing grip so they can continue to 1 stop strategy. If a fast soft tyre degrades and loses grip, then they need to tyre manage and it is poor racing. If it gives relatively good grip and degrades quickly its a safety issue. I just do not see them ever being happy with a tyre unless it can do 50 plus laps at max pace with no need to stop.

The loss of refuelling has limited strategy choice, but I feel asking tyre manufacturers to give this element back is asking them to supply a product that will never please the F1 drivers.

Back
Top Bottom